THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It's more like asking you to change goatse to a normal photograph
pfft. A bunch of shallow "I don't like your style" posts trying to redesign themselves as constructive criticism. Mainstreamers casting stones at the fringes.
Noacceptance, just keep doing what you do. Your stuff is off-the-wall bizarre and I'm not a fan personally, but you may find a niche audience if you keep to your ideas. Crazy shit usually does.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=Dyhalto
pfft. A bunch of shallow "I don't like your style" posts trying to redesign themselves as constructive criticism. Mainstreamers casting stones at the fringes.
Noacceptance, just keep doing what you do. Your stuff is off-the-wall bizarre and I'm not a fan personally, but you may find a niche audience if you keep to your ideas. Crazy shit usually does.

Dyhalto dared, I didn't, hat(s) off! and yes, NOACCEPTANCE, I find your "style" rather interesting.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
While it's true I don't like his style, that really has nothing to do with any of the suggestions I posted, which were all technical issues.

Edit: I guess I did also suggest his layout looked really bizarre and uncoordinated, and though that's not a style issue (there really is a right and wrong way to do layout), it's also not purely a technical issue the way palette and mismatched images and distortion are.
author=Dyhalto

I'm sorry, but i just can't agree with your post. I'm sure there is a (very) small audience for stuff that looks like you hit random on google image search and then took the first ten images and put them together. But if you are going to encourage that, you might as well encourage not caring at all that your work meets a certain standard. There are better ways to do surreal stuff than throwing together the first image you can find of something. I would rather help him by stating my honest opinion than false encouraging like you. You even state yourself that you are not very fond of it.

I am going to drop this discussion now since i can feel that it won't be helping anyone, since he/she doesn't seem to care about criticism.
As far as this recent uproar is concerned regarding Noacceptance's screenshot all I can say is while I agree with some of the criticism being brought up, I strongly believe art and beauty for that matter is objective so all I can say is that I fully support your approach and I'd love to see you keep doing what you want how you want. I do think there will be people out there who find it interesting and are fascinated by something that seemingly strays from mainstream standards. Anyways you also have to keep in mind that you did post on a public forum so there is no point getting upset if people don't like your work, whether they are just trying to help or hurt you have to accept that you will get criticized but at the same time you may also find encouragement. Just keep trying to improve your style and you'll get far...keep an open mind and if you feel certain critiques will help your work than take that advice but at the same time don't just listen to everything that comes your way because than you'll just think like everyone else and follow a mainstream standard for art and beauty which may or may not be a good thing. It's all debatable but those are my two cents...keep pushing forward =]
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=NOACCEPTANCE772
I'm making a new game!
The Sword of Babylon(I'm planning on Changing it to Babylon sanctuary or Whore of Babylon)

I think this looks fine, actually it's probably the most appealing screenshot I've seen from you so far. It conveys something. Keep it up, you have a unique style going and that can sometimes be construed as "wrong" but like Lotus said, art is subjective.

Y'know that whole beauty is in the eye of the beholder or something like that.
LockeZ
It's taking all my willpower not to spend the rest of the month debating this point. I should probably mak gam instead of arguing on the internet about whatever existentialist crap I had typed out before I deleted it.

Instead I'll post a screenshot. That seems at least semi-productive.

The door on the left leads to the office of the player character, who is a detective. I went back and added this map, because it felt odd to walk out of your tiny office and instantly be on the city map. Like, surely the building you work in is more than one room, right? I was able to move part of a cut scene here too, to break it up.

It took me forever to think of ways to make a hallway interesting. In the end I probably didn't really succeed, but at least I created a minor homage to an old PC game. Free puppy* if you can tell me which game.

The chair, cleaning supplies, and warning sign are actually cut from photos, with some editing around the edges. Do they look too odd alongside the pixel-art tiles?

*Disclaimer: Puppy comes bundled with phone, cable tv and internet for $200/month
The perspective of the chair and warning sign seem off, but that's more nitpicking than anything. I'm interested to see how the other maps turn out 'o'
@LockeZ - Oh my gosh I love that screenshot! You know I don't usually go for XP games, I have no idea why, but that looks pretty good. The detail you put into it is really amazing, I love the bullet holes in the wall and the handprint on the carpet. Makes it look really gritty and run down.

I guess that you could rip resources from photos but I'd be careful. I can sort of tell what's ripped and what's not, like the chair, the wet floor sign and the bucket/trash can... it's a little inconsistent with the rest of the map

^ I edited a couple of things. One of the biggest giveaways are the edges of the spites, they look really rough and jagged. I cleaned up the edges around two of the sprites for comparison, also I used fewer colors to make it look more like a sprite and less like a picture. Another thing to consider is perspective. These ones don't look too bad, but if you aren't careful misusing photos can really subtract from all of the wonderful details you've put into your maps :)

Just keep that in mind and I'm sure you'll have one of the most visually interesting/unique RPGs on this site :D
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
@lockeZ :your maps are really excellent (I really have to play one of your later games sometimes!).

Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year

Don't worry, the game provides a translation.
Map looks great, and sorry to be harsh but the dialogue is painfully bad. It's hard to take a character who talks like a four year old seriously, even if it's comic relief.
Puddor
He doesn't. It's in context and he only talks like this once.

Have you ever had a young sister/sibling/hyperactive person get all flustered and then explode in incomprehensible very fast ranting? That is what this is meant to convey.

LockeZ
It's the twelve year old boy in full platemail that strikes me as odd, more than anything.
Puddor
Not twelve.

ADULTS DO IT TOO.
I've played Kyrsty's game, so it makes perfect sense to me, haha.

(poor Void...)
LockeZ
Well, I was referring to how his face looks. He looks like a twelve year old boy.

Now, I admit that having twelve year old boys become the most powerful warriors on the planet is a long tradition in RPGs. I just don't expect them to wear full platemail. I expect them to wear asymmetrical colorful outfits with too many buckles. ...I'm just digging myself deeper here.

Also, @Miracle, thanks a bunch!
Puddor
Anime's conveyance of age sucks balls, I will agree with this.

Void's around 18-24. I'm not fully clarifying his age in game, but it's not like he has the build of a 12 year old.
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101

I love this. It's fresh and original.

Hmmm...

I think Miracle explained it pretty well. Those rips from real pictures clash quite a bit. I'd remove them completely.

The perspective is also really off, especially with the thing in the middle (I'm not sure what it is). I think I recall trying your hand at making your own graphics, didn't you? I think those objects would look loads better if you just sprited them yourself although I understand it takes quite a lot of work.

Here's mine: