AH, FOR YOU WILFRED THE HERO AND SUNSET OVER IMDAHL FANS.

Pages: 1
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
i got to talk a little with teo, the visual creator of wilfred the hero and sunset over imdahl. this kind of goes out to the fans if you're interested, since he sort of vanished. since this is sort of relevant to game design or something i thought i would drop it here for the few fans that still follow his work. he's a really nice guy.

maybe this will awaken brandon abley from his eternal slumber.

better version can be found here http://meridiandance.org/
The Machine Factory has manufactured yet another fine interview! Hello friends of Meridian Dance, I was able to get a few words with Teo, the creator of Sunset Over Imdahl. Not only is it a full game, but it's filled with original beautiful art! It's one of the few games you can find out in the world wide internet that utilizes hand drawn art. Teo is also known for being the graphical mastermind behind Wilfred the Hero. Grab some of your finest tea, and perhaps sit down on a nice comfy couch, as we take a look into creative mind of Teo Mathlein!

TFT: Can you remember what got you interested in RM? Sunset Over Imdahl is delightfully creative. How did you decide on hand drawing everything?

Teo: I think one reason was just realizing that I *could* make a game without tile-based graphics in Rm2k and I wanted to be the first to do it. The plot for Sunset Over Imdahl was in many ways invented to fit a graphical version I already had. For example; from a graphical perspective I figured it would be more efficient to re-use each scene in four seasonal variations, and that's why I made up a story involving time travel.

TFT: Are you surprised that Sunset Over Imdahl and Wilfred the Hero is still talked about in the RM scene?

Teo: Yeah, kind of! Indie games with hand drawn graphics aren't rare anymore. What still could make Sunset Over Imdahl stand out is that it's finished. Whatever the reason, I think it's awesome it isn't forgotten

TFT: Would you ever consider doing another game?

Teo: I'm making one right now! I'm currently studying computer game development at Stockholm university and am working on a puzzle platformer with two of my mates from class.

TFT: Do you still browse the RM communities? Or was it just a stepping stone for you before moving on to bigger and better projects?

Teo: I still browse indie games, but I rarely come across rm games. I think the majority of rm users are pretty young, I was maybe 16 when I started working on Sunset Over Imdahl. It feels like most older, more serious game developers move on to other platforms... which is a shame, because the simplicity of rm programs gives you the chance to tell a story in a way that you wouldn't have time for with a program where you have to script everything yourself.

TFT: Sunset Over Imdahl or Wilfred the Hero? Which one did you enjoy making more?

Teo: Wilfred the Hero, no contest. It's always more fun to work on team.

TFT: Do you still keep in contact with Brandon Abley?

Teo: Not on a regular basis, but we're still good. I made an album cover for him like a month ago!

TFT: A lot of people still think you guys are working on some secret project that will go commercial. Can you clear these rumors up?

Teo: I wish we were. A couple years ago Brandon approached me with an idea of turning Wilfred the Hero commercial, and start paying me for graphics. I never really managed to get focused so I kind of blew it off. I really regret that now.

TFT: Has Sunset or Wilfred opened any doors for you in the art world?

Teo: You'd think so, but no. People outside the community aren't very impressed with rm games.

TFT: Do you ever talk about your games outside of the communities?

Teo: Very rarely. I kind of like it that way though. It's nice to have built a little world of your own, outside of your social sphere.

TFT: How long have you been drawing?

Teo: Since forever, I guess. I remember that I started to get serious with it sometime in early high school, but I've always been doodling in one way or another.

TFT: What is your favorite art tool to use?

Teo: My Wacom Intuos A4. I pretty recently bought a Wacom Cintiq- which is a pen-tablet with a built in screen, but I haven't decided if it's actually useful or if it only looks cool.

TFT: Can we expect anything from you in the future?

Teo: Like I said, I'm currently working on my game with two guys from my school. Anyone who is interested can check out

http://lament.crobasoft.com/

Enter your email and we'll let you know when the game is out.

TFT: Well, it's been really fun, thank you for taking the time to talk with me!

Teo: My pleasure!

There you have it. Be sure if haven't already to check out Teo's delightful and inspiring games Wilfred the Hero and Sunset Over Imdahl. Be sure to check his site as well, Maridianites!

So I guess RMN is dead or something now?

Woah what is this site... I will bookmark this! Good to see Teo is still around and making games! Sunset Over Imdahl is awesome. I would be very proud if I ever made anything like that.
TFT
author=Nightblade
So I guess RMN is dead or something now?

i don't understand what this means. i just thought people might like to read it.
interested in his new project~ thanks for the link drop. also there is a graphical mixup near this line

": Since forever, I guess. I remember that I started to get serious with it sometime in early high school, but I've always been doodling in one way or another."

can you find it??? can you find the horror
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Yeah it's nice to see an interview from him and that he's still working on something!
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
In short, if you're over 25 and still using RM as your main tool, you probably won't be making games for a living. (something I've made peace with years ago)

The new project of his looks great.
What a legend is Teo. Imdahl is amazing, plus he did a tech demo about falling off a massive skytower world once which was great too. I found those two had quite a haunting quality to them. Real works of art.

I once had the idea of turning Sunset over Imdahl into a play. I emailed Teo and asked him for permission, which he gave. Only ever wrote one scene though, hard to stay motivated... I still think it would be brilliant.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
cool interview with a cool person :D

author=Faenon
What a legend is Teo. Imdahl is amazing, plus he did a tech demo about falling off a massive skytower world once which was great too. I found those two had quite a haunting quality to them. Real works of art.

yeah dude, that was for the 2006 mapping contest I think. this city was built on a huge mess of pipes and things, and they threw their criminals off but some managed to survive on the pillar. really imaginative! if anyone has that please upload!
TFT
author=Faenon

I once had the idea of turning Sunset over Imdahl into a play. I emailed Teo and asked him for permission, which he gave. Only ever wrote one scene though, hard to stay motivated... I still think it would be brilliant.

only relevant poster on rmn, i'm glad. teo inspired a lot of people.
DE
*click to edit*
author=Ciel
yeah dude, that was for the 2006 mapping contest I think. this city was built on a huge mess of pipes and things, and they threw their criminals off but some managed to survive on the pillar. really imaginative! if anyone has that please upload!

Ask, and ye shall receive:

http://rpgmaker.net/users/DE/locker/teopillartown.rar
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
woah thanks a lot man, all my old RM stuff is locked away on my dead laptop >.<
Thanks for sharing, TFT. I have very fond memories of Imdahl, and I'm glad to see Teo still at it. It looks like his work will always be remembered in the RM community. I anticipate his new projects.
What funny timing. The cover art he mentioned is for the same soundtrack I just posted on this forum.

The project he's working on looks really cool! I took a look at it awhile ago.
Pages: 1