SOLAR PANEL ROADS

Pages: 1
This is quite possibly one of the best outlandish ideas that has come around in a long time. Just as the title describes, it's implementing solar panels as a replacement for asphalt roads.

BENEFITS:
•Provides enough Electricity to power the nation three times over if used to replace all asphalt roads. (approx 10 billion 12' x 12' panels at $6,900 each but if heavily invested in, roads would pay for itself)
•Ability to generate heat to melt ice and snow off the roads.
•Uses LED lights and pressure systems to alert drivers of obstructions further down the road such as deer, people in dark clothing, etc. Also used to make easily visible lines.
• Envisioned to use trash from land fills as a means of making the solar panels air-tight and well structured.

OBVIOUS PROBLEMS:
•Designing a glass cover that has the traction of asphalt, durability to hold a fully loaded 18 wheeler, able to let sunlight in without causing a glare on the drivers.
•Major cost
•Daunting task of removing the asphalt and replace them with solar panels.

This is in no way going to be implemented soon, but I think this idea is absolutely brilliant and well on it's way to having the nation behind this idea. Thoughts, comments?

Links:
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13746_7-20030231-48.html
http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/powering-america/Content?oid=1482871
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
not to mention the cost of repairing these solar panels, putting electrical lines under or near the roads, cleaning the solar panels of dust, ownership of the panels and electricity, etc etc.

The real problem here is that's fixing a problem we don't have. Electricity is cheap and easy to make already. Even if you did want to get a lot of power out of the sun, there's huge vacant areas of land the government owns but can't sell or use that could be used without mounting the huge cost of solar panel roads.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Awesome but impractical. Hexatona pretty much nailed the problems that this proposal has; there are hundreds of cheaper, more efficient ways to generate electricity without having to effectively rebuild from the ground up our entire ground transportation infrastructure.
alternately put the solar panels somewhere where people do not drive over them and also remove "standard road removal" from the equation entirely.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Hexatona, you're Canadian. Don't tell me you wouldn't love LED road lines and roads that melt ice by themselves.
All good points, but one of the best parts of this implementation is the heat generating ability. Cost of snow and ice removal is pretty high (no where near the cost of putting these into place but still, higher than one would think.) Impractical to cover the nation with them, but I could see this being used in a few cities, even if the idea doesn't become popular.

However, I also thought of another problem, roads aren't always straight grids. Square =/= curves/hills/circles.

EDIT: Craze beat me to it.
Stop and go traffic would severely diminish the light from hitting the panels.

I'm waiting for scientists to unlock the full spectrum of potential (of energy waves) from solar panels. They aren't very efficient yet. In 2050 their efficiency may rise to 80%. Suggesting they work at or under 20% efficiency today...
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
so uh do you have enough money to end world hunger because I sure don't
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=Craze
Hexatona, you're Canadian. Don't tell me you wouldn't love LED road lines and roads that melt ice by themselves.

If some of our cities had this, and it worked, I would cry manly tears of joy.
This would make me very happy.

Although, here in Toronto, the city is constantly repairing the roads or replacing water pipes.
Commuting is utter bullshit and having to replace every road would mean an all-time high for construction companies causing congestion. Also, it seems as though some fellows drag anchors on the ground to give their companies more work. (I'M PARANOID)

This would make me very sad.
hehe what a crazy idea, wouldnt that be great if that actually happened. Might cost a fair bit though dont you think. And what about the heat and electricity that you would have to drive over, might be a bit dangerous too. 1000s of volts passing underneath everyone! http://www.solarpanelscamping.com.au has this publication on the dangers of solar power, and also the costs of raw materials, what do you guys think?
Those solar panels are beyond overpriced. And it's cool, tires are rubber and all! (somewhat sarcastic)
I actually do a lot of research into alternative energies, as well as biomimicry (Which is designing technologies or processes that draw inspiration from biology). The interesting thing about doing this kind of research is that the major problems that arise with all of the new ideas for innovation are not the ones you might expect. Steep cost is certainly a consideration, but new plans that do manage to get implemented are often derailed by unexpected issues resulting in millions of lost dollars. For example, one building tried using solar panels to produce electricity to help run the building. The light reflected from the solar panels ended up focusing on very inconvenient places. Most notably the apartment building next door and the park across the street. The temperature inside the apartment building climbed drastically and resulted in significantly higher cooling costs and the park across the street ended up with several patches of dead plants. The company that installed the solar panels had to take them down and was out the money. The interactions these technologies have is one of the things that is most often overlooked and yet has one of the biggest impacts. Another fun story is of a building that modelled it's shape after a termite mound to get a passive heating and cooling system working inside the building. They built it facing the wrong direction though since the design would have only worked with the wide section facing north/south. Oops.
Pages: 1