THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@Necrile:
I agree on Miracle's interface improvement. I also agree with Craze that your font is ridiculous and hard to read. If you're looking for something casual and friendly looking, try the "Anime Ace" font. It's a font typically used in amateur manga translations, and is free for non-profit use. Download link.

I guess I should post screenshots here, yeah? Here's my first boss, Duke Dorsilicus von Killershades XXIII. Who is a giant shark with sunglasses. I'm working on my battle interface. I got status effects to display via icons, but there's only room to show only five at a time, which is kind of irritating. Any ideas on ways to get around this that would look good? Five status effects at once won't be that uncommon.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the battle menu being left-aligned. But I don't think it's a good idea to cover up the HP/MP/status info, and if it's center-aligned then you can't see the battle.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
The shark is like "dealwithit.gif".
author=LockeZ
I got status effects to display via icons, but there's only room to show only five at a time, which is kind of irritating. Any ideas on ways to get around this that would look good? Five status effects at once won't be that uncommon.

I'm also not sure how I feel about the battle menu being left-aligned. But I don't think it's a good idea to cover up the HP/MP/status info, and if it's center-aligned then you can't see the battle.

My suggestion would be to draw up a linear scale that denotes the prioritization of the buffs/debuffs and when you reach more than 5 you only show the worst/most urgent buffs.

I'm not sure if there is much you can do about the menu. Rather than aligning it you could have it appear above or ontop of the character whose turn it is? Atleast that way you wouldn't need to have a huge thing with the character's name on top of the menu. Then you could reduce the vertical spacing of the text such that the entire menu fits below where the enemies will be positioned.

Here's a quick mockup of what it could look like.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'm amused that you actually bothered to create a mockup instead of just describing your idea. It still covers up the center of the screen though, exactly where either the main character or one of the enemies is almost always going to be. I agree that the character's name is totally unnecessary though, and approve of the condensed text. I think I might instead redo the command window entirely to not have a background, so it looks more natural on the side like that.

Displaying buffs based on priority is not going to work because they are pretty much all important. I might be able to get away with consolidating the icons... so if you have two speed-lowering debuffs, it shows one icon with two arrows in it. But still, there are eight stats that can be buffed/debuffed, plus plenty of other effects like stun and clearcasting and poison and regen. So that doesn't solve the problem, it just delays it until later in the game when actors and enemies both have more status skills. Meh.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Do stat buffs/debuffs like in Strange Journey: holding the right trigger pulls down the amount each buff/debuff has been applied on foes and allies.
@LockeZ: I mostly do the mockups for fun haha. Sounds good. :)
Well, I haven't worked on it in forever but I had icons for debuffs and only showed three at a time... I just paged them so they cycle through. It's probably easier to do in RMVX, I'm assuming, but in RM2K3 I just had as many variable slots as I did status effects, and the number in that variable corresponded with a given status effect (i.e. 1 = Stun, 2 = Poison). Then there's an extra variable that tracks the total number of statuses affecting the character to determine the number of pages to cycle through for display. It sounds complicated, but it's not that difficult. Let me make a video or something...

Edit: Excuse the fumbling... It's been long enough that I forget where my status switches were. I canceled out into another menu to force my "check statuses" event to run since just turning on the switches doesn't really do the job. I clicked off the game window which is why the audio stops towards the end.

Really digging the retro look, great job. :)
LockeZ
Ah, I like the simple method you use to scroll through them. I'd considered having them scroll sideways in a more animated fashion, but your way looks much easier.
hey jude, the icons look rad, and i'm super glad to see that Necropolis is coming along :)
benos
My mind is full of fuck.

WIP Dreamwalker map, i was looking for a desert type part for Kindred Area. Don't
know if what I should change, or whatever is spread is about that i should do. I just don't
think it's right for me. There are many world maps, I can re-choose over this one, I recently
downloaded Everlong, and i might choose one of those map chipsets.
author=mellytan
hey jude, the icons look rad, and i'm super glad to see that Necropolis is coming along :)

Thanks, but... uh.... it's not. I haven't worked on it in ages. I should probably update the game page.
@Benos: I like the chipset you're using but, the setup is really kind of... square. And huge. And kinda plain. Maybe vary it up a bit, add a bit of jaggedness to the coastline, get rid of the straight lines, don't just autofill large areas - add clearings to your forest, more mountains to the desert. You can use SHIFT to help you place trees next to each other. Make things a little more interesting and natural-looking.

Here's a few maps to help you out:
Forevers' End
Chronology of the Last Era
Hero's Realm
Malevolent
Realms Shattered ;P
Luminous Vestar
Tears of the Sword

BTW: There are not enough world maps shown in the really good projects. Please rectify this! We need a World Map Day or something. ;.;

benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Thanks Liberty, But I may or may not delete everything except Kindred, as I can do it on another map anyway. So just temporary. Everything is just a bunch or random stuff. But will properly end up in the game anyway

So Kindred is basically left on a map of it's own.

Courtwood and Kindred are connected, and i might make a larger map of the area for the world map, as i progress though. It'll be awhile when you play the game to enter the world map anyway.

Quinn Doria is far off west. Later on in the game you go there for personal reasons.

If my map doesn't really please a lot of people, I'm obviously needing a new chipset. But i got heaps in the folder handy or from other games.

Please don't kill me.
I always wanted to do this.
Ever since I played FFT for the first time.

EDIT: This post suffered an image change
And yeah, it IS just lame 2k3 dbs.
LockeZ
It took me a couple minutes to realize that was just the 2K3 DBS with a confusing background, and not some sort of attempt at making a tactical battle system with horribly mismatched graphics.
Hey.. I noticed something interesting while toying with those graphical ideas... If the character attacks a monster at hisher right, shehim turns to the right. Same goes to left. While this is plain obvious and everyone who used Pincer Attacks in their games remember of it, I wonder if there are actual statistical changes to it?
I mean, like getting hit harder from behind, or not dodging or something.
And can I check wich way a character is facing? With events, I mean. And in battle.
Is it possible? Probably not, but If it were, I could use it to change the stats of the characters myself. :p
Seems interesting. Hm.

And that screenshot with the clashing graphics was just me casting oil on myself, and then calling all the bombfolk here. :D
Anyways.
Tons of people here mixed tons of mismatching graphics up (Rudra with Refmap with RTP etc) and nobody cared, even LEO & LEAH DOES BTW, so why complain about Joseph's screen? I find that screen pretty cool.

arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
Oh god that avatar! Deacon must be that guy from chat roulette.