THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

I'm trying to do something a little different for the worldmap in Super Doki Doki World. Since the game is linear, I went with the "straight" left-to-right worldmap style of games like Yoshi's Island or New SMB. This game is a blend of SMW and SMB2, so I tried to give off that vibe with the custom tiles I made.

Thoughts?
There are conflicting perspectives. Mainly with those wavy hills, the single tile mounds, and those finger things with eyes.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Maybe the waterfall should have water above it? Looks nice, simple!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The fact that the main land mass is from an angle where you can see the top of it but the square hills aren't looks kinda weird to me. The hills all seem to be a perfect side-view like you see in normal stages. It looks fine for the round hills and the red plants, because you can't tell what angle they're being seen from, but the square green hills and the little brown/green posts look pretty odd to me.

Also, is the north edge of this continent the edge of the world, and it just drops off into outer space past that? I guess it's supposed to be the horizon, but I'm not used to seeing a horizon in what's for the most part a top-down map that doesn't have any kind of distance perspective.
author=Brent
@ Demi - I just read your blogpost about your game being cancelled...it really is a shame. Oh well. Hopefully, you'll get back to game making and make another project! :D

I really appreciate your support. But there gets to be a point where you can only rewrite it so many times before you have to admit to fundamental flaws. This project has taught me a lot. There is a lot I love about it, and hopefully someone else will love it too.

That being said... Another project is already in the works. I'm very excited about it because of my new approach to coding and design.

No screens yet, but more of Beyond Eden to come.
author=King of Games
There are conflicting perspectives. Mainly with those wavy hills, the single tile mounds, and those finger things with eyes.

Those wavy hills and stumps are the only custom tiles I made. The rest are ripped directly from SMW. :\ (So I guess Nintendo sprited conflicting perspectives...?) I am (probably) not skilled enough with spriting to make the wavy hills less conflicting.

As for the horizon - yes, it is the horizon. :D

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The wavy hills and stumps are what conflict with everything else, to me. The round hills with eyes don't, because you can't tell whether you're looking at them from overhead or straight forward, they are round so they look the same either way. I do like the wavy hills, they look really good! Maybe just make the tops rounded. Dunno what to say about the brown stumps.

The idea that the original game had perspective problems also is totally believable to me though.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
SMW has no perspective problems. It's just that the world map view and the level view use different perspectives and kentona mixed the two.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Maybe the perspective is that way because Doki Doki World is in Panic!
Cool shit! Only criticism: the clouds at the bottom all look the same. The way you did them at the top is better.
LockeZ
I think that is supposed to be the polar ice cap, not clouds, but I agree with Deacon. It does look good and functional.

I tweaked the perspectives of the "custom" tiles I added to the world map.
author=LockeZ
I think that is supposed to be the polar ice cap, not clouds, but I agree with Deacon. It does look good and functional.

Yeah, those are polar Ice caps, and thanks guys
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
That is a nice map, Zaeran, but I feel like I've seen it somewhere before.

Where did you "get" it?
It looks a bit like the world map of Dragon Quest 8. A bit... Still, pretty sweet looking.

I really like that, Kentona. It looks great! (I just read your avatar/comment as "The A is for Gandalf!" and was momentarily confused. XD )

Messing around with text drawing and the text background I use. I debated a darker background without the drop shadow, but to me this seems a little better.

(The status menu is actually pasted in from slightly later in this tutorial map; ordinarily nothing really shows there during the message, but I wanted to demonstrate the variety.)
Not bad! Though I think the info panel on the right could be bigger. It's a lot of info on an otherwise vacant map (though I know the map is a place holder)
Generally, I like it!

Edit: Just noticed the picture has a scroll bar. The info panel is probably appropriately sized.
Nice,simple, effective, easy to navigate, just perfect except for those icons for weapons, they really don't fit the style of panel.
I created the map myself,but with Campaign Cartographer and GIMP. Perhaps you've seen the same "style" map, but I can assure you I made the map myself.