THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

author=tpasmall
So I attempted to make a destroyed tent, I don't really like how it looks but it's the best I could do. Aside from that, this map is pretty much done though (I think).

These tents make it look 1000x better. I would make at least one more variation of burn marks in the roof of the tent, though. The first and third tents in this shot (left to right) are easily spotted as the same.

Something I have found from experience is that having the same decal/doodad patterns on a map isn't necessarily a bad thing, but keep them at least a screen width apart. Ensuring that the end-user won't see them at the same time. This will reduce the chance that they will notice them, or if they do notice them, highly reduce the amount that they care.
author=prexus
These tents make it look 1000x better. I would make at least one more variation of burn marks in the roof of the tent, though. The first and third tents in this shot (left to right) are easily spotted as the same.

Something I have found from experience is that having the same decal/doodad patterns on a map isn't necessarily a bad thing, but keep them at least a screen width apart. Ensuring that the end-user won't see them at the same time. This will reduce the chance that they will notice them, or if they do notice them, highly reduce the amount that they care.

Yeah, I switched the one on the right with another tent, but I was thinking of making one more "damaged" tent since those are a lot easier to make then the destroyed one. But thanks!
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
ok, here goes, almost the whole town (missing NPCs, etc.):

The trees on the patio outside the Pub don't make much sense. Plus it looks difficult to actually even get to the Pub. I'd remove the trees (one of them is even blocking a table) and the table in the top left so that you can walk straight in.

Also the light-blue roofed house beside the pub has some mapping mistakes with the roof. Same with the light-blue roofed in at the bottom of the screenshot.

I like the way you've grouped the buildings and used different style roofs to distinguish the houses.. Unfortunately, that doesn't make sense from a cultural stance. (Until modern culture, architecture was localized and since building materials were also often localized the structure and decorative style of a house would be largely the same, with more exotic/lavish materials being reserved for high-class residency and government buildings.) That doesn't mean it looks bad. You are making good useful of tiles that weren't designed to be used in the typical RPG Maker town style.
chana
@Prexus : thanks for the feedback, you're right for the tree, as for the light blue roof, I don't know what to make of it, this is the best I could figure out... probably something I didn't understand with the tiles.
I was aware of the akwardness of so many different materials, but, on the other hand, it helped getting that crowded messy feel of a "big" town... maybe if I changed at least the yellow roofs?

I don't think you need to change the colour/style of the roofs at all. It was just a point I was making. You have still made a good, busy looking town.

Can you post the Tileset and perhaps I can help you find the tiles you aren't using properly for the light-blue roofs? I know for a fact that if there is a centre-ribbed roof tile, there should be the appropriate ends for it. Unless they were removed to make room for some of those RTP tiles, I don't know. Seeing the texture pack will help though.
That is an awful tileset.

The bottom of the roof ribbing exists two tiles above the door. Exactly where it should be on your map.

However the tiles available for you to draw the tip of the roof are all wrong. I'm sure someone could do a quick edit for you to get the proper tiles there.
chana
author=prexus
That is an awful tileset.
Glad to have confirmation! (The worse is a incomprehensible passability problem, I expose in Help & Request : "I'm having this weird phenomenon in 2k3"). As for the front tip of the roof (if that's what you mean by "The bottom of the roof ribbing"?), I cut it to fit the back one, I know it doesn't look quite right, but it seemed less akward that way... In any case, thanks, a lot.

(Edit :finally, the passability was a non-issue.)

The protagonist of my game holding a pistol. Cookie for the one that guesses from which game this sprite comes from (This is obviusly an edit btw xD)
Nop :PPPPPPPPPPP Its from a capcom game thought.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Heh, pretty sure that is District Prosecutor Von Karma. The sprite must come from the flashback case in Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations.

...I wouldn't expect him to ever be the protagonist of anything, though!
Perfectly done mapping. Keep doing what you are doing.

Is the RTP character a placeholder?
author=Large
Is the RTP character a placeholder?

Yes, everything else other than the map is not made yet.
author=LockeZ
Heh, pretty sure that is District Prosecutor Von Karma. The sprite must come from the flashback case in Miles Edgeworth: Ace Attorney Investigations.

...I wouldn't expect him to ever be the protagonist of anything, though!

Cookie for you :3

@Shan: That looks pretty sweet. Could you try to upload the pictures in .png format the next time???.jpg make them looks pixelated. But so far the mapping is really good.

WIP Room. Still experimenting with the dinamic lights.
Delete this post please (Pressed Quote instead of Edit)
Happy
Devil's in the details
Looks good other than that the door is too small for your guy and that carpet really sticks out.

And the bookshelf looks too dark when compared to the sprite.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=chana
ok, here goes, almost the whole town (missing NPCs, etc.):

I have problems with some of the roofs, also I think that the floor tile used for some of the patios and courtyards is really ugly and possibly clashing. This map looks like you worked on it a lot, but it doesn't look very good, which is a tough thing to say, but true. I think that the reason I don't like it has more to do with the tileset than the way you actually composed the map. It's also entirely possible it looks a lot better in-engine than screenshotted like this.

@SHAN:
The way you map trees/treelines is very interesting and a bit different from anything I've seen before. I like it a lot.

This is a nice looking screenshot, but that sprite is very tall relative to that tileset, which causes a bit of visual dissonance.