THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Last area that I'm working on. Yes, it's big. No, it's not going to change, except for maybe narrowing the pathways. Trying to make a mini-maze out of this area (you start on the upper left and need to get to upper right, and then back again during the escape sequence while being chased by the boss that will kill you if she catches you). Not as easy as it seems for some reason...it's still a prototype, as the grass tiles will be more varied and other stuff will be there too. Once this map is done, that's it for this dungeon! Well, until I do the second half, which is just a door maze and whatnot. I'm excited to finally getting closer to getting the patch out!...Only to realize I still got things I want to remap still. This game ain't never gonna get done if I don't move forward with the actual game but...arrrrrrgh! >_<
Xenomic:

I like it, somehow... : )
I guess it's good. Are the walls 'trees' ?

CashmereCat:

Interesting - it is set in a school, huh?
Believe it or not, the walls are actually supposed to be bamboo. It looks like this in the actual Bamboo Forest of the Lost (since there's no actual good way to show bamboo I fear...this is the best I got...).
I see - well the pic is a bit too small to see the details here : ) But I can use my imagination ^^

Maybe you can add some .. cut-down bamboo trunks ( like, cut down with a katana so they are friggin' sharp and pointy XD ) or young bamboo as obstacles, too. ; )
@Xenomoc: If you try a maze-like approach I would make the way down the house a bit less straight. At the moment there is one clear path with a few paths that "grow away" from it. But that makes it kinda obvious where to go. I think it would be good to make it a bit more snake-like. (God I'm terrible at explaining this.)
Yeah, that's the hard part lol. I've dealt with these kinds of mazes before, but dealing with it in such a manner that it's still maze-like without it ending up like it is is...a thing to say the least. I'm kinda terribad at making mazes without making them annoying or not very maze-like at all. ^^;;

I'll at least try and finish this map BEFORE trying to change the way it looks, just so that there's something there to work with. ^^;

EDIT - Finished version of the previous map. Takes about 2 minutes to run through without any wandering enemies. It's meant mostly for the escape sequence, but since the AI following you is dumb in 2k3, it doesn't really do much...except get stuck on walls. Gotta find a way to make that AI more dangerous somehow (note: If the boss catches you, that's pretty much a game over as you can't win against her, and that's why you're escaping in the first place, because she's going to destroy the mansion in 10 minutes).

Now that's lookin' slick. Well done!
@Xenomic: Wow, that's looking pretty great now! I think a few branches or little stones would make the chase sequence even greater (Like, you need to interact with a branch to put it away which takes a few seconds or something.) but your maps really improved! :D
Looking great! ^^ Sure it's going to be exciting.

Ah, the sweet maddening mix of ascii. So far my side-questing game is growing pretty decently.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
@facesforce That looks beautiful. I really want to play it right now, I do. It looks like a game I used to play called ADOM, and that's a good thing, trust me. Also I hope that there's as much side quests as you make it seem, because I love side quests, that's just my personality.

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
@Xenomic- Great layout and design, looks fun to explore while not punishing the player for going off and looking, seeing how there are a different paths that lead to and back to places.

As for the 2k3 AI problem, I don't have an actual solution to make them smarter but what about have "invisible" pathways through some parts of the forest/canopy that they can go through, but make it to where you can't obviously.

Kinda like they just burst out the trees nearby or behind you. Maybe not too many, since the goal is to not be caught if at all possible, but enough where they can catch up quickly if they do get stuck.
Hmm....that'd be interesting to do. Though how to handle the coding for that would be another beast entirely. @_@;;
It actually wouldn't be that hard at all. You'd just need either some tiles that are copies and set to above hero or copied tiles set in a character set that is then used in events above the hero. The second option allows you to add a little more customisation, say the canopy disappearing once you've found the magic spot or turning transparent so there's still a canopy above, but you can see the hero and ground below as well.

It actually looks pretty effective when done well (check Everlasting Journey for a quick example that just leapt into my head. There's one done in the very first dungeon. Also, it's a fun/funny game.)
Hmm...I'm imagining that in my head for the second option, and that would be pretty neat to see. Would also make more use of the whole hidden pathways thing that I'm trying to implement a bit more into the game. Though making that so ONLY the AI (aka the boss in this case) can go through there and not the hero is what I think is going to be hard. Especially since I'm trying to make up for the poor AI (even with moving the party closer to where the AI spawns and having it set to 8 Speed, it's still dumb and wants to run into walls. Blaaaaah...).
CashmereCat
I made some little maps for a school sim I'm making in two weeks. Well actually, the library is too fricking huge but here they are:

@CashmereCat
You mentioned that was a community game, right?
So don't forget me, or there will be blood...

Just kidding...No T'm not...
@CashmereCat
Actually, I am a rather active member in the rougelike communinity online. It's where I went after leaving RMN for a while, and I wanted to make it resemple ADOM in many ways~ So thanks! That is the excat style I am going for.

Your school is quite massive. My dear goodness, but it is well mapped. Looking good so far!
CashmereCat
author=JJJ7
@CashmereCat
You mentioned that was a community game, right?
So don't forget me, or there will be blood...

Just kidding...No T'm not...

Didn't forget ya. Although there are so many users on this site, everyone's role might be minimal lol. By the way, if you want to be included in the game, just PM me and I'll make you an NPC.

Pleas let me know what you think of this?