RESOURCES (LEGAL TO USE?)

Pages: 1
Let's say (hypothetically) that i am making a commercial project.
Would it be illegal if i use EDITED resources such as recolors or frankensprites?
Of course, if the unedited resources are legal to use for commercial purposes.
If the unedited resources were already legal for use in commercial purposes in the first place, then your problem is...?
I thought.. If a person edits an unedited resource to his/her desire, doesn't it become his/her resource? (kinda)
Nope, alterating something doesn't make it yours.
Maybe if you edit it so far that the original resource is not distinguishable at all.
Cause then it would be more or less original material, only that you used something else as a reference.
If you are just color changing and combining free use material (Such as REFMAP) then you would need to contact the creator before selling it. They might not want you to sell their work, or they might want to be credited/make profit. I haven't gone with commercial games before so I'm not too sure, but there are usually restriction on the sale of free resources.
author=Scorneo
I thought.. If a person edits an unedited resource to his/her desire, doesn't it become his/her resource? (kinda)

Still, it is a courtesy to give credit to the original authors for using their resources. It is a bonus if you contact them, but at the very least give credit.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Scorneo

Just want to point out that, depending on the license under which the resource is released, you might not even be allowed to make edits.

All resources are accompanied by a licensing agreement, usually located with the resource itself or outlined somewhere on the author's website. It's a good idea to read them so you know what you can and can't do. If in doubt, ask the original authors politely and I'm sure they'll be happy to assist you.
An easy loophole is to offer your game for free, but put up a donation box (through paypal or whatever) along with a simple message of "if you enjoyed this game, please donate." That way, you're not technically selling your game, but you can still generate some cash flow regardless of the resources used.
author=Fallen-Griever
author=PepsiOtaku
An easy loophole is to offer your game for free, but put up a donation box (through paypal or whatever) along with a simple message of "if you enjoyed this game, please donate." That way, you're not technically selling your game, but you can still generate some cash flow regardless of the resources used.
I wonder what would happen if someone did this on a gamepage...

IS GAME STILL AMATEUR ENOUGH FOR RMN!?

I'd be shameless enough to do it, but I need a quality game first!
I remember making a Super Mario Bros X level and I used someone's Mario Sprite. He told me to give him credit. I told him I'd give credit to Nintendo for making it.
What about original resources if the author have not stated anything about commercial use on the thread and is no longer active (or inactive for a long time; can't be contacted.). Does it make it OK to use his/her resources if he/she is properly credited without having to ask for permission?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
Just to be reasonable, if they've fallen off the face of the earth, I still wouldn't use his/her resources without permission with intent to sell.

Legally, if they've never said "DON'T STEAL!", then I suppose it would be alright, but still.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Generally, it's better to assume everyone will have certain conditions and/or reservations about their resources being used commercially. If the author(s) can't be contacted, I'd look for other resources just to be on the safe side.
Pages: 1