THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

author=Blitzen
There's a mysterious carrot in the corner.

I think that's the cursor.

author=Feldschlacht IV
@psy_wombats

i dont understand

You really, really don't want to, but if you must...
I'm scared to click that...
Oh god... I remember a friend showing me that game.
I usually release something around this time of year.

Some notes:
In fact, I was planning on releasing something more recent. But unfortunately with the game in it’s current unfinished state. I don’t think I’ll be able to. I’ve already posted this video on Meridian Dance and to a couple of other regulars. So you’re probably already familiar with what I’ve been working on. If not then here it is.

To get straight to the point, I’ve never played a decent Final Fantasy fan game, in rpgmaker2003 where the characters actually move like Final Fantasy characters. There’s always something off about them, something that isn’t quite “right” and I wanted to figure out why that is. So, similar to Chrono Uncanny, I thought I’d take a shot at this by recreating a particular scene from Final Fantasy V in rpgmaker2003.

But rather than simply recreate that particular scene, I wanted to expand upon it, as this is what initially made rpgmaker so appealing to so many of us; this idea that you can actually create your own final fantasy game in rpgmaker2003. But can you actually do that?

The short answer is - as many of you already know – “no, you can’t.” and that’s sort of the purpose behind, “Final Fantasy Uncanny: Battle at Big Bridge”, to create a relatively short rpgmaker game that analyzes the limitations of the initial, default resources available in rpgmaker2003.

Already in the video you’ll notice a couple things. Like how the ability “Jump” doesn’t behave like “Jump” normally should or how the battle animation “Fire Scroll” is missing 2 frames of animations. Or like how there isn’t an appropriate water tileset surrounding the bridge during the opening cut scene.

Some of these problems can already be fixed with patches and the like. But what I’m hoping for players and fellow makers to take away from this project is to ask themselves, what type of game was originally intended to be created with rpgmaker2003. Because if we can’t faithfully recreate a final fantasy game, the series that introduced side-view battles, than what type of game are you suppose to make with rpgmaker2003?

Enjoy.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
That looks fantastic LordBlueRouge, it's.. uncanny :p

Not an actual screenshot from the game, just need opinions on the tile. That is a character from DT though.
With as much editing as you're doing, you might as well just draw it from scratch, Tau.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Tau

Not an actual screenshot from the game, just need opinions on the tile. That is a character from DT though.

Hmm, I like the tiles, but you might make that raised area look less awkward by staggering the edge more. Right now it looks too straight.
New menu design. Forgoing the usual route of blue-themed menus and UIs.

The Fire Emblem art will be replaced... one of these days.
My version of Final Fantasy VI's Fanatic's Tower

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
The right one ? looks great.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Looks like the (seemingly naked?) dude on the left is on a drug trip. Or in a land of clashing colors.
Don't mind them, Calunio, it looks rad.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Oh, it's the left one, I really like the background (it is very trippy!).
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
author=Dudesoft
author=Tau

Hmm, I like the tiles, but you might make that raised area look less awkward by staggering the edge more. Right now it looks too straight.
I agree with Dudesoft, that caught my eye right away and is the only thing I see when looking at the image, way too straight!
Otherwise very nice tiles. :)

@calunio- I like it, like chana said, very trippy! I also can see how the colors can clash, but I don't think that's an issue here as I'm sure you're going for a surreal look.

Updated version of this one. I wanted to get away from plain blue and go with more of a slate.

There's still a lot to change, like the cursor, the character graphics, and that annoying comma that doesn't want to show up in the EXP value but is okay with TNL...

Also the way the 'Exp.' text is all squished together, and I'm not even sure I like the icons any more...

At any rate, I've been mostly working on the story (hence the new name) recently. It's going to be a long time until I'm anywhere near happy with it.

I need to start shouting at myself whenever I put things off because they take too long. It shouldn't need to take anyone two days to arrange ripped sprites into an animation image. OTL
I'd remove the icons, have the text left justified, but have it move out to make space for the cursor.

Like...

Bag
Skills
->Equipment
Phone
Status
Config

I like the sleek look, but the Money at the bottom should be more visible, or elsewhere. The text is very small currently and I am not sure if money is important in your game, but if the Main menu is where you'd go to see it, it should be more visible.
author=Tau

The tufts of grass should be slightly darker, or cast some sort of shadow to distinguish them from the mat grass. I'd have no idea it was even there if there wasn't that one piece that overlaps the dirt.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
prexus
The tufts of grass should be slightly darker, or cast some sort of shadow to distinguish them from the mat grass. I'd have no idea it was even there if there wasn't that one piece that overlaps the dirt.

I agree with this. Otherwise, nice edits.

lol rtp gam all rtp iz shite
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I really like that water temple, actually.

I notice no enemies. You actually making a game with random battles, or just haven't placed them yet?