THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=narcodis
author=SorceressKyrsty
Energy Drinks restore HP while Health Bars restore MP. When I think of Health Bars I think of like, those multi-grain fruit snacks with ANTIOXIDANTS and NUTRIENTS, which I thought was more mentally beneficial than downing 4 energy drinks to keep you awake through the fact you have been shot a few times.
Energy restoring HP
Health restoring MP

It definitely sounds backwards. Would suggest making a change.
Frankly, I would think a health bar containing Protein and Fiber and all that stuff (along with nutrients and antioxidants) would be more beneficial to hit points (the body), while Energy Drinks are more of a superficial "keep-me-awake-and-my-adrenaline-going" sort of thing, which sounds more appropriate for MP (it actually sounds detrimental for the body, i'd say).

just my two cents.

fully agree
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
Not changing.
^Your game so its your call, but your reasoning is flawed atleast in the traditional RPG sense.

Nothing special, I just saw this old picture of the DMS on my old website, looking at the difference, between 07 and now. Good thing I have a CMS in the works to make up for all the random features I used to use switch based skills and items for. :)
HP stands for hit points in my book :<
author=Link_2112
Nice. Is it all custom graphics? *looks at chao* Is this a Sonic spin-off game? xD haha (I kid, please don't blow up at me!)

Yes, it's all custom, made by myself.
No, it's got nothing to do with sonic, although the chaos were the reference for my main characters.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Max McGee
author=narcodis
author=SorceressKyrsty
Energy Drinks restore HP while Health Bars restore MP. When I think of Health Bars I think of like, those multi-grain fruit snacks with ANTIOXIDANTS and NUTRIENTS, which I thought was more mentally beneficial than downing 4 energy drinks to keep you awake through the fact you have been shot a few times.
Energy restoring HP
Health restoring MP

It definitely sounds backwards. Would suggest making a change.
Frankly, I would think a health bar containing Protein and Fiber and all that stuff (along with nutrients and antioxidants) would be more beneficial to hit points (the body), while Energy Drinks are more of a superficial "keep-me-awake-and-my-adrenaline-going" sort of thing, which sounds more appropriate for MP (it actually sounds detrimental for the body, i'd say).

just my two cents.
fully agree

All you people are right, but the mind boggles at this astronomical learning curve.
At one point in your life you had to learn that ether = MP resoration and potion = HP resoration and there isn't much of a good reason behind those either. All you have to do is re-learn some terminology.

Also speaking of FF. In FF7:

Restore Materia:
* Teaches CURE which HEALS YOU.

HEAL MATERIA:
* Teaches Esuna which CURES YOU of status effects.

My point: FF/RPGS =/= logic.

User was warned for this post
Puddor
Additionally the items are eventually replaced by Potions and Ethers so it's not like you have to be frustrated the whole game by 'WHY DO HEALTH BARS RESTORE MP'.

I'm not changing it because of the sheer amount of item events that I didn't make common events because I ish noob that I would have to edit. Which doesn't sound like fun- and quite frankly a waste of time that could be spent doing something else.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
If you distribute them fairly equally, you could simply switch their effects and then have somebody code you a tiny patch that swaps their ids in-game, so that they're still ordered HP above MP.
Puddor
I dunno. It just seems like a small enough issue that I should by all means let it slide. There are more pressing issues- such as figuring out how to draw the battle HUD above animations- than switching Energy Drinks and Health Bars around.
XD But don't you see? You could build your whole plot on this issue! An epic quest to discover the secret truth about why health bars restore MP!

...Seriously though, I agree that its nooot THAT important an issue. If swapping them is tedious and detracts from more productive time, leave it. I don't think it's going to break the game for anybody, especially if they're phased out as you say. Swapping them would be nice, but the issue is about as major as the blood loss from a paper cut. People can learn to reverse their tendencies for healing items, so long as the HP healers appear before the MP healers in the inventory. Proper sorting is FAR more effective in choosing the right item than the item's name. You grow accustomed to where the item is rather than what it's called, and it becomes a reflex.

SCIENCE!
Craze
Gavaroc Fevinor
SCIENCE!

I like how RMN users that use Tellah as their avatar are traditionally intelligent, interesting and helpful.

Yes, that is a Vanguard button; Edifice's re-remake is highly East Asian-inspired remix of, well... EDIFICE as well as my party-swapping hit Diablocide. It's not just East Asian though - it's honestly more a fusion of that and WW1/2 Americana. If, uh, you know, China/Korea/Japan/America were cast into the Netherworld.

More importantly, is the battle screen any better than my last version/good at all?
Craze. What are you doing. Where is Carmilla.

(it looks lovely but if you're using ACE characters doesn't that mean the roster has been dramatically reduced?)

PS: It looks good enough to make me almost like the fact it's front view.

PPS: I agree with large below... The system-set window is the only thing that's sticking out in any bad way visually here.

PPPS: Paladins don't fit into either East Asian or WW1/2 Americana :<

I think it is way too cluttered. I feel like the enemies should be smaller, as well as the faces in the party composition.

Is this a boss battle? Because from the look of the enemies, they seem to be rather unique, and not the "run-o'-the mill slime" you generally find in random encounters.

However, they look superb.

The menu is too... "default". I'd like something kind of different, in a more stylized manner, instead of something so squarish, with a font that modern.

I love the info bar on the top.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=NewBlack
At one point in your life you had to learn that ether = MP resoration and potion = HP resoration and there isn't much of a good reason behind those either. All you have to do is re-learn some terminology.

Also speaking of FF. In FF7:

Restore Materia:
* Teaches CURE which HEALS YOU.

HEAL MATERIA:
* Teaches Esuna which CURES YOU of status effects.

My point: FF/RPGS =/= logic.

It probably doesn't help that in the RPG playground I spend the most time in, HP is and always has been called Health and MP is and always has been called Energy. So seeing Health Bars restore Energy and Energy Drinks restore Health is...yeah. Anyway yeah if it's not worth changing it's not worth changing.

The thing with Cure healing and Heal curing has ALWAYS REALLY BOTHERED ME, okay?
I miss the days of Heal and Healmore...
@Craze: I like it a little more than the last one. You could lower the position of the battlers just a little so that blondie's head doesnt touch the menu. Other than that it looks good.
Craze
NewBlack
Craze. What are you doing. Where is Carmilla.

We addressed this via PM, so, yeah.

Large
I think it is way too cluttered. I feel like the enemies should be smaller, as well as the faces in the party composition.

It's not cluttered, it's busy. "Cluttered" would mean that it had way too many screen elements... this has HP, Soul%, the info bar and the party command menu.

I thought similar thoughts, until I realized that I liked it this way. =P Yeah, it's a little clumped-together, but so is the melee. Also, animations are played direction on the portraits, so making them smaller would still work but not look quite as good imo.

Large
Is this a boss battle? Because from the look of the enemies, they seem to be rather unique, and not the "run-o'-the mill slime" you generally find in random encounters.

Yes. That said, there will hardly be able "run-o'-the-mill slimes" here. There's closer to a 6:1 normal:boss encounter ratio.

Large
The menu is too... "default". I'd like something kind of different, in a more stylized manner, instead of something so squarish, with a font that modern.

We'll see what I can do... maybe, haha. I agree with your point entirely, but whether I'm inclined to act on it is another matter altogether. ;_; That said, I am not going to go BAMBOO AND PAGODAS for everything.

Large
I love the info bar on the top.

Thanks ~

Ashley_Lacure
@Craze: I like it a little more than the last one. You could lower the position of the battlers just a little so that blondie's head doesnt touch the menu. Other than that it looks good.

Or raise the box a little! Probably that instead of making the portraits smaller, but yeah, I need to do one or the other.
author=Craze
I like how RMN users that use Tellah as their avatar are traditionally intelligent, interesting and helpful.

Well thanks, though I'm just a basic psychology nerd. XD I do agree to a point with what you guys were saying, but it really is positioning that's more important than name due to reflex memory telling you where it should be after you use it enough times.

I am curious - are there other Tellah-avatars here? I hope I'm not stealing someone's look. Tellah's sort of become my online logo ever since my Youtube days, what with my username edited into the image and all. I've always liked advising people, so the 'sage' concept stuck.

Anyway, in the efforts of remaining on topic, I do like the image there. While certainly wasting no space, it's not overwhelming. The menu box does clash a little with the rest in my eyes, though.
author=Ashley_Lacure
^Your game so its your call, but your reasoning is flawed atleast in the traditional RPG sense.

Nothing special, I just saw this old picture of the DMS on my old website, looking at the difference, between 07 and now. Good thing I have a CMS in the works to make up for all the random features I used to use switch based skills and items for. :)
Glad the FFIX system set works for you. :)