WHAT'S YOUR WHITE WHALE?

Pages: first prev 123 last
If we are talking about video games then I'd have to say Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis for GBA. I've tried to buy it a thousand times and something always goes wrong.
I'd like to try Albert Oddessy, but I don't have the game nor the system, it's one of those games with the charm I really want to try out, plus it was made by working designs which is an extra plus on my "wanna play" meter.
author=Emanzi
you wanna know my white whale...Japan... but sadly its gone -_-

now now now, that's how rumors get started. Before long, everyone will think that the Second Impact really did happen, and in Japan :P
author=Dudesoft
author=Hoddmimir
I collect old books. Unfortunately, I am young and somewhat poor so right now old means 100 years or so. Last year my girlfriend bought me a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo from 1910. This is my favorite book ever written and it meets the 100 year old criteria. Easily the best gift anyone has ever given me.

Problem is back then books were often printed in parts. My girlfriend did not know that she was buying part 1 of a 2 part book. My white whale is clearly then part 2. Unfortunately, I will not be satisfied with a part 2 of The Count of Monte Cristo printed in 1890 or 1921 or any other year. It has to be printed in 1910.

The search has not been going well so far. :(
THANKS!
High-five for good taste!
I don't even know if it evens exists on film but if it did i would give my left leg for it.

"Lenny Bruce and Frank Zappa at the Filmore"

As for videogames...FF3 for NES

author=Hoddmimir
I collect old books. Unfortunately, I am young and somewhat poor so right now old means 100 years or so. Last year my girlfriend bought me a copy of The Count of Monte Cristo from 1910. This is my favorite book ever written and it meets the 100 year old criteria. Easily the best gift anyone has ever given me.

Problem is back then books were often printed in parts. My girlfriend did not know that she was buying part 1 of a 2 part book. My white whale is clearly then part 2. Unfortunately, I will not be satisfied with a part 2 of The Count of Monte Cristo printed in 1890 or 1921 or any other year. It has to be printed in 1910.

The search has not been going well so far. :(

So do I.

I am always on the look out for something at least a century old.
The only really interesting ones i have are the entire written works of edgar allen poe released on a big stack of books from 1904
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I own a copy of every single game that was made by Squaresoft before they merged with Enix. Yes, that includes King's Knight. Yes, that includes Tobal No. 1. Yes, that includes Ergheiz. Yes, that includes both Bushido Blade games. Yes, that includes Chocobo Racing. Yes, yes, etc.

No, I haven't actually played them all. I don't ever intend to play the really bad PSX fighting games. I don't even own an NES, but I still have the NES games on cart.

I'm admittedly missing some Japan-only titles though. The only Japan-only titles I have are FF2, FF3 and FF5. I do have a Japanese copy of Chrono Trigger for some reason. (Which gives me a total of four different copies of Chrono Trigger.)

I wish some of them were in better condition. But I have played the hell out of a lot of them. I also have some Final Fantasy art books, a lot of the soundtracks, a lot of Uematsu's remix CDs... some FF7 keychains and FF9/FF10 action figures...
I guess I'm like several others that've posted that like to accumulate and play video games, though I tend to seek "excellent" or "historical" video games that common consensus seems to suggest I ought to play. The problem is, I've realized I just don't have time for that anymore, and I've gotten comfortable with playing video games not because I haven't beaten them yet, but because I like them.

I don't really feel like there's something that I've wanted for a long time and just want to get it *soon*, not now anyways. I guess I just feel anxious because I'm entering graduate school soon, and because when I leave I will have a hefty six-figure amount of student debt and will want to start 'settling down' at the same time. So, if I had an extra $300 and more free time, I'd love to just invest myself in as many preparatory materials as I could get my hands on.
Mr. Y, The Spy steals your things

I wish I owned the Captain Power ship/light gun and training VHS! As for rare items that I own, I guess a working Nintendo Power Glove would be the rarest. Other than that, many of my Playstation and Playstation 2 games are either not in stores, or fairly expensive.

Jumping Flash (big box), Monster Rancher 4, King's Field, Road Trip, Rpg Maker II, Poy Poy, Star Ocean: The Second Story
Haha, as far as rare video games go, I've been kinda lucky. I have Suikoden I and II (actually, I have all of them, but those are the rare ones), Alundra, Lunar 2 with the box and all that shit, I had Lunar 1, but I lost that shit a long time ago (and found another copy, box and all at the badass media/video game/movie/everything cool shop called the Exchange back home in Pittsburgh, but I passed it up (maybe I'll be there when I visit next?). Grandia is apparently hard to find, and so is Growlanser, and Star Ocean II is, apparently? I suppose I have some games here and there that are apparently hard to find nowadays. It's pretty cool because I still have a lot of fun with them.

I really want to try Ark the Lad someday, though. I always see it around but I never pick it up.

My current line of work (gogo military), and of course, wise money management allows me to live pretty comfortably for a single guy my age; hardly nothing extravagant, but as far as shiny things go, a video game, going out to a cool place, clothes, or whatever, for the first time in my life I'm able to do it without hitting the "broke as fuck status" like how it was all the time for me before. I guess I really don't have very many white whales. Give me food and a good time and I'm good for a while.

I guess my next major purchase car is a nice car, something that's a little more than a piece of shit beater. I'd really like a motorcycle one day, but that's 'one day'. I dunno, I'm a simple guy.

author=Fallen-Griever
If your white whale is a videogame/record/film/possession then you need to get out more...

u kant reed
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
All I want is an unopened copy of Skies of Arcadia Legends. But those go for around 200 dollars. Why didn't I pick it up when it fucking came out years ago :(
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
author=Feldschlacht IV
I'd really like a motorcycle one day, but that's 'one day'. I dunno, I'm a simple guy.

if you ever own a classic(30s-50s) Indian bike i will be eternally impressed by your discerning taste and obvious superiority to all around you.

It sounds silly but man, I would freaking love to have a Zeppelin one day, just to fly around aimlessly in.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
A lot of the stuff I want I can still eBay because I'm not that old yet. Though, finding a PAL edition of DMC3 Special Edition has been an absolute pain in the buttocks. God I hate being in a PAL region.

...I wouldn't mind a full set of the FF8 action figures though...
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
A Furby lol.
They are rare now, but those creepy little things always would scare my cat :3.
Like almost everything does, but the Furby scaring it was unique.
Ohh Yeah, Final Fantasy 6 for SNES.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=SorceressKyrsty
...I wouldn't mind a full set of the FF8 action figures though...

The Play Arts, or the EXTRA SOLDIER?
I'd guess the latter as there is more to collect, although the former has the poseability factor if you wish to open and display.

As for myself, I'd like to own a copy of Resident Evil 1.5, the unreleased beta version of RE2, it looks totally awesome.

Harvest Moon 2 for the GBC. I was owned this game about 8 or so years ago. It was the first Harvest Moon game I ever played. Sadly, it has long since been lost to the cosmos, never to be seen again.
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
I want to see what Karsuman looks like :(
Mega Man Legends 2.
And Mega Man Legends.
The original PlayStation discs.
And to finish Final Fantasy VI ONCE.
Pages: first prev 123 last