THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

There is something that feels incredibly wrong about that "tower" in the second map... :-?

Anybody has tips for creating a modern building's exterior? :P
meisam
meisam your not using semicolon properly, and that's a laughing matter.
oh yes you are correct, dose it feel right this time?
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I think the problem is that you're trying to center it from the roof down instead of from the ground up. If this were designed to scale in a panoramic view, that would be one thing, but it's the same sized tiles thrown on top of each other. I would suggest just making the base of the watchtower look good in its own map and then make a secondary map for the roof with a sky panorama or a field in the background or something.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
@mei: It does look a teensy bit odd that there's a row or two of the same tiles up against each other, despite there being a height difference.

the conclusion to my epic adventures of programmatic word-wrap

author=LockeZ
how does that computer get electricity!

It's the mysterious tablet in 2001 Space Odyssey.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@meisam: at least add shadows on the rooftops where there should be shadows of the higher tower floors. This'll help add some shape to the roof and keep it from blending together even though it's the same tiles.

It basically looks nothing like a watchtower though but whatever it's an okay first try. I would have made it look more like the small one on the world map.
meisam
@Corfaisus well to be honest i didn't quite understand what do you mean, this watch tower designed to get smaller per floor, i did a stupid mistake and didn't count the tiles, so a 10 tile become a 7 tile and then become a 2 tile. i changed that and added the shadows :), i guess i use it as a wood fort or something.

let me know if, it doesn't make sense :).

@LockeZ: you are right, i am not sure how to make a watchtower, i find 1 tile that look like worldmap watchtower, and used it :). its very important for me that world map and exterior maps look connected, but i guess it goes the other way.
here's another try :S, it seems the answer was easier than i thought.

many thanks guys, i am learning a lot, in these days :).
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That honestly looks fine. You could put that watch tower next to the building if you wanted it to be more of an outpost instead of a lone tower. (I'd probably only make the building two stories tall in that case, so that the tower is the highest thing)
meisam
yes its more of an outpost rather than a lone watchtower.

there will be an event, that player must gather some information about a monster and i don't like to force the player to climb the tower.
thanks again :).

och, it seems the wood fort(so called watchtower ) have another shadow problem.
I kinda need help with creating a hospital room. I am not sure what else to add here. :P

meisam
hmm what this room will be used for? is it a patient room?
generally a hospital shouldn't have too many free space, well except you are making a 6 star hospital :)
by making a smaller room everything fit and you will not have problem regarding filling the place.
consider changing the layout of the room. two small room connected with a corridor?
LockeZ
Every hospital room I've ever seen has looked more like this:

Sometimes they have multiple beds for two or three patients to share a room; those would be about twice as big. Sometimes they have their own bathroom near the entrance; it's a really small bathroom though, maybe one tile. Sometimes you have a big fancy machine by your bed instead of just an IV drip.
Yikes... That is way too small. :O It needs to be big enough for one person to stay in bed, and other people to stand around. I am trying to make it looks fancy with enough comforts for someone to stay in at least a few days. That's why I put in lockers, cabinets, a table, and a sink. :D

It's kinda like this, skip to 2:57.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTnELlynVa8
meisam
plants, bookshelf, tea put, pictures. there are a lot of things, with such a big room you can go for rich settings. even an automaton nurse (well if you have the spirit), more furniture, or you can add a living room, for someone who stay with patient.
How is this? It feels a bit weird to me, for some reason. :P

Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
The video you linked is very different because of perspective. Without getting into this too much (I know it'll happen anyway but eh), that isometric perspective allows the player to see two walls instead of just one, and these can be given a much higher level of detail so there isn't as much need to fill the floors.. in other words, the eye is entertained by those two walls instead of clutter on the floor.

It also helps that the sprites are huge by comparison to VX Ace, so they need larger room to walk around.

Oh, and I think the mapping in the video's room could be cut down to a way smaller size anyway. Go with something like LockeZ's suggestion, and if you need something bigger than that only give yourself as much room as you need. Public hospitals are never frivolous with space; they need room to get as many patients in as possible.
meisam
the desk is a part of office, the table is more suited for a dining room, the chair should be in the desk by using an event.

i fear i am misdirecting you, rather than helping :S
Brady
Was Built From Pixels Up
Not to mention that in the video, the bed is also much larger and takes up some empty space as well, whereas in your screeny, the bed is teenty-totie and isn't nearly dominant enough considering that it's the primary attraction in the room.

You can make one like LockeZ's, only slightly larger so it has enough room for a crowd, while still making it far, far smaller than your screenies.

Thing is, small maps don't leave much space for errors or weirdnesses; people see a small map and immediately see it all, accept it, know what it is and don't complain. Large maps contain so much more space and filler-material that the margin for error plummets and suddenly you have people looking at it thinking it looks "just a bit off", no matter how many times you change it.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
That's a beautifully accurate hospital room, LockeZ.