THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

author=karins_soulkeeper
I don't use random encounters, so I never really noticed this.
Do you know why this is the case, though, Liberty?

There's a bug or something in the script. In another topic recently someone talked about the reason and added a fix for it. I think it was a topic about How to make Random Encounters Welcome? You'll find more info about it there.
I apologize, if I disturbed you guys by posting too many screenshots in here.

Liberty, I have looked in the "Mack" tileset you mentioned. I found numerous example images and even the tileset on this forum for download. So I downloaded that and am trying to make the tiles fit more exactly to the back of the roof (straight part), but I can't seem to make it work like in the examples.

Any hints tips on making a tileset like this?
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Liberty
author=karins_soulkeeper
There's a bug or something in the script. In another topic recently someone talked about the reason and added a fix for it. I think it was a topic about How to make Random Encounters Welcome? You'll find more info about it there.

It's here, for the lazy people who don't feel like searching.

author=chaosvine
Any hints tips on making a tileset like this?

You might get more success posting in the Creative Corner about this. I know there's a lot of pixel artists there that may not be reading the screenshot topic.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I'm trying to make a game where I only use the Samurai tileset.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Liberty
author=karins_soulkeeper
It's not a bug, it's just how the system works in RPG Maker XP and lower. If you set the encounter rate to 80, that's not "every 80 steps". It's "1 in 80 chance every step". Which actually averages out to a battle every 55 steps, and leaves open the 1.2% chance to get in a battle two steps in a row.

I did help Xenomic code a system so that random encounters are turned off for the first 10 steps after every battle. Which is actually pretty easy to code even in RM2K3. You can just change the map's encounter rate to 0 any time the player gains XP, and start counting steps, and change it back after 10 steps. If every map has the same encounter rate, it can even be a common event. This also makes it so you won't get in a random battle the next 10 steps after an event battle, if your game happens to use both on the same map sometimes.
I was talking about in VX and Ace as well, LockeZ. The system has the same issues in those engines. ;p It's still a flaw and oddly, more often than not, people tend to get under ten step encounters, no matter the number it's set to. (Hence why I evented my own system using variables. It's not as hard to do as it may sound. Or, you know, edit the script itself that deals with encounters if you know how to.)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Man, I kinda thought they fixed it in Ace. I think I just convinced myself that if I believed hard enough, it would become true.

Aside from the system being dumb, a secondary problem is that people don't understand how math works. They think that if they set the chance of an encounter to 1/20 per step, that it will take 20 steps to get in a battle on average. But a 1/20 chance per step actually results in most players getting in a battle by the 14th step.

(19/20) ^ 13.5 is equal to 0.5, so if you have a 19 out of 20 chance per step to not get in a battle, then after 13.5 steps, you have a 50% chance to have not gotten in a battle.

Math, motherfuckers.

Edit: As a general rule, set the chance per step to about one and a half times the number of steps you want it to take to get in a battle. So if you want a battle every 20 steps, set the chance to 30. This isn't exact, but it's a very good estimate.

In RMXP, VX, and Ace, it uses different math, which I believe simply halves the encounter rate compared to RM2K3. So you should set the chance of a battle to 3/4 of the number of steps you want it to take. Set the encounter rate to 15 and get a battle every 20 steps on average. (Someone can correct me if I'm wrong - it looks like the people writing the RGSS tried to make it more complicated, but messed it up.)
"make_encounter_count isn't redone every step. It's only when an encounter occurs, when you get off a vehicle, when encounters are reenabled, when a map loads, and when the player is given a new X/Y such as a transfer event, swapping events, or any instruction under the 'move event' event command. If you want to test this just slap a print in the make_encounter_count to see when it is called.

The code for generating the steps to another random encounter is rand(steps) + rand(steps) + 1 and if those rand(x) roll zero then you have an encounter after one step."

That's the way Ace is set up. So n is the number you put in. If you put 30, it'll give you a random number anywhere between 1-60. The +1 is to make sure that if a 0 is rolled there will at least be a battle eventually to re-roll the numbers (in this case, one-step battle). Changing the 1 to another number should work. Hell, you could put it as a set number or pick a random number between two if you like, too. Nothing says you have to have it depend on the 'n' or that you can't just have 'n' be the number of steps.

Uh, Game Objects > Game_Player > line 192 is where to find this info, by the way.

(Another way to handle encounters is to set them by region then just have smatterings of regions around choke points and set the number lower so there's more chances.)

For example. But imagine that orange is actually no-encounters and yellow and red are set to 15. Smaller, more concise choke-point battles.
LockeZ
Oh, so the encounter rate is actually an accurate number of steps per battle then in Ace. That's nice, at least. I was staring at that code trying to figure out what the hell was going on, it really looked like it was just bugged.

Anyway, too much talk about mechanics for this topic.

I've been working on reviving an old game I made called Flower Bubble Game!!! for RM2K. It basically just needs to have its one giant 320x250 map redone in the cutesy pastel Sword of Mana tileset, a process which I started and then abandoned a year or so ago. I decided last week that it needed to be finished, so I worked a few hours on it before getting sick of it again.

Not sure if this'll turn into a completed game or not. It wouldn't be much work to finish, but the game isn't really worth it.
@LockeZ: Huh. That's pretty cute looking. I also like that character's sprite too. Pretty nice tileset too o_o

So, I continued the dungeon more. Added a couple things to the tilesets (the angel statue and the crystal statue, as well as the teleporter graphic and save point graphic), and am taking the original idea from Sealed Cave and applying it here. In fact...when I stop to think about it, this dungeon is very reminiscent of FFIII's World of Darkness, and since it's like that, it's going to BE like that. So there's 5 teleporters in the start. 4 teleporters to separate areas, each where the player has to traverse the areas to get to the end and activate a switch (and probably fighting a miniboss there), and then they can go through the main teleporter itself. Whether or not the Yumeko boss fight will happen in THIS area or in the Pandaemonium Palace area, I don't know yet. Probably the Palace area.

So yeah! That's what I got. It's a rather simple tileset, and a rather simple dungeon with a simple gimmick. Despite this dungeon SUPPOSING to be one of the mroe grander/epic moments for beta5 (the last one being at the end of beta5, but I have yet to figure out what to even do with that dungeon...). Yes, this map is a bit big (60x60), but it'll still work out in the end.
SunflowerGames
You can change how encounters work, even though this isn't the topic for it, by going to Game_Player line 195.

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# * Create Encounter Count
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
def make_encounter_count
n = $game_map.encounter_step
@encounter_count = 30
end

Here I have removed any random possibilities. You can also make it = to $game_map.encounter_step if your maps have different rates.
author=Liberty
That's the way Ace is set up. So n is the number you put in. If you put 30, it'll give you a random number anywhere between 1-60. The +1 is to make sure that if a 0 is rolled there will at least be a battle eventually to re-roll the numbers (in this case, one-step battle). Changing the 1 to another number should work. Hell, you could put it as a set number or pick a random number between two if you like, too. Nothing says you have to have it depend on the 'n' or that you can't just have 'n' be the number of steps.

Uh, Game Objects > Game_Player > line 192 is where to find this info, by the way.

Yeah...
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
author=kory_toombs
I'm trying to make a game where I only use the Samurai tileset.

One thing I would recommend is extending the length of the lower walls that meet up with the cliff by two tiles so that they actually appear to stop at the face of the cliff. Also, there are numerous height inconsistencies with the cliff itself that you should address.

EDIT: There's also an autotile shadow in the grass at the top of the cliff that you should do something to cover up.
LockeZ
kory_toombs, that's a lot of very perfectly aligned rows and columns of trees, I would not do the trees that way. Make them a lot more uneven. You don't actually need to block off that region, so there's no need to put a tree on every single tile.

The trees outside of the wall seem fine. Try to take what you're doing out there, and do it about three times as densely inside the town walls.
Just found yet another old version of NL that used to be here on RMN. Have some screencaps:

Gotta be honest, I'm thinking about making another game with these assets now. Feeling so damn nostalgic for those bygone times.
SunflowerGames

LockeZ: that's a good idea. I started mapping a forest outside the village and realized that clustering the trees like that didn't look natural. I will try to give a more rounded look and maybe put some paths in the trees.

I also notcied that shading after posting that picture up here.
awesome screenies as always. nice work guys ♥
If anyone remembers my ascii rmvx project, it is slowly growing organically~
This is a screenshot of a crashed space ship with the dazed engineer trying to figure out what happened, in the middle of a canyon wall in a desert next to a portal.
Yup. Ascii requires some imagination.

Should I change any of the tileset, or does it look like it will work?
Remember, it is supposed to look like a pseudo-ascii style(The brick-walls I made betray this a little, but they work well in my eyes.
@facesforce: That's really hard to keep up with. Unique aye, but really hard to keep up with o_o;;

I feel like I shouldn't post this but I'm going to anyways. This is the ONLY map of this dungeon (there's 3 other maps, but they're super tiny maps, 20x15 or around that size). Right now, this is 100x78, no gimmicks to the dungeon. There ARE random encounters here, with the same enemy type, but each enemy type having a different set of attacks from one another (despite them using the same sprite). The boss is frequently seen in these random encounters, but she flees pretty early on in the fight (this boss is meant to have THE most HP in the game right now, a whopping 200,000 HP due to 4 separate phases. We'll see if that's far too much, or what. Most bosses generally have around 50,000-70,000 HP by this point IIRC. Yes, HP gets pretty high in this game for enemies/bosses). It's still a beta right now (the only path fully mapped out is the proper correct path), so yeah...there's that, and that's the LAST of the dimensional rifts in the game, so the only time this tileset will ever show up again probably is for the Void proper and the post-game optional dungeon.

I will probably do some fancy little things with some of these landmasses to make it not so monotonous. But since it's the Void, it's not supposed to be super exciting anyways so...oh, and as with all other dimensional rifts (bar the Myouren Temple one), you cannot revisit this area again. There are a lot of treasures (and by a lot, I mean a LOT) strewn about on this map, so there's that going for it. A lot of it being needed for various craftable stuff and whatnot (help, how to make crafting system balanced?!).

Whew...going onto week 4 for working on this game non-stop, and almost got all beta5 dungeons done. Only ones missing after this are Ruins of Vina, Silent Shrine, and Hokkai (Sealed Cave included but that can wait). When I get motivated and start working on something, I keep at it I tell you. @_@;
@Facesforce that looks pretty cool :D
and @xenomic differently from what you used to make I think this map is actually pretty balanced and cool... 'course, the panorama can make it or break it, but
the only area that perhaps is too big or bland is the entrance but it's totally fine 'cuz it's the entrance ^^
congrats, that's a really cool map >:^D