NEW PARTY MEMBER BUG

Pages: 1
I can't help but feel that I've asked this before, and as far as I know there's no real solution to this problem other than restarting your playthrough; but here goes anyway.

When making adding a new member to the group, sometimes this party member starts at level 1 with no stats, regardless of the starting stats you've given him. Of course, if you start a new game the bug won't occur on the new save file.

I managed to find a quick work around in adding the new party member in a previously non existent field, but it's not an ideal solution after you've already done a lot with the character.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
If you make changes to the database, sometimes previously existing save files do not receive this updated information until something in the game itself prompts it to update.

Similarly, there are certain values that are set on initial runtime and cannot be retrieved from save files if they have been changed in the database. Can't remember what those are. Think it is stuff like EXP curves.
Yeah, when creating a new game all of the playable characters are created as objects from the templates as defined in the database at that initial time. Those objects are then saved as part of a savefile. Subsequent changes to the databse templates will NOT affect existing objects in savefiles (even if you open that save file). You have to start a new game to create new character objects from the templates.

Alternatively, if you are using classes in 2k3, you can reapply the class to refresh the character object with the new class template data.

One example of this behaviour in action is spell progression. Let's say you started a game with a character, and she's a mage and she is now level 9. Let's say that you decide that mages should get a Meteor spell at level 10, and so change the database to add that spell at level 10 for the mage. Now, if you start playing your old savefile and level up your mage, she will NOT learn the Meteor spell, because that setting was not present when that character object was created.

And it doesn't matter if the playable character is in the active party or not. All of the playable character objects get created when you start a new game.

At least, that's been my experience.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The simple solution is to set each character's starting level, equipment and skills in events when they first join your team. Leave them all blank in the database. Just do it with events.

The thing about learning spells on levelling up isn't actually true in 2K3, though. But what is true is that if you already have a level 9 mage in your saved game, and you go into the database and change the Meteor spell to be learned at level 9 or lower, your mage will never learn it. In that case, re-applying the class to refresh the character actually does work.

The downside to re-applying your class is that any permanent-stat-increasing items you've used will be negated. Oh well! This all really only matters when your game is still in testing, so that's a minor issue, you can just give yourself some new items.
author=kentona
Yeah, when creating a new game all of the playable characters are created as objects from the templates as defined in the database at that initial time. Those objects are then saved as part of a savefile. Subsequent changes to the databse templates will NOT affect existing objects in savefiles (even if you open that save file). You have to start a new game to create new character objects from the templates.

Alternatively, if you are using classes in 2k3, you can reapply the class to refresh the character object with the new class template data.

One example of this behaviour in action is spell progression. Let's say you started a game with a character, and she's a mage and she is now level 9. Let's say that you decide that mages should get a Meteor spell at level 10, and so change the database to add that spell at level 10 for the mage. Now, if you start playing your old savefile and level up your mage, she will NOT learn the Meteor spell, because that setting was not present when that character object was created.

And it doesn't matter if the playable character is in the active party or not. All of the playable character objects get created when you start a new game.

At least, that's been my experience.

I actually am using the 2k3 class system, so If I use the change class command and to reset the characters class, you can apply changes without having to restart the game?

The simple solution is to set each character's starting level, equipment and skills in events when they first join your team. Leave them all blank in the database. Just do it with events.

The thing about learning spells on levelling up isn't actually true in 2K3, though. But what is true is that if you already have a level 9 mage in your saved game, and you go into the database and change the Meteor spell to be learned at level 9 or lower, your mage will never learn it. In that case, re-applying the class to refresh the character actually does work.

The downside to re-applying your class is that any permanent-stat-increasing items you've used will be negated. Oh well! This all really only matters when your game is still in testing, so that's a minor issue, you can just give yourself some new items.

Doing that means you don't get the proper level up stat values.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Nightblade

Hmm? Yeah you do. The only way my game *ever* increases character levels is with events, and they gain their stats just fine.
This sounds like something to take into very careful consideration when I design a save format.

Ugh. >.< It's so hard to make a format that doesn't explode at the slightest problem when it comes to game saves.
author=LockeZ
author=Nightblade
Hmm? Yeah you do. The only way my game *ever* increases character levels is with events, and they gain their stats just fine.

Well you do it by events, that's different. For those of us using the default stat curves that doesn't really help.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Nightblade
author=LockeZ
author=Nightblade
Well you do it by events, that's different. For those of us using the default stat curves that doesn't really help.

Huh? I don't get this. Level ups progress stats the same way regardless of the source of the level up..
LockeZ
Yeah, it's not different. I'm using the normal stat curves within the database, the only thing I'm not using is experience.

If James is level 10 and I give him a level up with an event, he gets the amount of stats that the characters page in the database says he should get when he goes from level 10 to level 11. When Gilbert first joins the team, I give him 20 levels and he gains the stats automatically according to his stat curves.

Seriously the system does not care, you can give people level ups with events, it works fine. You just use the Change Character Level event command. Have you tried it? If you're having problems I'll try to figure out what it is you're not doing right.
Pages: 1