THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Could you point them??? I dont see them XDD

In game it looks better, i have to scale it 2 times in order to fit the screen size.

Uh, mostly on the upper left side. Above the grey track it looks stretched vertically and below the grey track it looks squished vertically.

The stuff on the underside of this rock formation looks normal, but everything above it is stretched every which way...it mostly comes out as blurry on top and crisp on the bottom.

*Fit the screen size? The image is so large that I have to scroll to view it all.
HAHAHA You really shouldn't post screens online if this is how to react to other people's opinions. If you put a screen in front of me I'm gonna express what I want to see in it. Show this screen to your mom, I'm sure she'll give plenty of compliments.

If you don't like what I said then ignore it. It's that simple.

xD
Holy crap. Geez, you could have just ignored what he was saying.

Edit: Refering to Allen.
@Allen: Well I guess you did post a screen shot. ^_^. In terms of the design choice I have no problem with it. It looks good for what it is. I recommend that you go with the Traditional layout and forget the Max HP thing.

Aside from that, I'd recommend you ignore some criticism if you dont feel that it is valuable. In terms of not posting your stuff on RM sites, I say post your images to get some fans for your game but take a page out of my book and send pictures and shots to "trusted" people to get advice on how something looks. People who are dedicated to making your game as good as it can get so to speak. All in all criticism sucks you can take it or leave it. If someone things your design choice is bad thats their opinion, in this case you have my opinion also which is the complete opposite. Keep at it. (BTW that FFIX Battle System is looking very appealing where did you get it from?)

P.S.: Would you please get an avatar, I hate look at blank space ;^D

I completely agree. ;)

I just think a lot of people try to find every silly little thing to complain about, when it's really unnecessary. And yeah, it's the guy's opinion. I'll just ignore the naysayers from now on. Unless they point out something that is quite obvious and needs to be looked at, I won't waste my time with them when I can use that amount of time spent typing up another long-winded response on the actual game. I know what looks good to me and opinions do vary anyway.

Thanks for your support. I also chose "Traditional" because I'm a fan of Final Fantasy V's battlesystem and how it forced the player to make up their minds on what to have the next character do for the current phase of combat without switching turns. So either you attack or heal, or you defend until the next turn.

I can't exactly remember where I got that FFIX system set but if you want I can send it to you. :P
Better.

I heard this said a thousand times before, and I'll say it now; just because some commercial game did something doesn't mean it's a good idea. I didn't like it in FF9 and I will never like it in any game. I wasn't talking about it just for an excuse to say something bad about your game. I see it as a pretty important issue for effective strategy.(LockeZ, back me up on this one! You seem like the kind of guy who would agree with me xD)

If I wanted to say something negative about the screen for no reason, I'd have brought up the fact that Talon appears to be standing too high up on the battle background. PICK PICK PICK
With HP, you know what the bad number is. Zero. Don't let it reach that number. You don't need a Max HP to let you know that much, do you? The battle looks pretty great, anyway. I really like the colours you've used - they're nice and 'earthy'. The monsters look great, as do the heroes. I do wish you'd use a different window skin, even if it is a FF fangame (which I'm guessing it is?), that doesn't mean you have to copy the skin and I've seen that one many times in both fangames and original.

I think the RTP cave looks pretty great. Don't care that it's all two colours - that's true to caves, especially limestone ones. I've got the feeling it's a dead end area, right? It's very well done. ^.^
Thanks, glad you like the visuals.

Honestly, max HP shouldn't be necessary for displaying in battles since it is assumed that you already memorized the Max HPs of all your characters before engaging in battle. It's only affected once you level up or in my game's case equip an ability that increases the max HP by #%. And if a new guy steps in to help out the team we'll know his current HP is the same as his max.

Besides much of the sprites and tiles, it's not a Final Fantasy fan game; it has its own story and elements (although they're influenced by the franchise in some ways). As for the skins, I agree, I'll see what I can do to make it different. Also, the player will be given the choice to choose from multiple window skins in the beginning, for the sake of preference.
Heh; Nice little discussion you guys have here... I'm going to pick Link's side and say that layout is indeed "Bad Design" Not on Allen Hunter's part, though, but Enterbrain's. =P Allen Hunter's only sin is just a 'bad choice' because he could always choose to use the layout with the facesets and all other info, nicely displayed for the player's sake. It also offers the highest grade of customization, just look a games like AAG.

Seriously though, think about it. There was a time when I too wanted my game to look like that. All with tiny characters, huge monsters, and everything else because lolfinalfantasy, right? But I've been trying to strive away from that lately. As far as the DBS allows me, that is.

(Now my game is just lolchronosuikoden instead.)
author=Allen Hunter
Thanks, glad you like the visuals.

Honestly, max HP shouldn't be necessary for displaying in battles since it is assumed that you already memorized the Max HPs of all your characters before engaging in battle. It's only affected once you level up or in my game's case equip an ability that increases the max HP by #%. And if a new guy steps in to help out the team we'll know his current HP is the same as his max.

That's not the reason I don't think showing the max hp in an RM game is not necessary. No, the reason why is because it's not needed to know what the maximum HP is because you already know what number to not let it reach. Of course, if you've got skills that require HP usage then you do need to know, or if you're skills deal in percentages. Take a skill that does 50% damage to the enemy, but also yourself. You need to know how much HP you'll be using. And no, you can't just 'remember' your max HP unless it's a static number that doesn't change. For example, capped at 100. HP changes and you shouldn't have to try to juggle around the numbers whilst focussing in battle.

Most games now days are so nerfed by the community that there's hardly any chance of an enemy hitting hard enough for you to need to know your max HP - that is, die from one hit. Such a game would be called 'too hard' and 'unbalanced' and either undergo changes or be swept under the rug in shame (either by the community or the creator).

Now, if we were talking about a game that was challenging, had HP usage for spells or have percantage attacks, then yes, Max HP should be shown. Why? Because you need to be able to calculate.

But if your game is the standard RPG fare with mild battles, lack of percentage/HP used skills or static HP growth, then worry not. Most likely you don't need to show your max hp.
author=Liberty
That's not the reason I don't think showing the max hp in an RM game is not necessary. No, the reason why is because it's not needed to know what the maximum HP is because you already know what number to not let it reach.

Even in a standard game with no HP related skills, I'd want to see my Max Hp so I can pick the most efficient heal spell. So I'm not casting Cure 5 when Cure 2 could have done the job. Or maybe everyone has the right amount missing to cast Cure-All.

It's a not huge deal that will break the game, I never said it was nor am I suggesting any else said it was, but it's still importantuseful to a basic strategy that is in every game; healing.
are you unable to remember basic numbers. like id like to think RPG battles don't really mean anything when it comes to maximum efficiency because it's usually pretty fuckin easy. just look at the main menu once in awhile to keep tabs on the max hp if you're having a problem. this really sounds like WELL ITS LIKE THIS ON PAPER rather than actually considering every single person who played FF, lol like no one brought this up if they didn't like FF.

WHATS THE DEAL WITH NOT SHOWING THE EXACT ALGORITHMS IN THE SKILL DESCRIPTION, GOD I NEED TO KNOW WHAT DOES THE MOST FOR MAXIMUM EFFICIENCY THIS SLIME IS GOING TO RAPE ME
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Link_2112
I heard this said a thousand times before, and I'll say it now; just because some commercial game did something doesn't mean it's a good idea. I didn't like it in FF9 and I will never like it in any game. I wasn't talking about it just for an excuse to say something bad about your game. I see it as a pretty important issue for effective strategy.(LockeZ, back me up on this one! You seem like the kind of guy who would agree with me xD)

Yeah, what you're saying is true. But also, in FF9 when you choose a healing spell it opens up a window that shows both your current and max HP.

I want to say RM2K3 does the same thing, but I'm not 100% sure.

I'd rather have it there all the time, but the fact of the matter is that screen space is limited. If you include max HP you have to delete other info to make room. The three different battle styles are each missing different info. Between max HP, max MP, current MP of characters other than the one whose turn it is, status effects, the ATB gauge, and enemy names, each of the three RM2K3 battle styles is missing at least two pieces of info. Some of these pieces of info are more or less important depending on your game.

Also, this entire page has no screenshots of RMN games. Someone post one.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Everyone is making FFIX now you guys.
author=Max McGee
Everyone is making FFIX now you guys.

everyone didn't have a problem with lack of constant max hp in ff9 is kind of the point...
That was like, what? Ten years ago? ...We know better now.

What does the word "Design" even mean to people? Is just some fancy way of saying "Lumping things together"? Design means there's a thought behind -every- little thing you do. Is the careful balance between form and function. Design does benefit from simplicity, but that doesn't mean you can just do away with random elements and expect the player to memorize stuff, no matter how easy that might be.

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/games/272/screenshots/AAG-Screen2.png
Again, this layout of the DBS is the better option. It doesn't need to be cluttered with numbers. You have your current HP/MP. You have a bar below each one, which is enough of a -visual clue- of your MaxHP/MP. You have your precious ATB bar. You have your facesets which you can decorate any way you want. And you can represent status ailment effects on the battlecharas, like you should always do anyway... Additionally, you can create shitloads of bogus Status Ailments effects to give names to your monsters when you select them with the cursor. But who wants to do that? xP
author=LockeZ
Also, this entire page has no screenshots of RMN games. Someone post one.

haha Can't have a civil discussion with Darken. He's gotta pick some silly example like killing slimes to make a great joke. Yes, let's all just assume RPG battles are simple pointless matters and not show any info at all cause it doesn't matter. I don't hate games as much as you do.

I see what you're saying LockeZ, but examples from other games don't matter because I already said I was thinking of the limits of 2k3(I guess it's natural for it to spill over into all games). With the traditional style of battle, you don't see the max HP value when you are picking a target for a heal spell. If a game can use other methods to display max HP when you need it then this isn't a problem.

Good points, AE :)

I think this discussion should end now u.u It's in the wrong place and is just spinning it's wheels.

@TDS - I remember seeing the video for this. Care to explain a little? What are the bars for, is there any command windows? The windows look a little sterile, only compared to what we usually see. It's not exactly a bad thing. It all looks interesting though.