NEW MACBOOK PROS

Pages: 1
So, I'm planning to buy a new 15" macbook pro but I'm not sure which of the two models to pick.

MacBook Pro 15" 2.0ghz quad-core intel i7 with a AMD Radeon 6490m 256mb gddr5. (1,799)

or,

MacBook Pro 15" 2.2ghz quad-core intel i7 with a AMD Radeon 6750m 1gb gddr5. (2,199)

I'd really rather not spend the extra 400 dollars but I want to be able to play new games coming out like Crysis 2. Is the better chip worth the money? Also, does anyone know firsthand how well the new macbooks handle games? Aside from the processor and graphics cards the models are the same. I will be using bootcamp ofc.

Thanks in advance.

Why a macbook? I have a very good emachines E525 that can out perform most macbooks, plus it cheaper, only $300. Why spend so much, when you can get power cheap?
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
save yourself all the trouble and look into an IBM thinkpad. no, they're not glamorous and they don't come with a shiny apple logo on them, but the they are quite powerful notebooks for not a lot of cost. admittedly, you'd have to get a pretty spiffy one if you wanted to play crysis/crisys 2, but those are really games made to be played on desktop machines. i have friends who try to play the latest and greatest games on macbooks, and they suffer through hardware shortcomings and bootcamp crashing almost daily.
buy a PC. it can do everything a mac can with more power for less cost, at the price of having 'designer status.'

if playing games is what you're interested in doing with this machine, i do not see why you'd even consider buying a mac.
I understand what you're saying. Playing games isn't my main focus on this because I'm really just using it for film school. I just wanted to know if it hypothetically "could" run it.
Uuuuh, Glue, sorry to break your bubble, but you won't be able to play Crysis and Crysis 2 on Mac OSX. Any game making use of DirectX will never run on the Mac unless they made a version of the game that could run on it through OpenGL, very very very few game developers do this, and Crytek certainly isn't part of those that do it.

And even if a game is in OpenGL there is no guarantee it will run on Mac OSX, as that is simply the renderer.

Crysis games will only run on machines with Windows XP/Vista/7 installed.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
you won't be able to play Crysis and Crysis 2 on Mac OSX.

Boot Camp?
author=KingArthur
you won't be able to play Crysis and Crysis 2 on Mac OSX.
Boot Camp?
Hmm, I hadn't actually thought about that. It could work then.

Anyhow, yeah, both could hypothetically run the games, buuuut the first one would struggle quite a bit, Radeon 6490 is low end, the one that cost 400 more would stand more of a chance at it. Both are integrated chips though, which are not ideal for running PC games as they are generally weaker than their desktop counterpart.
niether are integrated chips. they are both dedicated.
Seems like so, just checked them out, but they're still the mobility line.

Either way, the one with the Radeon 6750m would have a better chance. Not to mention that 256mb of memory on a GPU is too low for recent games, so no matter how capable the chip would be you'd be limited by that.

Depends how much you're attached to the ability to play games at decent framerates/higher settings.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
You buy Apple for the brand. It's pointless to convince somebody to go for better PC hardware because typical apple products are always like a generation behind (ignoring workstation computers)
I personally buy apple for final cut pro and adobe cs5. More for video editing than gaming. Still, I hoped to be able to run games at decent settings.
author=Glue
I personally buy apple for final cut pro

cant you install a mac os onto a pc or is that not allowed by apple ;(

seems a bit silly to spend exorbitant amounts of $$$ on dated hardware just for 1 program (you can use ps cs5 on windows)
You can probably get cracks. The largest problem with doing this is there is no simple way of switching back and forth between windows and osx on a pc. On a mac you can use bootcamp but I dont think think there is a duplicate software on windows.

EDIT: By "ps" I assume you mean photoshop? Creative suite is not just photoshop. its aftereffects and other video editing software as well. (These aren't available for pc).
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
if you're absolutely tied to final cut, then i guess apple is the answer for you, but i also do video production work and i do all of mine on a PC using adobe premier and after effects. there are occasionally days when i find myself wanting the simplicity of apple color if i'm colour correcting some really mediocre footage, but in general, i can do everything my buddies who use macs do within the same time frame and with a comparable result.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
EDIT: By "ps" I assume you mean photoshop? Creative suite is not just photoshop. its aftereffects and other video editing software as well. (These aren't available for pc).
Um, yes they are. The entire Creative Suite is available on PC.
author=Sailerius

Ah yes they are. For me personally though, I can't use Premiere and aftereffects since i'm on 32 bit. I'd have to upgrade my version of windows.

EDIT: The other reason is I already have a mac version of cs5
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=Glue
author=Sailerius
Ah yes they are. For me personally though, I can't use Premiere and aftereffects since i'm on 32 bit. I'd have to upgrade my version of windows.

EDIT: The other reason is I already have a mac version of cs5

You would not want to use After Effects on 32 bit anyway. It's such a resource hog, especially on rendering. Better off using Nuke or the outdated Shake for video compositing software.
I have quite an old MacBook (dual core 2.8ghz, 9600m 512mb) and it actually runs games pretty well in my opinion. It manages Dragon Age Origins on high (slight slowdown in crowded scenes), Borderlands on mostly all high, Valve games high, Starcraft 2 high, Crysis medium etc. I see no reason why you wouldn't be happy with it.

if you're gaming I'd definitely go for the more expensive option though, the extra VRAM makes a huge difference.

Pages: 1