THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
"it doesn't count", it's not worthy"...? these are children's words(?)!.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Ugh, double post. Sorry.
Craze
LockeZ
Isn't there a way you could make this gameplay with real maps?

You're a dirty, rotten mapist. I spit on you!

Also, it's way too busy and a test map. I need to figure out a better way to do it; I'm thinking much more geometric designs, and maybe no "clutter objects."

EDIT: Does something simpler like this look better?

As for "real maps," hell no. I wasted so much time in previous games making "real" (dirty mapist) locations that fit the one-tile-choke-point necessity that it is simply not worth it.

Besides, this game is far too heavily inspired by Dissidia.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't see why you need one tile choke points. I mean, I played Visions and Voices, and the real-world maps in it looked and worked completely fine; they looked fine because you put effort into making them look fine and you're a good mapper, and they worked fine because enemies moved. But if you don't want enemies to move, you can just enforce a 2 or 3 tile range around enemies that always result in battles. Or have a row of tiles in front of the enemy that start the battle when the player steps on any of them.

I know you made decent maps for this game already, because I can literally see the forest map in the background below the crystal tiles. I'm 100% sure you could just straight up use that map, and assemble the monsters and chests onto it to get the same gameplay you have now. It still wouldn't look good - I like maps to have meaning, not just be random disconnected outdoor locations - but it would look about 70 times better than it does now.

If you don't think a bare minimum of visual presentation is something that's worth spending time on, then... okay, but the screenshot topic probably isn't where you want to be hanging out.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=LockeZ
real map

I know right

if only there was any example of a commercial game that didn't use 'real maps'

and didn't involve exploring the specific locations, only the puzzles and fights involved in moving between them

yet still put forth a bare minimum of visual presentation
User was warned for this post
author=Versalia
atlas

Did you really need to post a bunch of images from games to prove your awesome point. Use hide tags at least if you're not posting screens from your game.

Let's get back on track here:

I recently decided to do a bit of work on this game. You can see the entire layout of the town on the world map, no 1 tile little bundle of houses to represent it.

The Link sprite is for beta testing, please ignore. But that's an enemy touch encounter at the bottom. Touching them will result in a random monster group and they respawn after about a minute.

I'm currently editing the main character sprites, mostly to make the skin color white but of course I had to edit other things. It always bugged me that even though the sprite is holding the shield in his left hand, when you walk to the left you see his arm swinging. It's holding a shield!
Versalia
author=Link_2112
author=Versalia
atlas
Did you really need to post a bunch of images from games to prove your awesome point

yes

but thank god you're a forum mod to keep everybody in line or else this thread would totally derail

I recently decided to do a bit of work on this game. You can see the entire layout of the town on the world map, no 1 tile little bundle of houses to represent it.

Not that anything would be wrong with that. You just deemed overworld graphics to be an area that deserved more attention than others. So now it's a 4-tile bundle of houses instead of 1-tile right? But... that's still just a little cluster of buildings to represent it. You just made the cluster... more representational.

edit: your representational cluster lacks the shading and color depth that even the rest of the .. monochromatic screenshot has. Add more colors
User was warned for this post
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Link_2112, that's looking really snazzy.
author=Versalia
but thank god you're a forum mod to keep everybody in line or else this thread would totally derail

haha Always so defensive, you are. Didn't think I needed to be a mod to attempt to steer the conversation in a more positive direction. Beg your pardon, sir.

Not that anything would be wrong with that. You just deemed overworld graphics to be an area that deserved more attention than others. A clever idea, though. It's cute. But... that's still just a little cluster of buildings to represent it. You just made the cluster... more representational.

Thanks. And yeah, it's still a cluster of buildings because that's what a town is :) It's like having a mini-map sitting on the overworld. Plus it's different and that's cool, right?

edit: your representational cluster lacks the shading and color depth that even the rest of the .. monochromatic screenshot has. Add more colors

True. I'll have to try other things. I think each shade is too dark so it makes it stand out more. Not sure how much detail I can fit in with other colors since the buildings are so small, but I'll try to add a pixel of shadow under it. That might help. It was a spur of the moment idea so I glazed over it.

author=Max McGee
Link_2112, that's looking really snazzy.

Thanks, bro.
Versalia
author=Link_2112
haha Always so defensive, you are. Didn't think I needed to be a mod to attempt to steer the conversation in a more positive direction. Beg your pardon, sir.

Pardon granted. BEGRUDGINGLY

Thanks. And yeah, it's still a cluster of buildings because that's what a town is :) It's like having a mini-map sitting on the overworld. Plus it's different and that's cool, right?

Gold star for different, definitely. It shows that you put thought into how to differentiate the small details.

I'll try to add a pixel of shadow under it. That might help. It was a spur of the moment idea so I glazed over it.

Try to mimic the other stuff on the map - see how your buildings all have a hard black outline around all three/four sides of the buildings, but everything on the worldmap only has a hard black line on its right side? Do that.

Eh, I dunno how I feel about different colors for the outlines but here's what it looks like. It works on trees but not everything has those kinds of outlines. Objects like the bridge, temple and characters don't. I never really noticed before but there are plenty of mismatched outlines on tiles.

I put in the updated hero sprite since I had it open in another window.

Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Again, those Links aren't going to be Links in the final thing, right?
author=Max McGee
Again, those Links aren't going to be Links in the final thing, right?

I sent the game to my friend and put them there to really stand out as things that aren't part of the game. You talk to the Link and it shows message with some info. I just made changes to the screenshot and not in the actual game. The game is going through...significant changes and it would be pointless to update now :D
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Link it needs more Links. Every NPC should be Link.
author=Dudesoft
Link it needs more Links. Every NPC should be Link.

haha If you played that demo...there's about 12 Links. I feel like going back and editing them out >.>

*THERE, NO MORE LINKS!!
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Nicely done!
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Beautiful and austere.
Craze
Feldschlacht IV
Eh.

*Person posts a picture of themselves on Facebook
<Person> OMG I'M SO UGLY
*Person is not actually ugly but rather quite attractive