PROBLEMS PLAYING CRYSIS...

Pages: 1
I can't get Crysis to work on my laptop. It is a HP Pavillion dv3 2155mx with a weird video card called:
Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family
For some reason many games and even systemrequirementslab doesn't recognize this card. I have installed all of the latest drivers from Intell and HP and even installed and ran the latest BIOS. Everything installed properly and I can't figure out what to do. The game runs and I can play it but the screen refresh rate is very low, and the fps is at around 14. Tons of screen splitting and likes. I have the latest patch for the game and I'm on DirectX 11 if that matters. My OS is Vista Home Premium 64bit. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Buddy, you don't even meet the minimum requirements to play it with that laptop, Intel's integrated graphic solutions aren't made for gaming at all. Plus, a laptop isn't exactly ideal for gaming despite there being laptops made for that, battery life isn't so good that you can do that.

So, I'm sorry, but there's no fix other than buying another computer.

EDIT: Unless you have a laptop that can actually be upgraded, but that's rather unlikely.
Hmm... Well the reason I ask is because based on the cards:
RAM
Pixel and Vertex Shaders
it should be able to run this game fine.
No, it isn't because the video chipset supports those features that it will run, nor because of the amount of memory it has, certain cards are made to play those intensive PC games, others are simply meant for browsing/watching videos/whatever. Now, it doesn't mean it can't play some games, but it's simply not fast enough to handle recent ones at a relatively decent framerate, Crysis in particular bends most graphic cards to their knees.
So what kind of chip would I need in order to play this game?
You have the box of Crysis or the site you bought it from I suppose, they give you details like minimum system requirements and recommended system requirement, the recommended ones is usually a good guideline to getting a game to work well, it isn't always the case as certain games are very badly optimized but in general, it'll do the trick.

I'm not sure you should buy a brand new computer only for Crysis, but I guess if you want to play other PC games then getting a good computer built to play games isn't a bad idea.

Note however that Crysis came out in 2007, hardware changed a lot since then and the requirements for it will only have 2007 hardware, so you may want to do research at several websites to see what's available, research is important if you want to get a powerful computer without paying too much for it, unless you happen to have a tech friend who knows a lot about it, and not one who pretends he does but really doesn't (there are a lot of those).
I understand. I went to the Crysis website and my computer SUPPOSEDLY meets the recommended system requirement. It just says that it "Doesn't recognize my video card".
No, I can assure you it doesn't meet the recommended specs, Intel's integrated graphics are, even to this day, much slower than a GeForce 8800GTS, which is what is recommended on most websites for Crysis.
Like I said, features do not matter that much unless the card was really that old, if you want gaming graphic cards, you look to NVidia or AMD/ATI, but even with those, not all of their cards are made with gaming in mind, the numbering scheme is important, it's what identify whether a card is low end or high end.

For NVidia's GTX, the first number is the family/generation, it represents what features the card has, second number whether the card is high end or not, the higher that second number is, the fast the card is, third number is revision or dual gpu (SLI).

For AMD's Radeons, first is family/generation, second is also low/mid/high end, third is whether it is the low/mid/high end of the second number (I'll try to explain that a bit), fourth is, well, it's always been a 0 since a long time now.

Anyhow, for Radeon, *3**, *4**, *5** and *6** are low end cards, *7** is middle, *8** is an odd case as it was high end for the 3000, 4000 and 5000 series but it middle for 6000 series, *9** is high end. The **30/50/70/90 represent how fast it is compared to the same generation.
As such, a Radeon 6970 will be faster than a Radeon 6950, but a Radeon 6950 will be better than a 68*0 card.
However, and this is important; a 5850 card will be faster than a 6370 card, why? because the 6370 card is a low end model, entry model, while the 5850 is high end model, remember, the first number represents the family, not the speed, you should always take a look at reviews and benchmarks of specific card models to see how fast they are compared to others. With the exception of the Radeon 4890, every Radeon cards that ends with 90 is a dual gpu, which are usually faster provided the game supports crossfire, else, it will be slower than the single, high end cards.

For NVidia, it's almost the same, except there is no fourth number and the third one represents whether it's a dual card or revision rather than performance. A GTX480 is high end, a GTX460 is middle, a GTS450 is also middle, a GTX295 is a high end dual gpu, a GTX465 however is a single, middle end gpu.
If only video card model names were that simple

You won't be able to run Crysis at any appreciable speed. The Intel integrated GPU simply does not have the horsepower to play the game. This is different from memory (which is also affected if your GPU even has the power to make use of all that memory) and pixel shaders (tech requirements, if you don't have the pixel shader you can't run the game). There is no upgrade path for you as you can't upgrade the GPU of a laptop.

vvvvv
Huh, neat! I'm betting it's an excellent way to bleed money.
author=GreatRedSpirit
There is no upgrade path for you as you can't upgrade the GPU of a laptop.
Some laptops are upgrade able, but only with the manufacturer and you're given the choice of two or three specific models, and they're obviously nothing like the desktop gpus.

It's true however that his laptop cannot be upgraded at all.
I see. Well thank you for your help. I was planning to buy one of the Battalion 101 series from iBuyPower. I trust this would be able to run crysis :)
Again, thanks for the advise and I now I know what to look for.
Pages: 1