[EVENT] COMMUNITY PROJECT: SUPER RMN RPG VX

Pages: first 1234 next last
Hello, my name is ShortStar. You might remember me from such games as >>
- EpiQuest http://rpgmaker.net/games/1986/
- DungeonQuest http://rpgmaker.net/games/2894/
- Super RMN Bros 2 http://rpgmaker.net/events/super_rmn_bros_2/?p=52#posts

I have an idea for a community project that I'd like to spearhead. Its based on the SMBX community project where we all make a town, a dungeon, a quest and submit it.

At the deadline, I will go through everyone's submissions and put them in an order from easiest to hardest. RPG is about leveling up and if we did a hub style world like Super RMN Bros, an uber party wouldn't be challenged.

Information
- Engine > RPG Maker VX
- Tile graphics > Default RPG Maker VX (because its the most basic)
- Sprites & Facesets > You can use custom ones, those are easier to import
- Due date > Monday, March 14th, 2011
- The party > Will be a place holder, pick your own party like Final Fantasy 1, or Dragon Quest 3.
- Weapons, Equipment, Items, Skills & Enemies > Will be copied and pasted.

Requirements
- 1 town (at least)
- 1 battle area (at least)
- 1 quest (at least)
- 1 small land mass (optional, not required)
- All maps must have borders
The Town
- Must have a different building for each indoor shop. Not 1 map for 5 shops.
- Cannot be a giant empty map with a few buildings. Fill the space or make the city smaller.
- Exterior buildings must be 1 block high per floor of the interior. (this is how the boxed in RPG VX maps were)
The Dungeon
- Must be more than a single room.
- Must not be just a random dungeon.
- You can make a random dungeon, but spice it up with decorations! Book shelves, floor tiles, skeletons, treasures, wall damage, pillars
The Characters
- The party is generic, but you can make NPC characters. Princess X has a love affair with squire Y with your help. Sure, go for it.

How to join
1. Tell us you'd like to participate.
2. Tell us what variables and switches you'd like to have (example: Switches 201-220 and Variables 121-150). Switches 1 - 250 and variables 1 - 100 are reserved for the project and its scripts.

Why you should participate
- If we get ten people with 10 quests, 10 towns and 10 dungeons, we can have a lengthily game in a month or two.
- When you submit your maps, people will comment on them and you can improve them. Thus becoming a better mapper in the process. Like coaching.
- Credit. Put a sign on your maps and tell the world who made it. Or get clever and have a talking snowman tell us who made it.
- If people like your maps, quests and so on, they'll seek out your work.

Signups
- Kentona > switches 251 - 300 > variables 101 - 150
- Desmo360 > Switches 301-310 > Variables 151 - 160
- Dudesoft > Switches 311-360 > Variables 161 - 170
- Idida1 > Switches 361-400 > Variables 171 - 200
- Ratty524 > Switches 401-420 > Variable 201 - 220
- Sailerius > Switches 421-470 > Variable 221 - 270
- Dez > Switches 471-500 > Variables 271-300
- Hostile Fun > Switches 501-525 > Variables 301-325
It's a shame RMVX sucks. I have no interest in this :)
Wow. That was trollish. I'll get a mod to cast expell on you.
author=prexus
It's a shame RMVX sucks. I have no interest in this :)
That just seems inflammatory. If you aren't interested, don't post.

Anywho, I have been wanting to make a VX game, but I just can't find the time. So, as an alternative I will join this project in hopes of having my name attached to a real VX project. Sign me up.

I have no idea what switches and variables I'll need, but here is what I recommend:
-Assign everyone a block of 100 switches and 50 variables RIGHT FROM THE GET GO
-Allow people to request more blocks of switches/variables as the project progress.
-reserve a large block of switches and variables for the project management

For example:
-Switch 1-250 > reserved for project
-Variable 1-100 > reserved for project
-kentona (first signup) > assigned Switch 251-350, assigned Variable 101-150
-captrmn (second signup) > assigned Switch 351-450, assigned Variable 151-200
etc...

100 switches might be a lot, but I just used that number for an example.

I am still curious as to how classes, items, equipment and monsters etc... will be handled.

"- Weapons, Equipment, Items, Skills & Enemies > Will be copied and pasted." --> does that mean that someone else is doing this work and we will all be using the same base as a template??
Sorry to the OP.

My point was, I would be more interested if it were with RMXP. I like the concept and would have fun participating but won't because I don't like RMVX.

Apologies, again.
You can make the weapons, equipment, items, skills and enemies you want. I will just transfer them over. If 10 people make different spiders, and give them all stats and call them all spiders, I'll just make them different colors and rename them. If its the same spider, then I'll just consolodate them.
Reconsolidating the weapons will be difficult unless you a lot specific blocks to each entrant for which weapons he can use. Otherwise you would have to go through all the events and monster loot tables and arrange them appropriately. The same goes for the monsters, too, actually.

What I found works in these sorts of things (something I did on rmxp.net a long time ago) was to have 10 different themes, and have each entrant pick one to do.

In the case of what I did, I used time periods to differentiate, and each persons entry felt like its own game (similar to Live-a-Live for SNES) where you would start at level 1, and progress how the game designer felt you should. There was a final boss battle which was handled by me, which allowed you to pick any of the heroes from the games to participate (up to 4), and I had the players post who they used, took a compilation of it, and determined which characters people felt were the most fun, interesting, or overpowered (whichever the reason was they chose them), and the creators of the games that had those four heroes 'Won' and were given free script work by me as a reward.
author=prexus
Sorry to the OP.

My point was, I would be more interested if it were with RMXP. I like the concept and would have fun participating but won't because I don't like RMVX.

Apologies, again.

Or RPGMaker 2003... I don't like VX either.

Does it have to be VX? Is this written in stone? Maybe you should make it 2003 for all the users who don't like VX and don't want to pay to register it... like me.
I think there is already a Rm2k3 community game in the works, and nothing is stopping people from trying to organize an XP event. I think it is good to have a VX event, and VX is one of ShortStar's strengths, so it's not hard to imagine that the project he is organizing is in VX!

author=kentona
I think there is already a Rm2k3 community game in the works, and nothing is stopping people from trying to organize an XP event. I think it is good to have a VX event, and VX is one of ShortStar's strengths, so it's not hard to imagine that the project he is organizing is in VX!

Well, good luck! I'm sure it will turn out great.
Well someone with initiative should make a XP project and a 2K3 project. I didn't go on the Super RMN Bros topic and say dang... if only this was a community project for Flash, I'd help. This project does have VX in the topic title
I'll have a go at this. I have some really good RTP VX maps that I abandoned awhile ago after I did a tileset swap. Maybe now the effort that went into them won't be wasted. Im not sure about which variables and switches i'll need, so i'll just take the next set after Kentona.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
VX allows a maximum of 999 switches and 999 variables. So to many people and kentons idea wont work.

I'm hoping for 10 people.
Don't leave me out of this! I'll take the next 10 switches and variables that are open!
If I wasn't already busy with a VX project I would so jump on this like, well, something. Unfortunately I am, so this cannot be.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Sign me up! I was interested from the get go. Give me whatever switches. I can't start work until I get my new laptop anyway. I am not picky. I'll need 10 variables and 100 switches.
Yeah its just a shame you're not getting 100 switches. Use self switches. Anyway...

Desmo360 > Switches 301-310 > Variables 151 - 160
Dudesoft > Switches 311-360 > Variables 161 - 170
Pages: first 1234 next last