I NEED TO LEARN TO SPRITE OR GET SPRITES MADE.

Pages: first 12 next last
Sooo..

Does anybody have any advice as to how to go about spriting from scratch?

I'm pretty sure I could probably handle the art aspect of it (I'm not bad at art IRL). But in terms of making animations consistent (things not changing in an ugly way between animation frames) I think I'd fail miserably.

Any advice or tutorials for a beginner would be awesome.
Welllllll, the answer is not that quite simple and maybe for you dishearting,but as you said that your art aspect is not that bad, it shouldnt be hard. To tell you the truth, you must first become good,well really good at "general art", because spriting is just another "style" of painting, first you need to learn basics and then you can jump at spriting, because without general knowledge and "know how", it would be really hard. Pixel art is really time consuming and hard, believe me when you will try to create something beyond 120x120 canvas or under 60x60, you will be tearing your hair out. So first get some sketchbook, scanner, photoshop or gimp and draw draw, when you think you are good, jump at spriting. I have made a pure pixel art tutorial in writing section, its not that good, but it should show you the process of spriting.To tell you the truth there isnt any tutorial to make you good, you just have to experiment and nothing else, remember 600x zoom,pencil tool only and experiment!!!!
I found that working with NES style sprites for a while made it super easy to move onto SNES style sprites.
http://pixel.oceansdream.net/ .
This.

Also, the imageshack frog is scaring the hell out of me. @_@
Why?
WHY?????
Can't people simply upload to imgur or tinypic? :I
Or do ALL imageshack images fail just for me. I mean, half of the users here have the imageshack failfrog as the avatar.
Enough with my random rant, Ocean's tutorials are awesome! Too bad most of them are about chipsets and stuff, but there is also TSR*, you can study (and trace / recolor / whatever) sprites from there, too. :D
http://www.spriters-resource.com/

They've also got a nice forum. Post there as well, after you've done a few sprites to get critique. :)
author=Bonehead11
Welllllll, the answer is not that quite simple and maybe for you dishearting,but as you said that your art aspect is not that bad, it shouldnt be hard. To tell you the truth, you must first become good,well really good at "general art", because spriting is just another "style" of painting, first you need to learn basics and then you can jump at spriting, because without general knowledge and "know how", it would be really hard. Pixel art is really time consuming and hard, believe me when you will try to create something beyond 120x120 canvas or under 60x60, you will be tearing your hair out. So first get some sketchbook, scanner, photoshop or gimp and draw draw, when you think you are good, jump at spriting. I have made a pure pixel art tutorial in writing section, its not that good, but it should show you the process of spriting.To tell you the truth there isnt any tutorial to make you good, you just have to experiment and nothing else, remember 600x zoom,pencil tool only and experiment!!!!

I'm pretty good at art man. I'm rusty because I never practice, but I'm pretty good (or else I wouldn't even be trying to learn). I'll go check out your tutorial now. I've spent two days spriting from scratch and I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. Moving from a 48x48 (2k3 battlers) size to a battle animation size (96x96) today so hopefully I'll have more room for some decent shading.
That was a great website Joseph! Thanks for posting it :-)
author=ShortStar
That was a great website Joseph! Thanks for posting it :-)

Yeah I've been checking out ocean's tutorials and spriter's resource for about an hour now. Great stuff :)
http://rpgmaker.net/users/Darken/locker/sprite_tutorial_references.rar

These images (very specific to RPG Maker) helped me get a better understanding of pixeling, but really all of it comes from practice practice practice.
Nice References Darken, just by looking at a few of them and I can see how to sprite the rest is now practice.
I've also always wanted to sit down and make a sprite from total chicken scratch since its a really helpfull skill, most of the time I find character generators and frankenstien spriting only gets you soo far but never really cuts it when it comes to how you imagined or wanted a character to look.
Got any more of these?

You can just use any animation technique you find easy to work with ( for example I saw a game off google images, it was rpg maker but animated entirely with flash. I looked cool because it had its own style and looked simple to make )

The most popular and maybe easyer one out of all might be pixeling but either way animation needs alot of patience and practice to get consistent, can be a bit frustrating at times but the reward of making your own sprites, maps e.t.c feels soo good. kinda like your making your true game ideas ( world, characters, style ) come to life...
I am just posting link to one of the best pixel artists ever, for inspiration and process.
http://www.foolstown.com/
WHAT?! SYOSA HAS A DEVIANT ART ACCOUNT TOO?! OH MY ~ <3
Thanks!
I hate you all for posting those stuff.

NewBlack don't open any of those.

Best way to learn how to sprite is:

1 - Open MS Paint.
2 - Zoom 8x.
3 - Edit.

After you're skilled with editing:

1 - Open MS Paint
2 - Zoom 8x.
3 - Draw.
author=calunio

1 - Open Graphics Gale.
2 - Zoom 8x.
3 - Edit.
There's nothing wrong with getting idea of how pixeling is done to get pixeling done.
author=calunio

1 - Open MS Paint.
2 - Zoom 8x.
3 - Edit.

After you're skilled with editing:

1 - Open MS Paint
2 - Zoom 8x.
3 - Draw.

Sadly, this is also my way of doing it.
It hasn't made me very skilled at editing, but it has made me skilled at MS paint

author=Darken
There's nothing wrong with getting idea of how pixeling is done to get pixeling done.

This.

author=JosephSeraph
author=calunio

1 - Open Graphics Gale.
2 - Zoom as much as you want
3 - Edit.

Corrected ;'D
So I was trying to make 2k3 battlers (I've since decided to start again using Battle Animations as battlers because there's just not enough room for a semi-realistically proportioned character to be sdrawn in 48x48 without very visible pixel edges)

But here is my first ever from-sractch sprite:

(scaled x2 - like RM does)

Thanks for all the links to tutorials and advice people :D

feel free to critique and comment so I can make my next one better.
I like it! There's room enough to put a face in, he really looks faceless, but besides this, it's very nice!
My first sprite was an alex dressed with a pitch black dreess and with saturaded yellow channel hair. e_e
No outlines, shades, anything. And it was supposed to be aya brea. #random

I really like it!
author=NewBlack
there's just not enough room for a semi-realistically proportioned character to be sdrawn in 48x48 without very visible pixel edges).
Well its a few pixels taller but really...
*edit* by the way its not done by me,obviously, it was done by Pawige.

Regarding your sprite...not bad for first time sprite,those hands are very well done,head could be alot smaller, you need to rework legs totally and anatomical proportions. Great start.

Pages: first 12 next last