THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

With the top one, adding a darker outline to the characters should help it look a tad better. (I'm not saying black, but a touch darker so that they pop a bit more. )

I love the flowers, btw.
There's one minor issue I have with that screen - the roof tile. The auto tile automatically got rid of the side edges because of the perceived height differences in the roof, so here's a fix. Hold SHIFT and right-mouse click over an edged tile, then - still holding SHIFT - Left-mouse click on the spot you want that tile to be.

SO the top circled tile (which, as you can see on the left is different) would be SHIFT+copied to the bottom right chip. And the same with the other edged chips (above the top roof corner tile).

Congratulations! Your mapping ability leveled up!
+3 Aesthetic!
+2 Copying!
+2 RTP!
You learned the Shift Mapping Technique!
Ick! Thank you! It kept doing that before and I fixed it, but it must have done it again when I was fixing the rest of the map -_-
Ahem.

(Does a notification get sent when you reupload a screenshot? If so, sorry to Tephra's 13 subscribers :P)
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
author=Pokemaniac
Ahem.

(Does a notification get sent when you reupload a screenshot? If so, sorry to Tephra's 13 subscribers :P)

I don't think so.
Looks nice!
Tau
RMN sex symbol

Nothing really new here, but I like em. Both from DT.
@Craze
Ah, well that makes sense then.

@Radnen
Even nicer than before. Those conifer trees look to be more in perspective, and the variations in the water bank look quite nice. I prefer the lighter grass in the second screenshot to the more saturated grass in the first, as I believe the less saturated colour will be easier on the eyes in the long-term.

@Pokemaniac
That is a very nice use of the tileset. The only thing that seems a bit odd is the height of the trees compared to the house, but I suppose they could be young trees.

@Tau
Those screens look very beautiful. I'm curious about what tileset you used, as I've been trying to figure out a way to create that submerged effect. The only problem I see is that some of the mountain pixels don't match in the second screenshot, but I imagine that is a problem with the tileset itself and not your mapping.

Here is the newest version of my wilderness tileset, which I imagine everyone is sick to death of by now. Don't worry, I'll be showing something more interesting soon.

I recoloured the grass to a more realistic tone, tweaked the rock face walls so that they look more organic and more naturally blend into one another, changed the overall colour tone of the tileset, added some new rocks, remade the deciduous trees, blended the dirt paths to reduce pixelation and changed the flowers.

The rock walls are still diagonally contrived, but I think they look nice and asymmetrical. The way the XP RTP handles curved rockfaces is to 'squeeze' the front texture into three increasingly thin increments, then cut this new texture from above and below in a quarter circle. This did create a very smooth curve when I tried it, but this approach was not intended for use with fully diagonal textures and the two don't match when they are put together. So, I did this instead. As always, I am very grateful for feedback.

I would also like some feedback on the new character sprite prototype in the above image. I took what Creation said into consideration, and ultimately decided that a more realistic character sprite would be more visually striking and would better serve the narrative I was creating. I'm sure you will agree that projects tend to take on a life of their own as you work on them, and that is certainly the case with this game. When I started working on it back in June, I envisioned it as a fun little romp that payed tribute to retro games. As I continued to write the story and characters however, I realized that the tone of the game I was creating didn't match the visuals (and you guys also helped me to realize that). I'm not saying you can't make a serious story with SD characters, as many great RPG Maker game creators have done so, but in my mind this style will work better for this game. I would of course love feedback.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
All this looks much much better (trees, grass, earth), and in fact really nice. The only thing that bothers me is the cliff's border where you have smaller very regular, tight rocks, in fact they should be like the rest (and maybe that little pile of high rocks next to the tree?). Really nice work.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence

I know I'm already in startling violation of RMN etiquette, since my last five or so comments here have been largely positive, but...

Damn that looks Billy Badass to me. It'd look even better with some of those little ripple thingies in the water.
@Tau: I love the submerged effect in both srceens, and it makes me wonder if underwater areas are recurrent in your game or if it's just a nice effect that you decided to add.. It would be interesting if it were the former, you don't see that kind of thing often.

Is the second screen completed, though? It sure has its oddities. Particularly that one huge tree and that one mountain top, they don't blend very well with their surroundings. I suggest you as well to spice up the ground a little. It looks like a carpet, all green from coast to coast. And how is that you can see the shadows of the clouds very well, but you can barely see the clouds themselves? That is odd.

@LucidStillness: Damn! that looks amazing, man. I don't know if I should continue pushing the issue of the trees, though. I guess they look good enough already, but they still seem out of place to me. They lack the definition of everything else... Oh, well.

Besides that, I suggest you to make some kind of transition tile between the normal and the tall grass, so it looks more natural. And now that I think of it; Why is there sand, or why is the dirt yellow in a rocky mountain? Should it be more like gray/brown instead? ...Let's see. what else? Blades of grass around the rocks. Patchs of dirt around the tree trunks. Vines climbing on the walls, maybe. A less silly cave entrance...

The character looks fine to me. I think it's just the right size and the right amount of detail it should have, but I'm not so sure about the pose. Maybe if you could make him look more relaxed, specially when he's standing still, then it would look awesome.
@chana
Thank you! The smaller rock border is kind of a leftover from when I was thinking of putting a border of rocks around the top of the rock face, which is quite common in RPGs. However, I ultimately decided against doing that. If it's distracting, the row of stones can be replaced easily enough.

@alterego
Thanks! I'm honestly not sure how to make the trees any more realistic than they are in this scale. I mean, I could define the leaves more, but doing so would make the leaves huge in comparison to the character sprite and everything else, and while that looks fine in a more stylized game, I don't know if it would work here. I am open to suggestions as to how to improve them.

The tall grass was made with an autotile, but I could add some stray blades of grass on the edges of the tiles to make the transition more natural. I think I might take your advice and darken the sand too, which should be pretty easy. The little details like blades of grass, patches of dirt and vines are all cool things I'll be adding eventually, so I'm glad you brought them up. I'm not sure what you mean by the cave entrance looking silly. Do you mean the arrow, the clean edges, or something else?

The character graphic is just a prototype, so I'll try to make his pose a bit more natural. I was worried the dark border would be distracting, but I think it defines the character well.

Thanks again guys!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Max McGee
I know I'm already in startling violation of RMN etiquette, since my last five or so comments here have been largely positive, but...

yes yes you're the messiah

lucidstillness, I really like that character, although his outline is quite harsh against the tiles.

Also uh I guess this is me saying "Edifice is going to look a little different this time"

Max McGee
isn't that just in praise of peace?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Max McGee

Edifice is the sequel to Diablocide is the sequel to In Praise of Peace, not that any of the games have ever been finished. The time periods are different, though; IPoP is three generations before Diablocide while Edifice is pretty much a "twenty years later..." story. Princess and Kristoph's daughter is the MC.
Tau: I love the use of old school graphics! Sometimes I find that skillful use of 16 bit graphics can look better than the "modern" graphics you see in RPG Maker XP and VX.

Craze: Forgive me if Ive missed something, but your game looks really interesting: Looks like it plays a bit differently than a traditional RPG. Care to enlighten me?
@Tau:

Other than that i agree with Max McGee keep up the good work, btw remove the mountain on top of a mountain of the secondshot XD!

@Lucidstillness:
About the submerged effects. First screenshot by Tau uses event's to create the effect and the second screenshot is the chipset itself.

2ND POST:
@Tau: Looking a lot better already boss, you know what to do for the rest.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Wow thanks guys, glad you all like it! Lucidsstillness, what Far_oz said, event's were used for the water in the first screenshot and world map consists of that underwater effect.

@Far_oz - Is this one any better(initial post should've changed), I think I addressed all those issues you brought up?
Max McGee
author=Craze
Max McGee
Edifice is the sequel to Diablocide is the sequel to In Praise of Peace, not that any of the games have ever been finished. The time periods are different, though; IPoP is three generations before Diablocide while Edifice is pretty much a "twenty years later..." story. Princess and Kristoph's daughter is the MC.

no i just meant that screen looks just like ipop but with different pcs (and i guess if i really search my memory, it's ptb rather than ctb)

author=Far_Oz
@Tau:

Other than that, i agree with Max McGee keep up the good work, btw remove the mountain on top of a mountain of the secondshot XD!

@Lucidstillness:
About the submerged effects. First screenshot by Tau uses events to create the effect and the second screenshot is the chipsets itself.

wow i really can't stand this kind of intensive nitpicking personally but if it's useful to Tau then good on ya i guess
author=Craze
terrible life choice
Pffffft it's okay I've proposed marriage on a whim before now. OTL
...not that those instances went well at all. IB

(also PS the fact that Ariel is giving me bedroom eyes every time you post makes me happy)

@Lucidstillness: I'd say you're off to a fab start on the sprite, but at the moment it's a bit to small for my liking! I say make it wider by at least a pixel (maybe two) and make the head a titch bigger. Also, the crotch is a bit too low, unless the character is meant to have a long upper body and short legs...? If not, raise that by one or two pixels and you should be good. >w<d

(if I'm sucking at communicating what I mean and you're staring at this in bewilderment but you still want any assistance I can offer, you could always send me the sprite file and I could make a few minor edits to show you what I mean!)