NEED MAPPING AND TILESETS HELP

Pages: 1
Being the complete newb I am who can only map with the RTP and thus losing lots of potential atmosphere and uniqueness, I've decided that I really, really need help with the mapping. I can't really find the old Naramura enhanced RTP tilesets anymore, and there are no other enhanced RTP tilesets I can get, and I cannot really map with any new tilesets since I suck at arranging them in the database.

So basically, I need help. Quite a lot of it.

Here's the link to the game: http://rpgmaker.net/games/2896/
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There's an easy way to add new tilesets to your database with no work. And that's to copy and paste them from the database of another game!

Please don't steal original resources that someone made themselves for their own RPG Maker game. But if it's a free or ripped tileset, I can't imagine anyone would fault you for this, since it's not like aligning all those X's and O's and priorities and directions actually requires any creative input, it's just time consuming and there's really only one correct way.

So that's my suggestion. If you're unsure of whether a tilset is original or not, then don't use it unless you mail the author to ask permission. If you recognize what PSX game it's from, though, then clearly it's up for grabs.
I can't really open the project file of another game, and I don't think I'm very good at mapping, either.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
You can if they distribute it raw, instead of using the encrypter. It's probably true that most games encrypt their data though. Try looking for ones that are .zip instead of .exe, they're probably less likely to be encrypted.

Adding tilesets to the database yourself is only really a pain if they're huge, though. For smaller tilsets, like ones that aren't more than twice the size of the RTP tilesets, it doesn't take that long.

If you have specific questions I can answer them, but if your question is just a general "I haven't done this before so I'm no good" then my answer is "Do it a few times until you get better."
I no longer have my RMXP RTP Mapping Tutorials, but I will make a few quick demonstration maps for you. I will do an Outdoor, Cave, and Indoor.
Outdoor Map InGame

Breakdown

Layer 1

Use Layer 1 to put as much stuff that doesn't require transparencies down as possible. Think 'Natural' when designing outdoor areas: jagged uneven cliffs, flowing water, non-maintained landscapes. The path here is sparse but defined, clearly this is a path that is used but not often enough to be paved or heavily tread.

Layer 2

Start placing transparency items. When placing, place the stuff that is closest to the ground first. Cliff edges, bridges, grass trim. It makes it easier to decide where to place tall and high up stuff on the third layer. Put as much on this layer as possible, and then work your way up.

Layer 3

Fill out anything you weren't able to complete on the second layer, and then start overlapping things that you expect to overlap like trees, logs, etc.

Event Layer

Use of the event layer in creative ways (such as low opacity rocks to appear under water) is a great way of adding a unique touch to the RTP tiles without editing the tilesets.

The only edit I used here was I replaced the third auto-tile with another default RTP autotile, and that was simply to avoid using the second layer for a path.
Pages: 1