ONLINE CONNECTIONS

Pages: 1
Hey. I was wondering if it is possible in any Rpg maker to add a online multi=plsayer scri[pt to a game. So you can play wit or against people online. Reason why I asked is that I have a game I made awhile ago with many 400x400 maps and they are great adventure fields for MMO tyep rpgs. (Dorry bout the spelling I can't let the pwofessor see I am on the computer.)
Hey dere you wrascly Pwofessor!
Don't worry, 60% of my game engine was written during lectures

Actually to be serious, I'm not sure there's any socks in either XP or VX. However! I was thinking of writing an RPGM20XX server which is just my engine minus DirectX and FMOD which would allow you to view-only an RPG Maker 2003 game in progress and all the actual processing occurs on the server.

Don't hold on to anything, it's only a feverish dream and I'm probably not going to do that.

It would be really quirky and laggy if your Internet sucks, but it would be fun and not that hard- it would be much like Kaillera in a strange way. It's been my experience that buggy and quirky is better than none when it comes to this- I've seen people complain until the end of time when a networking feature was removed for being "too unstable".

Other than that, there's like one other internet RPG I've ever seen on this website. However, you possibly may be able to do something with the internet on VX or XP since I heard there was an effort to implement achievements for games.
Because to me, it would be so much easier to make an MMO on Rpg maker if it was possible than Game maker. Which in that case, ist easier to make FPS MMOs.

Looking at RMN more, I see an Rpg engine called SPHERE. Can it do what I am asking or is it as rare as the rpg maker games to do it?
author=Funky_Gun
I have a game I made awhile ago with many 400x400 maps...

WOW! How long did it take you to map one of those? I prefer smaller maps with just enough detail but still enough space for the player to breath.
I intended to make a MMO and it's still not finshed enough to present because of this exact reason. If I can't make a MMO I'll have to scrap it or make a very big long single player game out of it.
author=Funky_Gun
I intended to make a MMO and it's still not finshed enough to present because of this exact reason. If I can't make a MMO I'll have to scrap it or make a very big long single player game out of it.

It would take me three and a half years to create an MMO and I actually know how to make one from scratch. Trust me, pick a smaller network model. RPGM20XX on a network would pretty much be four-sixteen people on computers having an RPG campaign and it would be fortunate if I could even do that safely and cleanly.

Building an MMO is like building a scale model of an aircraft carrier out of LEGOs. I suggest you make a four player network game of people moving around a room using socks first.
Ok, then I guess I'll have to make a big wide-open single player game out of it. But, then it would have to have small amountd of event or it'll lag. Shit, guess I'll scrap it. Should have figure that I couldn't make a MMO with Rpg Maker. But maybe a script will appear someday.
Actually, there is a script that allows you to make MMOs with RPGMaker VX, but I find it useless. Unless you plan on paying, you can only host your game locally (which means, hosting directly from your pc), and nobody would want to play a game that they can only play for a certain amount of time on certain days.

If you don't plan to pay for servers, I doubt your MMO would get many players even if you happen to get it working.
You can still make a wide free-roaming RPG like Oblivion with even just RPG Maker 2000. I've heard Rast actually encountered the 10,000 event limit issue with RPGM2000 on his own. Whether or not that was true, he liked making insanely huge maps full of things to encounter.

I was actually thinking of creating a sparse world system that would take one 500x500 map as a Perlin Noise plus algorithmic seed that would automatically each generate a 100x100 map of tiles from each single tile in the parent map. You could create child maps that use tile 0 for no change from the automap and anything else to add details of NPCs and buildings. It would load adjacent cells in memory and drop old ones so that you could have a map as huge as your hard drive would want to fit.

It would really be the RPG Maker 2003 equivalent of The Elder Scrolls.
I plan on making one large map for my current game as well (with a few smaller maps for caves dungeons.) I actually like making large maps.
author=WolfCoder
You can still make a wide free-roaming RPG like Oblivion with even just RPG Maker 2000. I've heard Rast actually encountered the 10,000 event limit issue with RPGM2000 on his own. Whether or not that was true, he liked making insanely huge maps full of things to encounter.

I was actually thinking of creating a sparse world system that would take one 500x500 map as a Perlin Noise plus algorithmic seed that would automatically each generate a 100x100 map of tiles from each single tile in the parent map. You could create child maps that use tile 0 for no change from the automap and anything else to add details of NPCs and buildings. It would load adjacent cells in memory and drop old ones so that you could have a map as huge as your hard drive would want to fit.

It would really be the RPG Maker 2003 equivalent of The Elder Scrolls.

The large game I am talking about is on Xp though, and I don't see away around the lag. I don't want a 400x400 size maps that don't habe nothing going on. It it possible to downgrade?

I am planning on making a multiplayer, not an MMO or anything. Just a game where someone could call their friend and say, "I am going to play X game, want to join?" Then the other person would get on the game and have some nerdy RPG fun. Is there a script for that?
I saw one that worked. Don't remember where it was. You can probably just google it and try out the ones you find.
I don't think that was a script, just a custom engine game using VX resources. Was it called Dego or something?
No, it was a script. I used it myself before.
Pages: 1