THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=chaosvine
Sharing an update on my progress here. Alot of stuff has changed. I feel pretty good about my progression.

...chaosvine

This is the point where if I were just arriving in the thread without having seen your previous posts, I would ask you what game those tiles are ripped from

(add shadows to the grass that's in the lower right corners of the bases of the cliffs, by the way)

@Dookie: niiiiiiiiiiiiice
Just dropping by to tell Dookie I love his graphics and style, the game looks very interesting! Good job!
@chaosvine Fantastic improvement since your first posted screen. Remember that?

author=chaosvine
Thanks guys. I won't be posting so often in here as to not clutter up the thread. And Lockez I assure you i didn't rip anything off. The only thing even remotely close to another person's work is the sprite. I modeled it after the Mack style, but it's not based on any one particular sprite it's my own design. As for the trees, that jump in progress came from a really good tutorial I found on pixelation and alot of effort on my part to get it just right lol. Thanks for pointing out the shadows. I'm in the process of tinting all the shadows to a dark blue shade so I will add that in the corners. I will be making some diaganol cliffs and some rocks and landscape pieces soon to add texture to the landscape.

I also have a new tentative name for my first game I believe it will be called Chaos Requiem. As my tileset is only about 10% complete (and only the outside tileset). This game is far from complete which means it will probably be released sometime in the next 2 to 3 months depending how large I make it. :)

I'd also like to say that I'm now a huge fan of dookie's work after looking at those screenshots! It has a retro feel while being really unique.
link_2112, that looks like some of the earlier PC-games. Like way back before I was even born, like mid 80's or something o_O (actually that's not way back before I was born...)

That static in clouds looks maybe a bit too strong compared to other colour variations you got there. You could add some more details, I can see you got the skills for it, it's just a matter of how much time and effort you're willing to put there.

I absolutely love that characterset! Really nice doodly-style!

Do you find that look to be a bad thing?

Yeah, those clouds. You probably won't be surprised to hear that I made that with random waving of the spraypaint tool. The grey matter isn't the best, but the white stuff turned out pretty good. I have another type of cloud I made one time... and of course I can't find it. It looks much better. So I will be working on those clouds.

haha But I too like the charset :P It's easy to draw and animate.

@Link
House looks a bit wonky, gonna have to adjust it slightly to make it symmetrical.
Also why harsh black outlines on some stuff but not on other?
And yeah those clouds look kinda crappy, would be better as just white with some shading.
I'm guessing you made this from a real-world location? Looks pretty good, apart from the minor stuff.

Adjust it how? I usually measure my lines to make sure the frame of an object is symmetrical.

The outlines are an ongoing issue. I've tried different styles http://rpgmaker.net/games/4564/images/32308/ look at the comments. I sometimes even forget to be consistent. Some things seem to look better with outlines, some without. Some look better dark and some not so much. Whatever I decide to do will probably generate lots of similar comments, but whatever.

I can't say this image is a WIP because my art style is still a WIP! It's good to get some feedback at least. Thanks.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

Forest Dungeon (Using Only Samurai Tileset)
By the way I'm thinking of having a fishing mini game, so the player can take a break from battle by relaxing at that pond and going fishing.

Kory, it looks a bit bleak.
Maybe add a point of interest or something?
author=Link_2112
Adjust it how? I usually measure my lines to make sure the frame of an object is symmetrical.

The angles aren't the same on the roof and the house side, and the roof is longer on the left side. See picture for clarification.
Last update in here for a few days as I am hard at work on this project. I've made a ton of stuff since yesterday though. Just wanted to share.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=chaosvine
Thanks guys. I won't be posting so often in here as to not clutter up the thread. And Lockez I assure you i didn't rip anything off.
Just in case you misunderstood, that wasn't an actual accusation, as I saw all the in-between steps that got you to where you are. It's just a way of saying that your stuff looks commercial-grade now. 90% of the games here use graphics ripped from commercial games, but your graphics look as good as those do.
author=LockeZ
author=chaosvine
Thanks guys. I won't be posting so often in here as to not clutter up the thread. And Lockez I assure you i didn't rip anything off.
Just in case you misunderstood, that wasn't an actual accusation, as I saw all the in-between steps that got you to where you are. It's just a way of saying that your stuff looks commercial-grade now. 90% of the games here use graphics ripped from commercial games, but your graphics look as good as those do.

Oh I know you weren't accusing me, I dunno what I was trying to say there. I was pretty tired when I wrote that post. Also jeez thanks for that word of encouragement. I'm nothing if not persistent that's how I do everything. :3
author=chaosvine
Also jeez thanks for that word of encouragement. I'm nothing if not persistent that's how I do everything. :3

That's the key for success. Screw talent, it's worthless without a good dose of hustling
@0range00: Ahahah, I know right? I started on magnavox myself when I was a kid, so I always have held a soft spot for ascii graphics.

@korry_toombs: Hmm... Your samurai fishing forest is lacking any sort of landmarks. Not sure how you would fix that though.

@Chaosvine: Great looking set you have there
@Link_2112: It looks like the art style used in freeski 95. XD I approve.

And finally, I managed to get the desert looking good, so now I face another daunting task: How to make a ascii/minimal tileset make a forest. I am not sure there is any good way to do this however. So, here is my attempt at a forest surrounding a wooden cabin and a small river behind it. Any suggestions?
Ah, I see what you mean now. That part of the roof was hard to draw and now I see why haha I was wondering why things weren't lining up.

I remember freeski heh
@chaos vine- looking way better but Id still zoom in and refine the edges of things (specifically the perimeter of the tree leaves) . you can make them less jagged I think.

thanks for the replies guys. Trying to make something both fresh and a throw back to snes rpgs, also games like earthworm jim and zombies ate my neighbors in terms of art direction.

^ working on the graphics and animations for the Gnome Kingdom, Tinkertown.
author=chaosvine
Last update in here for a few days as I am hard at work on this project. I've made a ton of stuff since yesterday though. Just wanted to share.

Dude, you've come so far in such a short period of time. I'm incredibly jealous of your skill.
author=chaosvine
author=nurvuss
Dude, you've come so far in such a short period of time. I'm incredibly jealous of your skill.
Yeah, this is honestly incredible. Seeing your work from the earlier screenshots, I'm astounded how quickly you improved! Serious props haha.
@Dookie: can I marry your game or is that not allowed I'm not sure
Thanks guys. :3

Also, dookie that vid is incredible. I'm in love with those graphics of yours and the atmosphere of that game. How far along in development are you? I can't wait to play that game of yours.