IS EVOLUTION RUINING OUR LIVES?

Pages: first 123 next last
Due to evolution when kids reach the year of ten, they tend to receive phones, iPods, iPads, Laptops, Mp3, Mp4, and various items of equal worth. What happened to the good old days when you got Pokemon cards? Or Yu- Gi- Oh? Imagine a society with electronics. Everyone is just sitting around listening to there music or concentrating on there computer screen. I just have a question. Do you think that a world where only electronics will be created over time if this continues? It's a yes or no question. If you want to put on a reason, go ahead.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Due to evolution when kids reach the year of ten, they tend to receive phones, iPods, iPads, Laptops, Mp3, Mp4, and various items of equal worth.
I would like to point out this isn't evolution so much as it is advances in technology.

Also, MP4 is a container for audio and/or video data and MP3 is an audio encoding format. Neither can be handled in the same way as the other physical items you described. Please understand what you're talking about before you use it in putting forth an argument.

What happened to the good old days when you got Pokemon cards? Or Yu- Gi- Oh?
Kids still play them as far as I know, those things (especially the TCGs you named) don't go out of style that quickly (they still haven't).

Imagine a society with electronics.
It's been reality ever since Benjamin Franklin first discovered electricity and Thomas Edison invented the electric light bulb.

Everyone is just sitting around listening to there music or concentrating on there computer screen.
Jukeboxes and radio have satisfied peoples' desire for music long before MP3 players came into popularity. On the video side, television and movies have kept us in our seats longer than computer monitors. Nothing's changed that much, really.

I just have a question. Do you think that a world where only electronics will be created over time if this continues? It's a yes or no question. If you want to put on a reason, go ahead.
Electronics won't be produced without its source materials and humans properly fed to assemble them, so no: A time when "only electronics will be produced" will never come.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
yeah, KA nailed everything i was typing before i had a chance to finish.

as far as the trading cards go, i am a member of a pokemon league, of which i am the oldest member. i go every two weeks and play pokemon with a bunch of young kids. many of whom actually prefer the card game to the video games!
I am actually going to play Yu-Gi-Oh on friday. Trading Cards will never die. Never.

And yes, I totally prefer card games/other tabletop stuff to video games.
There was a time in sophomore year in college where I got immensely into Pokemon trading cards and Magic. Fun times. It started with me playing the Pokemon Trading Card Game on the gameboy color, then everyone in the dorm joined in :D
We are contributors to this problem, because we create the games they play all day. (All right, we create the games we play all day)
author=KingArthur
Due to evolution when kids reach the year of ten, they tend to receive phones, iPods, iPads, Laptops, Mp3, Mp4, and various items of equal worth.
I would like to point out this isn't evolution so much as it is advances in technology.

Also, MP4 is a container for audio and/or video data and MP3 is an audio encoding format. Neither can be handled in the same way as the other physical items you described. Please understand what you're talking about before you use it in putting forth an argument.

What happened to the good old days when you got Pokemon cards? Or Yu- Gi- Oh?

Kids still play them as far as I know, those things (especially the TCGs you named) don't go out of style that quickly (they still haven't).

Imagine a society with electronics.

It's been reality ever since Benjamin Franklin first discovered electricity and Thomas Edison invented the electric light bulb.

Everyone is just sitting around listening to there music or concentrating on there computer screen.

Jukeboxes and radio have satisfied peoples' desire for music long before MP3 players came into popularity. On the video side, television and movies have kept us in our seats longer than computer monitors. Nothing's changed that much, really.

I just have a question. Do you think that a world where only electronics will be created over time if this continues? It's a yes or no question. If you want to put on a reason, go ahead.

Electronics won't be produced without its source materials and humans properly fed to assemble them, so no: A time when "only electronics will be produced" will never come.

You're the prophet I've been waiting for.
Why play with yugioh cards when I can make a deck in Yugioh: Nightmare Troubadour and play against all my favorite characters of the show I don't watch
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
author=KingArthur

MP4:

MP3:

@Topic: I don't think so it'll ruin our lives. It'll just make it different. Besides at some point you'll become bored of all that tech stuff and will want to go out.
I don't know about this stuff since I don't listen to "Hip music". I don't play the most popular games ever like "Black Ops." I stay home ranting and raving on the internet.

I also did not know that an MP4 was what it was. Apologies.

Also many people have been arguing that since Yu- Gi- Oh is just if you synchro summon first its a straight away victory.

By a society of electronics I meant "A society of where we only use electronics".

7/10 people are usually on the internet more then TV.

You never know what can happen in the future as well. There might be a machine where you are automatically fed through the stomach and gain all the nutrients from it. Who knows? No one does.
tardis
author=Omni
You never know what can happen in the future as well. There might be a machine where you are automatically fed through the stomach and gain all the nutrients from it. Who knows? No one does.

this will never, ever happen ever. we have a global restaurant/food industry for a reason- people enjoy eating. i am one such person- there are few things i enjoy as much as really well-prepared food. being tube-fed like a vegetable in a hospital is not something i would sign up for, at least not willingly. and i know without a shadow of a doubt that a whole hell of a lot of america/elsewhere is with me on that!
haha this was the first search result for "evolution". too perfect

this topic is quite misguided. it's not evolution ruining things, its human nature that's so destructive
man, fuck life without electronics.
Or even better, sucks to be the Amish. Riding in their horse drawn carriage while people fly by at 80 mph in their cars. That would be worse than NO ONE having electronics.
KingArthur
author=Rave2010
MP4:

MP3:
I assume the first picture is of a miniature video player capable of playing back videos encoded using the MP4 container. The latter is obviously an MP3 player, a piece of hardware capable of playing back MP3 format audio data.

Regardless of whatever your intent in the post was, the correct terms for them are MP4 Player and MP3 Player. When one simply says "MP4" or "MP3" it refers to the container and audio encoding format respectively; ask anyone that's spent a decent time working with encoding and/or decoding video and audio.

I also did not know that an MP4 was what it was. Apologies.
It was an honest mistake. No harm done. (。◕ ◡ ◕。)

Also many people have been arguing that since Yu- Gi- Oh is just if you synchro summon first its a straight away victory.
My Yu-Gi-Oh! deck is composed entirely of oldschool Elemental Hero cards which utilize the orthodox style of fusion (I also have totally unrelated cards like White Magician Pikeru which I adore in my deck, but that's for another time). Just because (I assume?) synchro-summons are the new cookiecutter fad doesn't mean Yu-Gi-Oh! is in a decline or whatever.

By a society of electronics I meant "A society of where we only use electronics".
Hard to envision it, really. Simply put, there are things that analog devices and methods simply excel better at than digital implements; everything has pros and cons, and electronics are not without its share of cons.

7/10 people are usually on the internet more then TV.
Before there was the internet we were all fixated on the godly entertainment of TV and we still are too, both directly (watching TV) and indirectly (watching streams/rips of TV shows).

There might be a machine where you are automatically fed through the stomach and gain all the nutrients from it.
I live by the philosophy that to eat is the very sign of being alive; there is little that compares to the sheer joy of having a good meal and I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks so! No matter what, I bet we're going to keep our culinary delight to the bitter end.

EDIT: We already have one of those feed-the-stomach machines, don't we? Albeit for medical purposes to support those that can't eat the normal way.
KingArthur
All Most of the cards are in Japanese, too! (っ´ω`)っ
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
am I the only one in the thread who still plays the original CCG
I tap two mountains to put giant's strength on my duct crawler
tardis
author=Jericho
you have a yugioh deck

yeah i am actually with KA on this one. yu-gi-oh was some pretty serious fun back in the day before it got all bloated and power-creepy.
Pages: first 123 next last