THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

author=LockeZ
I would feel bad, it would be like challenging a toddler to an MMA match.

No but seriously don't use the VX Ace tree canopy or the trees that are meant to go under it under any circumstances. But you already know that, so it seems redundant to point it out. And if you are gonna use them, figure out a better way to do the shadows for them.

I'm not a good listener.

Sorry, not sorry. I like 'em.

And yeah, old map but I like to refute when people say "Don't use these RTP tiles because... " I'm ornery like that. Skills should be the basis of whether to use something or not. Not the actual something (unless it's incredibly terrible, which the RTP isn't.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That map really does an excellent job of distracting you from how terrible the trees are. (The dark tint helps too, it makes the black behind them fit better since the other shadows are also black)
It's all in how you use it~ They aren't that bad. Granted, they aren't as great as Mack's 2k/3 or even VX versions but they're not completely horrible.

That one's a new, still WIP map.

I think my main gripe with them is that they're not rounded like with the 2k/3 version. And since the tops were on the top layer of the 2k3 ones it was possible for you to do a lot more experimentally with them. I might actually do some edits with the default ones at some point. I've been meaning to change them up a bit. Also the trunks, though the issue there is that it's hard to get a proper repeat going on in the background for them since the way autotiles are set-up in VX/Ace are a bit annoying. :/

(I'd actually consider just moving the whole tile to the top layer and get rid of the green at the bottom and make the black a dark shadow. That way you could have grass under them so you don't get that annoying cut-off and put shit behind them like, oh, scrub and the like, without worrying that it won't tile properly. Of course, it'd be set at how high you make them but then, I never really go over two tiles high for them anyway. ...Yeah, I might actually do that.)
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
I just don't like the shadow on them. But sometimes IDGAF and avoid trying to disguise them. Why not.

Also I need to start color swapping RTP like you. Adds much more character.

Working on the opening sequence of my game. Does anyone know how to insert auto-scrolling for the text? (I never really needed it, that's why I have no clue.) I would like to implement it for this scene, since the little bobbing heart and the player input aren't exactly what I want for the opening. The text wouldn't scroll too fast, of course - and since the game will feature voice acting, anybody would be able to hear what the character has to say in this scene.

Edit: Changed the lighting in Hisao's Hospital Room. The light sources are still missing and the room isn't done just yet - but the light switch works, at least. Which is a huge thing considering how important the light switches are for the game. =)

RAVE PARTY!!!111
Begriff- unless those light sources are going to be literal spotlights, you want to soften up the overlays edges. Way too hard of a circle.

Also you never fixed the midget table *shakes head in disappointment*

Make those tables legs (and bed legs, and lockers, and the door)taller ,son.
Thatsan easy fix that will make your map look better.

Personally I'd worry about the maps construction(including all items and light sources) BEFORE adding overlays.
@Dookie: As I said, the room isn't done just yet. Didn't have the time to fix the midget table etc. - and I don't really want to sprite little things like that when my ankle is hurt. Can't write since last week. Midget table has to wait. =)

The locker will stay that way, the bed too, but the door is just a placeholder and midget table will change.

Well, I already know how the map should look in the end, including light sources. Just wasn't able to sprite them just yet. That doesn't mean that I can't test out a few things. But I will surely soften those light circles. That's one thing I will do right away. It's not difficult to put a few circles here and there, but basically everything that is a bit more challenging than that is impossible right now. It took me half an eternity to type these few sentences already. ._.

PS: I'm a girl. =)
It's more or less the same length. Maybe a bit shorter - but I have no idea how big I should make it. I could make it a few pixels longer, that's no problem. But the whole screenshot was supposed to show the light effect - not the fact that the complete map is still a big mess. I stated that already. And I know that there's still a lot of stuff to do. :)
Begriff your excuses are lame, I'm sorry to say.

I did this in 5 seconds. (The colors are off cause your overlay was on the image but just to show you how little effort resizing takes)

maybe they arent perfect size either, but the point is EXCUSES DON'T PRODUCE IT.
Stop frigging around with the lighting effects when you have GLARING map issues.
Do lighting last.

You can pour dressing and spices all over this dish but if the meat isnt cooked its still going to taste like shit.

Should I send you an image of how my hand looks, then? Will you then believe me that hey, I don't do crap when my hand is a freaking mess. Two days ago I couldn't even move my computer mouse.

First thing first: It's my first time creating my own tiles from scratch - so of course they won't be perfect. I try to change everything based on the critic I got when I have time and when I WANT to. It's not about not doing anything to make it look better. I'll change it. But it's my own friggin' choice WHEN I will do it. I wanted to make the lighting effects better. So I did just that. If the outcome, the end result of it all is the same then it should not matter when someone did what.

Make your tiles first. Patch everything up. That's your right and I have nothing against it. But if I like to do it the other way around, then that's my own damn right. I make my stuff when I have fun doing it. Not when someone else tells me to.
Look, no one cares whats physically holding you back, we only care about results.
You were well enough to make these posts and screencap your map and add spotlights, i think you could edit a few tiles.

When building a house, there's a reason a foundation is constructed before people start decorating. Which is what you're doing. These new "improved" lighting effects look worse than before, and do nothing to improve the map or scene.

I commend you for making your own tiles, but its clear you didnt have a scale in mind when making them. Maybe the easiest answer here would be to shrink the sprite. That way you wont have to re edit all of your chipsets.

The truth hurts. Stop making excuses left and right and fix your map.

plus you said it was your ankle..
Being hurt isn't an excuse to have poor development practices.
I'm not being hurt. If I were, then I would not post in this thread anymore. The thing is: I come around and use the advice people give me. But WHEN I will change that is my own choice. It's not about IF I change it but simply WHEN. Not if. WHEN. And if I say to myself "Hey, let's do the lighting now and sprite the tiles next weekend." then that's my own damn choice.

If I want to show off the new lighting effects I inserted, then I might as well do that. Doesn't mean that the entire map is done. I always thought a Screenshot thread would be about progress, not about: You do what we say when we say it. No. I do it when I have fun doing it. And I don't always have fun spriting. Sometimes I just want to do other stuff - and if that stuff is lighting effects, then so be it. :)

The ankle thing: I thought the ankle was part of the hand? Look, English isn't my native language, so I'm sorry for that. Anyway, I hurt my hand/part of my hand some time ago. That's it.
Without taking a side, if you were looking for comments specifically on the lighting, you should have probably said as much. Your post mentions updated lighting, but not asking for comments specifically on it, which is probably why there's a focus on things besides it.

And the word you're probably looking for is wrist (assumption - they serve approximately the same purpose as the ankle on the foot).
My main focus was another one entirely - the opening sequence. And nobody even mentioned that. If someone misunderstood me, then I'm sorry. But when I state that the map isn't done yet, then I can at least expect people to think that maybe, just maybe, there is stuff that will be changed later on. I never stated that I would throw all of the advice out the window, after all.

Ah, yes, that's it. Thank you. :)