THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
uh what is this made in? it's really fluid.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
That's libgdx, a platform for mobile games I think.

http://code.google.com/p/libgdx/
author=Ankylo
Define "better". Yes, it is possible to practice and/or be taught how to replicate certain artistic styles. If I want to draw stick figures and stick figures are what I am looking for, how do I become "better" at drawing stick figures?

That is easy to say because most people can't screw up stick figures, but believe me, some people can. I've seen stick figures so bad that you can't tell which part is which. So, at the very least I think the most basic knowledge of anatomy is still needed.

Point is, Itaju's screen still has plenty of room for improvement because you can tell his understanding of anatomy, color theory or dithering techniques are more akin to someone inexperienced rather than to someone with an specific stylistic vision...

I also think that if someone is at a certain skill level and they've already done their best, they should move on and we should accept that. But if this conclusion came to be for other reasons (laziness)(niceness) then we're just encouraging mediocrity.

...Just some random thoughts. xP
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Agreed re: fluidity. I also like how well the DQ/Earthbound-style menu works (especially since it never worked well at all for a full-on RPG).

I hope to see it out of the testbed and into the, uh... fire? Post-production? idek
@Bandito To be honest, I wasn't able to tell it was a mountain until you said it was. Maybe it would help to show the horizon or lower portions of the mountain.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Hey, dhm, that's excellent.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
I see a multiplayer option. Does that mean libgdx supports netplay?
author=Alichains
@Bandito To be honest, I wasn't able to tell it was a mountain until you said it was. Maybe it would help to show the horizon or lower portions of the mountain.
Maybe you are right I was thinking about that but I wanted to show how it would like from that perspective. Maybe put some small trees would help maybe...but then it wouldn't made sense in a desert because in this case this desert is called a wasteland for a reason.

Maybe some small cacti or something I will update it later...

EDIT: This doesn't fit what I am trying to show, but I will use it as template to show if I understood what you meant...

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
The ground they're on is still sort of weirdly vertical, but I think a background like that would look much better.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I like that - now you can see clearly that it's the top of a high ledge, because of the stone cliffs underneath. There's a random sand tile in the air above the heroes, though. :)
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Better! maybe take off the rocky parts on top and on the left.
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
What chana said. Those really throw off the perspective.
author=LockeZ
I like that - now you can see clearly that it's the top of a high ledge, because of the stone cliffs underneath. There's a random sand tile in the air above the heroes, though. :)
I noticed that when I uploaded the photo LOL...

Oh those rocky stuff, I put it there because I don't like how boxy VX feels. If I take it out it would look like this:

LockeZ
Yes, that is definitely worse, lol. I see why you did it now.

There might be a way you can arrange the land on the map to minimize the problem. The diagonal rocks aren't bad-looking when there are only a few of them, but you have so many corners on the northwest side of the ledge that they cover the entire edge of the cliff, creating a sort of border of rocks around it.
Oh I see, I just wanted to to make it look hum like a ledge?

Actually that ledge was longer, the picture I had just show part of it. I cut it so people could see what the heck I was doing.
author=ankylo
But just outright calling it awful is just plain ignorant.

Hardly.

I don't have to go into detail to post here. It's probably preferred but what'cha gonna do? If I want to call it awful, I will, and the author will know that someone doesn't like the "style".
@Bandito I don't really like the background that's being used. It doesn't look at all what looking down on a desert from a mountain peak should look like. That said, it does look like it's supposed to be a mountain.
@Bandito

I see the effect you're trying to go for with your mountain 'ledge', but the problem is, just doing diagonal tiles like that, won't show depth. I created this shot real quick as a suggestion on how you might modify yours a little bit to give it more of a natural look.

Now, its not a great screenshot by any means, but do you see the way I used ramps and shadows to give the illusion of increasing height? This not only takes away from some of the blockiness of the auto-tiles but also helps clearly define where the changes in elevation are.

Just my two cents though.
Part of a small forest showing the first sightings of the "D-Seeds" which corrupt the creatures in the area. What do you guys think?