THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Sorry about the double post. For some reason I can't edit my above post.

Anyway, I took this pic to illustrate the tree perspective more clearly. I think it looks correct.

You'll also notice I changed the exterior wall texture as you suggested, and I think it looks much more natural now. Thanks again!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Can you make the shadows under the trees transparent? Making the shadows taller would also help the trees appear to be more overheadish. Because the trees' shadows are so horizontal, the tree looks like is is from a 10 degree angle instead of a 30 or 45 degree angle.

I also agree that the grass is really bright. It would look less startling if it were just a bit duller. That bright green color isn't unrealistic, but it draws a lot of attention to itself and that's not something that grass should really do. In addition, if you didn't already, you might want to change the green rooftops to be a different shade of green than the grass. Like maybe more of a dull olive green.
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<
I think the tree shadow is what is throwing Creation off. The shadow should be the same spherical size as the foliage part of the tree.
Thanks guys! Here is the new and improved version:

I already think it looks much nicer. Please keep it up guys, this stuff is gold! :)
Since I still can't edit my posts, here is revision 3:

I think the darker colours look more genuinely medieval, but do you guys think the overall palette is appealing?
you should make the shadows on your trees a lot darker. compare the color of the darkest part of the tree with the darkest colors on your sprites, for instance.

also, the long hair on your sprites seem very plain and dull, being just one flat color.

also, i'd suggest somehow making the grass blend with the asphault more. like, maybe add some shadows/highlights along the edge of your grass.
Darker shadows it is! I've been having some trouble with the long hair, because even though it isn't monochromatic, the highlights are so soft that they are almost invisible on the actual sprite. It's something I definitely have to fix.

Adding more definition to the grass-road border is a very good idea. Now that I have all the basic sprites finished for a large number of different areas, it's great to hear about ways to refine them. Thanks again!

I'll refrain from posting more pics until the modifications are complete. I don't want to keep clogging up the thread with all my stuff after all. :)
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
author=Deacon Batista
@ benos:
I am no fan of standard textboxes. And is the right guy a giant? The screen tone makes it more interesting though.

Nope, not a giant, I care not for realism that much, unless, I decided to minimize the battlechar though.
i just tried doing that, but it screwed itself up

It's a little dark, because it's a mine. :p

Mountains are a little trick in VX, does this work at all? I am a little shaky about it still.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Forgive my bluntness Chartley, but that doesn't look good to me at all. Not that I could do any better, but...
I love VX with all my heart, but I think if they had kept the XP mapping system, it would probably have been flawless. Oh well!
Well VX RTP just looks bad. I mean yeah the chipset system is a bit limiting but you can still make decent maps in VX.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
@Chartley, it's not bad for the configuration, try to make it less straight down (and less bare).
Very valid point chana! the First Seed Material stuff looks quite a bit better for sure. One thing that sucks about the map system is the lack of directional passing, but I guess KGC wrote a script for that.
author=Chartley
Mountains are a little trick in VX, does this work at all? I am a little shaky about it still.

I'm not a fan of VX's blocky art style, but I think your mountain would look better if it was less 'busy' with so many rough edges. Try making the mountain platforms more square and the mountain wall more solid with fewer edges. It's not the way a mountain actually looks, but for these sprites I think it's hip to be square. :)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The walls in the lower left part confuse the hell out of me. Especially when they cast a shadow on the ground above them.

Can't you at least toss some diagonal tiles in there? Man.
I agree that some diagonal tiles would help to smooth things out a lot.

I haven't decided what to do about the characters yet, but I've implemented all the changes to the exterior of the town you guys mentioned. I think it already looks a lot better, so thanks again. :) I'd really like to know what you guys think of the grass:

I'm also working on an overworld sprite set. Retro in 3...2...1...

While it is intentionally very retro, I still want it to look appealing. Any feedback you guys have would again be greatly appreciated.
LockeZ
The grass looks way better!

On the world map, the rows of tiny non-connected mountains in the lower half of the screenshot look awkward to me. They don't look bad on their own, but having a row of them looks bad because they're not connected to each-other, while the upper mountains are. The rest of it looks okay, if a little bare.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I really like those 2 maps, very original, obviously entirely custom, wow, great job!

/me is still working like a dog on this event game.