THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Decky
I'm a dog pirate

(added a couple more)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Erave

A few shots from an upcoming commercial project I am working on with Fighter (Channel Changer, Last Legend), Lun (The Way), and Doppleganger (Whack a Food) all veterans of the old 2003-2006 GW saga.

Your mapping is kind of boring, and I can't stand that your characters are so short that the tables and counters are at eye level with them, but that boss slime is fantastic and if you're making an entire game's worth of custom graphics then it's hard for complaints about the 8-bit style to hold much weight. The graphics are very consistent and attractive for what they are; I just would be happy if I never saw another RPG in my life with these stupid chibi proportions. It's really hard to take the game seriously when you go so far out of your way to make it look so stupid. But it looks amazingly stupid in a really pretty way, so there's that.
author=Erave
*Erave Screenshots*

Good to see you Erave!

Nothing is really WRONG with it; but it all just seems a bit generic (what with the slime monsters and all)

The mapping is fine though, I don't understand what LockeZ is talking about. Since we're all sharing commercial stuffs here's my commercial stuffs.

Nice 'shots, nightblade. really pretty and atmospheric. except for the stupid chibi sprites. What is this, baby's first dark adventure? DURRRRR *hits arm against chest several times* Hahaha, but no, really, it looks good. Except for the sprites, which are not only retarded, but also gay. Other than that I think it would be really interesting to explore an environment like that. When I'm not rolling my eyes, that is.
Hey Nightblade! Nice shots. What are you developing this in?

LockeZ, It's just a style to keep things consistent. Doppleganger is spriting all the graphics himself and they are amazing. Lun C (The Way), has written a brilliant script and story. I have composed a 30+ track score which I am quite proud of. I think you guys will dig this. I'll have more information on it soon!

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
calling your own game's graphics amazing is pretty conceited but whatever
author=LockeZ
calling your own game's graphics amazing is pretty conceited but whatever

Hey I didn't make them, so I feel I can be unbiased. Doppleganger has a lot of experience in the business (ya know, not making Final Fantasy Fan games) and we were just lucky he agreed to be a part of this.

Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
it's best not to show any respect or admiration for your development team's efforts. that's the kind of charisma that makes a project truly flourish
What's with the hostility on this page?? *_* Erave's team game looks fine for what it is. I see a very traditional looking RPG, maybe a little too traditional, but there are people who like to play those kinds of games.

Calling it stupid just isn't very constructive though...
LockeZ
Well, I wasn't trying to be hostile, I was just giving some feedback. I listed things I did and didn't like about it. I think his screenshots show very generic maps and were made with a style of graphics I personally dislike, but from a pixel art standpoint they're extremely well done. The art is really good, the content is just lackluster. The town appears to have nothing special about it, and the inside of the building is laid out in a pretty illogical manner the way a novice mapper would make a building if they forgot they weren't making a cave and had never really thought about how walls in buildings work. I can tell that the point of the screenshots is to show off your tilesets and sprites - and despite my personal distaste for the chibi style, they're really nice, so I can understand why you want to show them off. But the best artist in the world could draw a slime boss named SlimeBoss performing a normal attack and it would still look like a fight I've fought a thousand times.
Not to derail anymore, but I appreciate the comments everyone. LockeZ, it's definitely in the spirit of an older era, but we aim to deliver in that style as well as we can and leave room for creativity and our own take on the genre.

Ok, now you guys post your stuff!

Edit: shit, sorry to derail further

It's cool, no worries. I do programming for the game Erave posted, and I can see where you're coming from. However, I've noticed in the App Store, Steam, etc. that so many RPGs are so afraid of being generic or criticized that every game is unique or tries to mix things up significantly. Which is good, of course.
But sometimes, I just want to play a generic, straightforward, vanilla jRPG that is well crafted. Unless I'm not looking in the right places, I haven't found too many indie-ish game that fit that mold... other than, say, Last Scenario. I'm not really interested in making something mindblowing or revolutionary personally, just a nostalgic and colorful adventure.
LockeZ
Nah, you ain't derailin'. This is what the topic's for. Posting screenshots and arguing about them.

Seriously consider making the building's walls be in the shape of a building's walls, at least. No building in the world is shaped like that. The wall between the left room and the right room is as thick as an entire room, which is sort of crazy and is what makes me say you forgot you weren't making a cave. Rooms in buildings are separated by walls, not by empty void zones surrounded by walls. And the shape of the left room has a bunch of very bizarre small zigzags in it - rooms are typically either rectangular or L-shaped, so that the entire building will end up as something vaguely, um, building-shaped. I assume the building is meant to be rectangular, if it's using the same graphics outside as your other buildings you have in that outdoor town screenshot.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
you guys could always criticize my RTP maps. easy pickings.

ive been in the community 4 7 years and im still using rtp

This took 150 days and thousands of hours to make.
LockeZ
author=Deckiller
you guys could always criticize my RTP maps. easy pickings.

ive been in the community 4 7 years and im still using rtp
I would feel bad, it would be like challenging a toddler to an MMA match.

No but seriously don't use the VX Ace tree canopy or the trees that are meant to go under it under any circumstances. But you already know that, so it seems redundant to point it out. And if you are gonna use them, figure out a better way to do the shadows for them.

author=Arandomgamemaker
This took 150 days and thousands of hours to make.
I assume you mean just the title screen, and not the whole game. I can easily see this image taking the better part of a year to produce for someone less dedicated, I'm impressed you finished it faster than that.

Oh my god the kerning on "Prologue". It is almost perfect. Just move the second "o" up one pixel so it's hovering awkwardly above the underline.

(You should probably use a 16-bit font for the message box...? I recommend the Mr. Saturn font. You can download it from the Game Font Database. It was stretched improperly before being submitted and doesn't really look correctly 16-bit at any size, which should be perfect.)
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=LockeZ
No but seriously don't use the VX Ace tree canopy or the trees that are meant to go under it under any circumstances.

I'm a stubborn bastard who seems to like using those.

(Not really; I just prefer them more than using a repeated pattern of those fat trees. I like them about as much as you like them.)

Thank you LockeZ for your life changing advice. My title screen is now amazing.

In all seriousness, I think I'm going to keep the floating o.
Stuff I'm doing for my RM Venture.