THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=Craze

At least (last) I understand your no map system, but rather than those "cartoonish" icecubes, wouldn't something as abstract, i.e. as neutral as possible do better (I don't know the vx chipsets so I wouldn't know which)?
I dunno, I really like it the way it is. It's cute but not overly so and easy to understand without dumbing down. I'm really looking forward to playing it. ^.^

(Oh and Deacon Batista? This is two pages back now, but I assure you, there are girls working on games. And some have even finished them! I know, shocking concept, but true. :D )
I've already nagged Craze into submission regarding the unilateral use of MirrorWorldâ„¢ tiles.
I actually rather like the simple cleanness of Craze's map design; it's easy to tell where everything important is and the goal is obvious.

It actually reminds me a bit of the old Sega Genesis game Trampoline Terror:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mvmDrp8UyU
Max
Edit: Holy shit people actually still post games on GamingW SaltW?
No. It was a year ago or so...
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
NewBlack
I've already nagged Craze into submission regarding the unilateral use of MirrorWorldâ„¢ tiles.

and so he did some edits for me

test map is completely not-so-functional and the events are just thrown on for the purposes of showing off the new look

i should probably bump that name box over

except whoops I forgot that I don't think that the bare minimum of presentation is worthwhile so apparently I'm a sinner, sorry LockeZ that I am a failure, I will never amount to anything and that your post was dickish as hell under a veil of good grammar

also this game is more like Dissidia than V&V or any traditional jrpg (not that V&V is a traditional jrpg), so uh <insert versalia's post here>; sorry that you made assumptions

chana
Oh yeah, much better, imo (good work Newblack, and Craze!).
author=Craze
and so he did some edits for me

test map is completely not-so-functional and the events are just thrown on for the purposes of showing off the new look

It looks cool that way. I hope that background scrolls as you walk along the upper section.

except whoops I forgot that I don't think that the bare minimum of presentation is worthwhile so apparently I'm a sinner, sorry LockeZ that I am a failure, I will never amount to anything and that your post was dickish as hell under a veil of good grammar

Yeah, LockeZ, you should know better than to be a dick. Only Craze is allowed to do that.
Whoops, forgot to comment on some.

@Link_2112
The setup definitely has some charm, and I like the random respawning enemy idea. The town looks a bit too stark compared to the shading of the rest of the image; I would use the same shading as the trees to make them match.

@Feldschlacht IV
That is really quite beautiful. The only thing I'm curious about is the light source, as the wall appears to become darker further up but the bottom is also more saturated and darker in colour. Is there a roof or overhang above? This isn't a problem. I'm just curious.

Now for the new...

@Deacon Batista
I'm rather fond of parody games...can I be a villain? I can be the sniveling henchman who's all, "Yes my massster!" and, "Fusion canon at 38%" power", and who gets killed by the end of the second act. Story of my life.

@Craze
I maintain that your original looked fine, but that organic map does look pretty cool. The background layer really does enhance the feeling of being in a labyrinth of intestines. The spider is a bit of an odd choice as an enemy, but the eyeball monster looks right at home.

Here is my updated wilderness tileset with the new grass (mostly) implemented and a redrawn rockface. I draw the diagonals over again to make them hopefully look a bit more organic. I'm still working on some more curved segments:

chana
The wall is definitely better, the grass is fine (not VERY different!), I would say the only thing that looks a bit akward is the borders of the cliffs-grass, too straight (geometrical), should be a bit more irregular.
@ Lucidstillness:
Well, your makerscore is too low to get such a big role. I don't have enough roles for everybody. But since you want it so hard I will think about a way to include you into one sequence :-)

By the way, your screen needs more stuff. Little plants, bushes, maybe even little trees, or tiny stones, whatever... fill it up a bit. The wall on the right is way too straight.
@Chana
Thanks. I think they look too straight as well; I think I will break them up the same way as I did on the bottom.

@Deacon Batista
lol I was half joking, but thank you, that does sound cool. I really should raise my maker score somehow.

The screen above is just a test to show off the walls; the final map will be a lot more lively. As I said to Chana, I will also be breaking up that straight wall a bit, and try to make it look more organic. So far the wildernss tileset has been the most difficult by far, but I think I'm making progress.
author=Craze

Eh, while it looks okay, I really did prefer the other way. Oh well, it's about taste I guess. It's just harder to tell apart from the background now, even with the darkening. ^.^;
I'd recommend a contrasting color for the background. Dark purple would look nice.
I have it on authority that the lower layer background.. scrolls.

I... think.

Perhaps I may turn this into a game after I get more art done. Inspired by Dragon Warrior III, and a bit of Legend of Zelda. The top screen is still a work in progress, because I left some trace elements of a simpler design behind.
author=Lucidstillness
Here is my updated wilderness tileset with the new grass (mostly) implemented and a redrawn rockface. I draw the diagonals over again to make them hopefully look a bit more organic. I'm still working on some more curved segments:

I'd like to see what this screenshot would look like if the color of the grass had less saturation and was a pinch lighter. The stone wall looks fine. You might want to make a few extra tiles so people can break up the rock face a bit.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Radnen: I like this look much more than your previous uber-blocky games. My only beef is that you seem determined to use ALL the shades; your grass is way too defined imo. Kill the lightest shade and see how it looks, maybe; I think it'd help the objects pop much better, and strain fewer eyes.

NewBlack
I have it on authority that the lower layer background.. scrolls.

I... think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9vxi3lNUiI

Just a link because I've hijacked this topic enough, and you should probably read the description since it's an extremely rough draft, I'm not sure what I want to do with it yet.
@Radnen
The tileset looks very retro and nice. If you sprited it all yourself, it's very impressive and authentic looking! I do agree with Craze that the grass is too bright and defined (finding just the right look for grass is something I seem to be having a problem with as well). I think it would also look a bit nicer if the banks of the body of water were rounded rather than rigidly square. The trees also seem a bit out of perspective compared to the houses, as they appear to be viewed from the side while the houses can be viewed slightly overhead. This isn't really a big deal though.

@Lene
Thank you for the feedback. Yes, I'm still not completely happy with the way the grass looks; the colour seems off somehow, and I think it's missing some detail. Finding just the right colour and detail for grass is proving surprisingly difficult! I like your idea about variant rock faces, and I'll see if they'll work in the tileset.

@Craze
I really do love the menu system you have in your game at the moment. I can't really comment too much on it since a) I don't know much scripting and b) I haven't used VX, but I can tell you that, superficially, it looks quite nice.

Your unique take on the dungeons still looks good, but I'm not sure I like some of the trees and whatnot on little floating islands by themselves; that, somehow, seems more odd than the rest of the level floating. When everything is together, it looks like the background is just framing the dungeon. However, when there are little islands, it seems more like the dungeon is actually floating overhead. Just my opinion.

Alright, ironed out a few more kinks.

@Craze: Yeah, I understand the issue with the grass. Thanks for the tip!

@Lucidstillness: The water, well... was in the style of the retro-y dragon warrior, which is indeed square like. I've changed it up a bit, but perhaps needs a bit more work.