GIVING FEEDBACK: PASS OR FAIL

http://rpgmaker.net/games/1579/

I doubt you'd get a full second round out of this, but I like getting feedback on just about anything, so fire away!
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Yeah, okay, so I updated SP3D's download with a few things. If you're going to give it another ten minutes, would you please redownload it first?

from Yoshio
i loved porygon 3D

but had to give up cause i couldn't beat the fire boss ;-;
Protip: many of his moves start from the center of the room! Avoid the middle!
Regarding the sound issue, I've noticed it seems to only be VX games that have this issue. Is it possible you have BGM and ME turned off in the Game Properties (F1) menu?
Poke, creation uploaded the review of your game on his youtube channel if you are interested. I'm not sure why he hasn't posted it here already O_o
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
Parallel by Pokemaniac
Hey Cration, thanks for the feedback! That game definately had too much dialogue. :/
Creation
Yeah, I don't like failing people but it's honestly how I felt :(.

*Here's some suggestions:
Why not use Dreamaker to export your dialogues in Word and so some editing? I'm sure you could cut a good 50% of what is said or make it more interactive. You could ponder whether or not you could say things more concisely. Basically, you could try to get the ideas across by using a lot less sentences.

*I found that the main character and the troll were archetypal, i.e. the kind of silly troll and the spunky hero with a joke or two. Why not try to flesh out the characters more so that they're more believable? Honestly, I haven't played a game yet with an endearing character so I think it's something very challenging to do (I'm including myself in the lot). I often find my dialogues bland and have to start over.

*The thing is that it's hard to have round characters (as opposed to prop characters or flat characters) who are different then who we are and make them realistic enough. I think this is why we rely on archetypes because it's an easy solution to a much more complex problem. You know, the crazy scientist, the retarded fighter guy, the immoral thief, the hero who is not quite a magic user and not quite a fighter... the works. I find that basing characters on people we know helps.

*That bee was needlessly powerful in my opinion for a first combat, too much HP. You know when the game is starting, you want to make the game as interesting as possible. Showing the combat engine is a good idea I think but I think the fight could last a couple of rounds at most.

I liked the puzzle game the most (which I didn't mention in the video). It was innovative and interesting, why not propose more innovation as opposed to sticking to the same old CRPG dogma?

The problem with having a game which is similar to other games (the graphics, the gameplay, the story) is that there's really no incentive to play it. There are hundreds of games out there, why settle for something which has been done countless times before? If you want to stick with something shared with other games, I think you'll need to really perform in another aspect of the game.

Do you think the Mario RPG would've been remotely successful if they had the typical combat? The fact that you can interact in battles made the games stand out. Final Fantasy applies the same principle of innovation (for better or worse at times I'll admit).

I truly believe in the importance of having games which show individuality, games you can play and have a certain unique feel about them. I've played hundreds of RPG so that might be why I have trouble with a lack of innovation but still.

I'm not saying games need to be less like RPG, not at all. I think games need to exploit the RPG genre in ways which are more personal and willing to take some risks.

Those are just suggestions, feel free to disregard them.

I'm ready for another P&F.
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep it in mind!
I'm a little nervous to post, but I've watched all your P&F's and I've found them enjoyable and useful! My game doesn't have much feedback, so your mini-review is probably exactly what I need. Maybe its the first ten minutes that aren't keeping people interested.

http://rpgmaker.net/games/2375/

Thanks, Creation :D
Creation
Leo and Leah by Strangeluv
Heyy thanks a lot dude! You missed a sign that taught you how to DASH into enemies. This is a very useful technique that allows you to get a first strike in battles and allows you to collect more shells. I understand you would breeze through everything with the time constraints, though, especially since you were probably rushing after the intro montage!

I appreciate you trying the game and glad that you enjoyed your little snippet of play!
^Nice "review" there. Ever considered posting these videos into reviews and sumbitting them for each game?

Maybe with a little additional text.
Creation
Oh I know about rushing, I actually read it. What I meant is that holding shift didn't work. When I pressed shift I would dash for a couple of seconds then I had to press it again.

This game should be featured I think.
No no, I saw that you discovered the "run" but I meant there is a sign telling you that you can press '3' to make a fast dash at enemies and knock into them, giving you a first-strike encounter. Just saying! I know it's all about first impressions! As for the holding Shift... I'm not sure what caused that. I wonder if anyone else got that problem?

author=Creation
This game should be featured I think.

That's very flattering!

author=NewBlack
^Nice "review" there. Ever considered posting these videos into reviews and sumbitting them for each game?
Maybe with a little additional text.

I think it's an overall cool idea what he's doing here. Reviewing games take a lot of time, esp. if you are doing it by video (and lots of space...). The first 15 minutes of a game is very crucial and it should be able to AT LEAST establish the mood of the game so the player can be enticed and keep playing. Because, let's be honest, RM games are dime-a-dozen. You didn't pay for it so why should you play it past 15 minutes if those few key scenes did not impress you?

Hopefully people who have works in progress can watch these videos and see where they are going right/wrong.
Creation
Devil Star by Ashriot
I liked the review but I could hardly hear what you were saying over the game's music and sfx. Make sure to turn it down a bit.

Also I agree, I nominate Leo and Leah for featured.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
i've watched all of these pass or fails so far. it's like, one of the few entertaining things on rmn at the moment.
author=TFT
i've watched all of these pass or fails so far. it's like, one of the few entertaining things on rmn at the moment.

Haha, same. I'm a sucker for watching people play through games.
Creation
Yeah, the sound for Devil Star sucks. Sorry about that. I'll need to turn it way down next time.