"FINAL FANTASY" GAMES - CREATIVE OUTLET OR DERIVATIVE DRIVEL?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=kentona
http://rpgmaker.net/games/429/What about this one?

Never played it, but, totally within the realms of acceptability. After all, it was that person's actual goal to make a game that would be considered a nostalgic look back at the series, or an enjoyably inclusive part of it, as opposed to making up a totally original game and branding it Final Fantasy to make it sound cool.
author=Versalia
I've played at least three "Final Fantasy" games that have nothing to do with anything in the actual FF series - including things like Espers, Materia, Moogles, Chocobos, etc nowhere to be found.

Can you tell me what games you are actually talking about? Otherwise I'm not sure I can give an opinion on this.

Otherwise from what your saying yeah it sounds stupid to make an original game with no trace of Final Fantasy and call it "Final Fantasy".

However I think people can't help but use recycled graphics because most people cannot create there own resources (obviously). With all the graphics out there being used over and over I think people become less and less confident in the idea of their own game. So they label it something popular like Final Fantasy thinking it will be more of a success... when it really turns out to be the downfall of what could have been a great original game.
Versalia
author=Ravenite1
author=Versalia
I've played at least three "Final Fantasy" games that have nothing to do with anything in the actual FF series - including things like Espers, Materia, Moogles, Chocobos, etc nowhere to be found.
Can you tell me what games you are actually talking about? Otherwise I'm not sure I can give an opinion on this.

There's a "Final Fantasy" game listed on the mainpage right now that doesn't *appear* to have anything to do with the series. Haven't played it, though. I also played one called Final Fantasy Eternal Wings that seemed to have nothing in common but the name, as well as a couple of other similarly-named ones that were so terrible and irrelevent I purged them from my memory. I'll try to link them.
Versalia
Double post ftw
author=Versalia
There's a "Final Fantasy" game listed on the mainpage right now that doesn't *appear* to have anything to do with the series.

I don't see it, are you talking about "Final Fantasy Essence"? That just came out yesterday.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2852/?post=240819#post240819
Versalia
author=Ravenite1
author=Versalia
There's a "Final Fantasy" game listed on the mainpage right now that doesn't *appear* to have anything to do with the series.
I don't see it, are you talking about "Final Fantasy Essence"? That just came out yesterday.

That's the one. I'm not describing it one way or the other though, due to lack of information. It's what reminded me of the other games, though.
author=Versalia
That's the one. I'm not describing it one way or the other though, due to lack of information. It's what reminded me of the other games, though.

Well... I guess now that you mention it there really is no reason the game should brandish the title "Final Fantasy", but I haven't played it so I will not pass any judgments.
Versalia
author=Ravenite1
Well... I guess now that you mention it there really is no reason the game should brandish the title "Final Fantasy", but I haven't played it so I will not pass any judgments.

QFT
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Just trust us when we say that there has been a fair share of "Final Fantasy" rpg maker titles out there that don't really have anything to do with the games, besides graphics.
Probably a reason you don't seem them everywhere...

I'm pretty sure I saw some really bad game back in the day, where they had chocobos that weren't even called chocobos! O_O
Some people think that if they call their game FF something, people will be more likely to download. It's not true, but it's a hard message to get out there.
I think it has the reverse effect. I avoid RPG Maker games with Final Fantasy in the title.
Versalia
author=Fallen-Griever
Almost all FF "fan-games" could be renamed with minimal impact on the gameplay. Ergo, there is no reason to include FF in the title. Hell, even if you want to include stuff like Chocobos, just re-fucking-name them.

EDIT:

I mean, seriously, even the FF games re-name common things over and over and over. Espers -> Materia. Classes -> Dresspheres etc.

That's pretty much the point I was wondering if others agreed with. But, as far as re-naming common things over and over - those aren't all visual things, or are mostly-similar concepts. I would majorly WTF if I saw a Chocobo being called something other than a Chocobo, in any game. Do a lil' sprite editing, y'all.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Versalia
I would majorly WTF if I saw a Chocobo being called something other than a Chocobo, in any game. Do a lil' sprite editing, y'all.

Like I said earlier, when I saw a chocobo in a game called something else, it was WTF moment.
It just isn't right.
it's such a familiar representation of the FF series, I think it shouldn't be used at all elsewhere.
but I used ripped graphics, so not sure I have room to talk about what should be used and can't
but hopefully ya get what I mean
Versalia
author=InfectionFiles
author=Versalia
I would majorly WTF if I saw a Chocobo being called something other than a Chocobo, in any game. Do a lil' sprite editing, y'all.
Like I said earlier, when I saw a chocobo in a game called something else, it was WTF moment.
It just isn't right.
it's such a familiar representation of the FF series, I think it shouldn't be used at all elsewhere.
but I used ripped graphics, so not sure I have room to talk about what should be used and can't
but hopefully ya get what I mean

Oh totally. I was going to quote you on that one in my last post. It's SO iconic that it's just wrong to use it.
Ripped graphics in general can't be blanketed with this statement. You may, for example, get sick of FF6 Tilesets but there's nothing inherently wrong with using them - you've just developed a personal bias. Not to mention that it's not the same thing unless you literally copied a town directly out of the game.
I love FFangames. Love. I really, really love them all. All the fangames. All the true fangames, made by heart. Created by the really existant feeling of nostalgia and love the creator has for the FF series. The feeling that created Paradise Blue and Hero's Realm. And all the so many other FFangames out there. (That still seem to be very little, maybe due to my poor searching skills.) In fact I love fangames. To revive the feeling of Parasite Eve (The second game had a totally opposite atmosphere) or Valkyrie Profile (A game that has just a single, fighting fangame (wich is BADDASSLY AWESOME (And I never used the word 'baddass' before.]) or Chrono Trigger or all the others!

Fangames are gold when made of love. And baby popo when made of OFMGHFGOMHOFGMHOMFGHO I'LL GET FAMOUS BY CREATING THIS RMXP RTP "FINAL FANTASY: tHE STAR OCEAN" GAME ABOUT A POLICE WOMAN THAT GOES INTO A CITY CALLED SILENTE RILL. HEHEHE.".
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I basically agree with the OP and don't have much else to say.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I think it's quite simple: if it's an original game that's not based on any of the Final Fantasy games, it should not be called a Final Fantasy. Now, if it has a ton of the same themes/recurring elements/same characters, then it's fair game.
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
author=Versalia
author=Ravenite1
author=Versalia

Yes, you described it- as not seeming to have anything to do with the series. :P

I"d definitely rectify your lack of info if I were you :
http://final-fantasy-essence.webs.com/

author=Deckiller
I think it's quite simple: if it's an original game that's not based on any of the Final Fantasy games, it should not be called a Final Fantasy. Now, if it has a ton of the same themes/recurring elements/same characters, then it's fair game.

I have to agree here. If someone makes a game that is their own creation, there's just no reason to slap the Final Fantasy title on there. It's your creation, just take credit for it. Calling it Final Fantasy is just confusing and rather pointless.

If you make some sort of cross-over title or a prequel/sequel, or you play heavily off its themes, feel free to call it Final Fantasy.
Pages: first prev 123 next last