TREASURE CHESTS!

Pages: 1
I'm tired of useless chests in video games. Especially when I realize I missed one by taking the path I need to go to advance further, and a chest is on the path I didn't take. So I go back, open it, and it's something like 50 zenny, or a potion. This is okay at the start of a game. I hate this in the middle or near the end of a game.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
I will take your opinion into consideration
I'm fed up too. Why even have chests... why not just have the items out in the open!?
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=Peaceful_Chaos
I'm tired of useless chests in video games. Especially when I realize I missed one by taking the path I need to go to advance further, and a chest is on the path I didn't take. So I go back, open it, and it's something like 50 zenny, or a potion. This is okay at the start of a game. I hate this in the middle or near the end of a game.

aint a problem with treasure chests it's a problem with bad level design
Ocean
Resident foodmonster

Yeah it happens. It's not really a problem unless the map is absolutely massive, the map is way too confusing, the character is too slow, and if random encounters are frequent. Try to avoid those anyway. And make the treasures worth it. Of course, the better the item, the more the player should need to be rewarded it rather than just thrown at them. Mostly developers just do it to add GAME TIME so they can claim their game is 100+ hours long.

You can do other things to reward the player for taking different paths as well. Small dialogue, an interesting scene (even just graphically), and I didn't intend to actually write a post I just wanted to post that pic
i try to make the text that shows up when you get an item somewhat funny to help alleviate this problem
I take every chest for granted, even if its only 5 gold and I'm near the final boss.

I might scream "FFFFFFFFFFFFFF-" at first, but then I'll just shake it off by saying, "Hey, at least I gained some experience from the battles I fought getting here."
Screw game time - I like to hide things in areas that you have to look for to find. I'll make it worth your while, but it'd be entirely optional. That said, I do hate long twisty mazes with lots of dead ends and little respite from battles/reward for checking things out. I like rewards. I like exploration. The two should balance each other out. I do not want to get a shitty potion after traversing a long boring path filled with battles.
i am very anti random encounter for this reason (not to say that i've never enjoyed a game that had them but i always found dungeons built around the random encounter system to be much less fun)

i will say that having boring mazes is more of a sign of bad design than anything having to do with chests
Well yes, but I'm more likely not to explore a boring maze if the chests aren't worth getting.

In other news, I like to mix things up chest-wise. Barrels, boxes, dropped bags and sparkles to indicate/hold treasure instead seem more realistic than someone going around filling up chests with stuff.
might as well remove the quote from Ocean because my post is no longer relevant to it lol

Maps can be mazy and detailed, but if there is nothing but a big fat "FUCK YOU" waiting at the end of the wrong turns, you end up frustrating the player. The reason they don't put omgamazingitems in the chests is that they are supposed to be a consolation prize for going the wrong way. Unfortunately the mindset of gamers can be that of a completetionist and getting every treasure chest is important to them. Originally, this meant getting into more random encounters, and using up more MP/Healing supplies that you would likely get in return for the chest. Nowadays with the almost complete removal of the 'Random Encounter' scenario, it is much less punishing.

If you intend to put an item of extreme value in a chest, it is best to guard it with a sort of mini-boss or mini-mini boss. Mimics were ideal for this scenario, a sort of punishment for being greedy but at the same time an additional challenge to acquire an item of value other than sludging through the troth of nameless normal encounters. Again with the removal of random encounters, something needs to be guarding that chest. You can't simply have the player maneuver around all the slimes and goblins to reach the Atma Weapon or some bull crap like that.

I have taken a new approach in something I am currently designing for a local developer that takes its cues from D&D. All of the encounters, monsters, and rewards and fairly pre-scripted. If you go X-direction, you will encounter subset Y things. No EXP rewards, just items and storyline. The encouragement for fighting is not losing. There shouldn't be much more encouragement than that. All of the EXP will flow from following the storyline, that way grinding and overpowering are not possible through mowing down monsters. It also helps the developer to anticipate the level of the party and hopefully tune encounters appropriately.
who put this chest in this cave?!
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=Natook

One of the first scenes of my game involves one of the heroes finding a "hidden" chest and acting like everyone else is retarded for wondering why treasure is lying around the woods. Completely disregard that it is character-specific equipment, too `-`

author=Strangeluv
I'm fed up too. Why even have chests... why not just have the items out in the open!?

Plz sprite an image for every single item you intend to have lying around
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
May I point out that the"Revamp II" of "Legend of the Philosopher's Stone" did? Or, rather while XxNemesis29xX didn't I think, create all the sprites he DID place them.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=BurningTyger
May I point out that the newer version of "Legend of the Philosopher's Stone" did exactly that- or rather used preexisting sprites.

It just doesn't bother me at all to see chests, bags, or even a Pokemon "generic item sprite" lying around. If you're going to be so picky about realism, better not have random items lying around dungeons at all..
or you can just have your characters lampshade the hell out of it

that's what i do
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=Natook

A kind adventurer who was concerned for the welfare of future spelunkers, obviously :)
in my game it's the monsters themselves who do it
Pages: 1