DOES IT SHOCK YOU THAT THERE ARE RM GAMES OUT THERE THAT MATCH COMMERCIAL ONES?

Pages: first 12 next last
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
it shocks me. it shocks me that one person can create an entertaining experience while a team of paid people with tons of resources at their disposal can't. i'm not even saying in all cases surpass, but match. sometimes i just step back and shake my head. it's pretty crazy. it really says how awful the game industry has turned into.

goes to show how worthwhile fullsail is. my hats off to the hard working creators.

arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
im so confused by that video
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
honestly it just depresses me. like amazing games that could be sold for ten bucks easily like last scenario and exit fate are made by one dude while uh "Amaranth Games" is literally a thing that exists in the real world. teams of paid developers cannot figure out how to make a sonic game enjoyable while five people are behind the entire penumbra series and make so much less.
TFT
its my favorite video.
The lack of quality in some (most?) commercial titles is a failure at project management in particular, which is an issue that indie titles can completely avoid if they're made by one person. When you deal with a team, especially one that has stakeholders, you start getting all sorts of management issues as you have to please everyone, and unfortunately not all the stakeholders specifically want a "good" game, they just want one that will make money.

There are other issues as well where the lead game designer is completely retarded and won't take any feedback from their dev team, etc (this is how George Lucas conducted his direction of the recent star wars movies).

Also the reason why Japan in particular fails, in most cases, to innovate in their game design is their culture of "salary men" (people hold their jobs for life, regardless of performance). So you get the case where people just do what they're told and no one tries to push the envelope - this is the number 1 reason that most jrpgs are the same game with different characters.
I'm not impressed with that video. Looks like a bad Flash animation.

You should see the stuff they make in Korea and Brazil with RPG Maker. Korea has tons of RPG Maker games that get sold on CDs at stores.

I can't get over the hate for Aramanth Games. She made a product and spent money on music and graphics and made a product. We should all be doing that.
TFT
her game is stupid?
Yes it shocks me, especially the games over at MERIDIAN DANCE! Wow, talk about cool games!
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
Yeah, when you really think about it, it's kind of mind blowing that Naufragar or something is a far more entertaining and enjoyable experience than Final Fantasy 13 or Star Ocean 4 or take your pick. Hundreds of people working with a massive budget for over half a decade were not able to produce something that delivers as much joy as like, Romancing Walker. What the frick!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I find it far more shocking that there are so many bad ones. I equate indie games with fun and quality at the expense of graphics. They are made by people who have enough of a passion for game design to spend years of their life perfecting a game, despite not having the resources to make it look good. Sometimes professional designers have this passion, but it's not expected of them. People who do something out of love will always put more effort into it than people who do it out of necessity.

I think the large number of bad RPG Maker games are simply due to people's inexperience, and our tolerance for showcasing that inexperience. Many RPG Maker sites promote any game regardless of quality and so you get to see a lot of people's first or second attempts at game making. Given enough time to learn what they're doing, many of the most incompetent novice developers will also make games that rival commercial ones in every area except graphics, unless they quit before then (which most of them admittedly will).
author=TFT
it shocks me. it shocks me that one person can create an entertaining experience while a team of paid people with tons of resources at their disposal can't. i'm not even saying in all cases surpass, but match. sometimes i just step back and shake my head. it's pretty crazy. it really says how awful the game industry has turned into.

goes to show how worthwhile fullsail is. my hats off to the hard working creators.

Is it too late for Ironhide facepalm?
doesn't shock me THAT much. Teams of 2-3 people were making brilliant games back in the 80s. Now two and half decades later or so, people have many more resources available at their disposal.

Though it is pretty ridiculous how a game can have millions invested into it and still come out with fundamentally boring gameplay.
SNES had no goddamn lighting effects
author=narcodis
doesn't shock me THAT much. Teams of 2-3 people were making brilliant games back in the 80s. Now two and half decades later or so, people have many more resources available at their disposal.

this

author=narcodis
Though it is pretty ridiculous how a game can have millions invested into it and still come out with fundamentally boring gameplay.

yeah, it's the same with movies.
sometimes a technical spectacle or celebrity appearences can be a big draw, regardless of how bad the the movie/game is otherwise...

author=Deacon Batista
SNES had no goddamn lighting effects

mode 7 is the only special effect you need
It really doesn't surprise me either, but for me it has more to do with the inclusion of oldschool gameplay. I make and play rm games because they have that sense of nostalgia that I just can't get from a new commercial game. RPGs especially are getting further and further away from where they came from to appeal to the greater masses.
author=sbester
It really doesn't surprise me either, but for me it has more to do with the inclusion of oldschool gameplay. I make and play rm games because they have that sense of nostalgia that I just can't get from a new commercial game. RPGs especially are getting further and further away from where they came from to appeal to the greater masses.
"All RPGs are too similar"
"RPGs are changing too much"
It's impossible to make everybody happy.
I suppose indie made games will always be better, because we get feedback and its free. Everything is a labor of love even if it takes years. It just surprises me more why people don't charge money for these free games. Like Hero's Realm. If that was $10, Kentona would have $50,000. He could've paid an artist and a midi maker $10,000 or cut them in on 20% each.

Sure downloads don't mean buys, but chances are a hellove a lot of people would've bought it if they get hooked on a 2 hour demo.
Yeah, he had 20,000 dollars to spend making his ultimate homage RPG to the classic RPGs.
Pages: first 12 next last