THE PROJECTS WE REGRET

Pages: first 12 next last
Not sure if this is a good idea for a topic or not...

My idea is that we discuss or post links to things that we regret making, (such as naff games).

So, this is the ineptly named game, fun: http://rpgmaker.net/users/Rhuan/locker/fun.zip If anyone manages to enjoy it I will laugh a great deal, it was the product of "what can I make from scratch in 30 mins of boredom", for those not familiar with sphere, double click engine.exe (I assumed people around here will be windows users so just packaged it with sphere for windows). (controls are arrow keys and enter/return)
This seems more appropriate for Game Discussion.

I don't think I regret ever making a game (maybe a little embarrassed), but I *DO* regret not following through on the inaugural community project here at RMN (codenamed "Generica"), and the later community project "Missiongarde".

Maybe I'll revive them one day...
I don't really regret any of my projects. At worst they were abandoned learning experiences. At best they are future projects that are sitting on the back-burner just waiting for me to pick up again.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
vanilla villain
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
the colony, but i am in the process of fixing that regret.
*tardis deletes harddrive*

Now the vapourware can haunt you no longer!
I regret making my very first jump game. I could knock it off as a learning experience, but its quite dreadful I had wanted people to go and actually play it.

I also regret the first Blockman game I made, its combat system was far too much to be desired for.

After those projects I ended up refining my method and learning ,any new techniques, and now I hpoe to come back better than ever. 5 years in the making.
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
I regret notthiiinnnggggg except for not finishing a bunch of stuff
Another one I regret, I don't have a link for this one though, was "How many pokemon can you kill with a gun", it never got to a properly playable stage, it was just a picture of a pikachu appearing in different positions and you as the player having a cross-hair as your mouse curser and having to click on it, it was inspired by the excessive amount of pokemon games I was hearing about people attempting to make in sphere.
author=Rhuan
Another one I regret, I don't have a link for this one though, was "How many pokemon can you kill with a gun", it never got to a properly playable stage, it was just a picture of a pikachu appearing in different positions and you as the player having a cross-hair as your mouse curser and having to click on it, it was inspired by the excessive amount of pokemon games I was hearing about people attempting to make in sphere.

hehe sounds fun ^0^
http://rpgmaker.net/games/879/
As well as parts 2 and 3, and the original version of the first one. They were all made in three years total, and it shows. At least part 5 isn't AS bad as the first four...
i merely regret all my horrible procrastinating
There's a work project from a decade that I regret. It was one of my first. It was for $4,000. The catch is I did the project too fast. I literally did it in 2 hours at least a first draft of phase 1 and the first draft was so good it was considered done. Well the company didn't want to pay me $2,000 per hour.

So the client cut my company loose and didn't use the project. Then the client went with another design company for phase 1 that charged $35,000 and took a full year to design less than what I did in 2 hours. How does that make sense?

Now I've learned that if I get done with a project in a quick amount of time, just sit and wait a day.
To add more flavour to this discussion we could try saying why we regret these things...

So the game linked in my first topic, I regret as I named it fun, whereas whatever it is it definitely isn't fun, it's a lame somewhat lame one on one battle featuring a pseudo rock paper scissors concept (attack beats fierce attack beats defence beats attack, except different combinations do different amounts of damage, and there are random numbers involved, each amount of damage is rolled on a roll table and ends up varying widely so it is utterly luck based, add to this that the combatants are represented by coloured rectangles, and that the whole game is solely the one fight, and, yeah, why is it called fun?

The kill pokemon game I regret because I started it, got discussion going on a forum about it, and then really felt like doing something else and also realised that I don't actually like the image of pokemon with bullet wounds...
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't... "regret" making Double Trouble, since hey, I was 14 and my friends liked it, and it got me into game design. But it is hweming awful beyond belief. The two main characters are James and Jesse (who are both male), and when their hometown is attacked by the Empire they form Team Rocket and set out on a quest to defeat it. Along they way they:
-Get all my best friends at the time on their team
-Discover that the Empire is controlled by demons
-Recite the Team Rocket motto every time there's a boss
-Drudge through probably 15 hours of extremely simple, repetitive gameplay with buggy cut scenes
-Learn some buff spells that increase your stats permanently and can be used an infinite number of times outside of battle, because I didn't know how to make buffs be temporary
-One of the party members gets killed at the beginning of the final dungeon because I stopped being friends with him
-Defeat the demons by understanding the true meaning of friendship, and also by accidentally blowing up an entire continent
-Optionally uncover a secret Sailor Moon sidequest, where James and Tuxedo Mask have a rose-wielding-and-motto-reciting contest, and then you fight the Sailor Squad

I spent almost two years on this game. Though that still makes it by far the shortest project I've ever done, not counting Flower Bubble Game!!!. Which probably deserves its own post in this topic.
author=SorceressKyrsty
I regret notthiiinnnggggg except for not finishing a bunch of stuff
Pages: first 12 next last