THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=UPRC
Looking awesome, Hatch!
I am in agreement with this person's opinion. Reminds me of something, I just can't think what. Maybe Metroid? Be weird though since I never played it.

Well anyway, looks promising, I love how consistent the art is, and envy your abilities at going with one style instead of throwing all this crap together higgledy-piggledy like I do.

That all said, I got a hold of my tileset artist, and I can probably make Menagerie's style mostly consistent if he can mimick the tileset style seen there better than he did last time! Doesn't take long for me to downgrade sprites now that i know how to do it easily, the Fatty you see there isn't done, when and if I make this game consistent in art style, he'll have much more cel-shaded appearance in sprite form. I'd also get rid of the bush terrains entirely since it looks weird.

If that is a thing that can happen, I'll reevaluate the window skins style too and the other things. We'll just have to wait and see.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
  • If those are raindrops; I recommend shrinking them and making them more frequent.
  • I recommend making additional upper-layer tiles to smooth out the appearance of the treetops. Perhaps give the clifftops the same treatment, but the treetops are more apparent.
  • The stairs seem awfully uniform for packed-earth stairs; I'd recommend making the dark pixels less aligned between steps.

Other than that, it doesn't look bad at all!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Hatch's work reminds me of Blackthorne, just more anime? JRPGish? Maybe
And this is a very good compliment, Hatch. Just to be clear. ;)
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=LouisCyphre
  • If those are raindrops; I recommend shrinking them and making them more frequent.
  • I recommend making additional upper-layer tiles to smooth out the appearance of the treetops. Perhaps give the clifftops the same treatment, but the treetops are more apparent.
  • The stairs seem awfully uniform for packed-earth stairs; I'd recommend making the dark pixels less aligned between steps.
Other than that, it doesn't look bad at all!
Thanks for the tips! Those aren't raindrops, no, they're cosmic debris. I can definitely make the stairs less uniform. Just not something that occurred to me at all.

So I updated a few of the tiles, the stairs and also the tree autotiles and cliffs, see whatcha' think now.

Heh, I remember Blackthorne, though it's been a while! And yes, my game is definitely Metroid inspired. I wish I could take credit for the art but that's actually my friend Corey's work. He is awesome. :) He does the art while I do the coding work.
I'm getting close to releasing a demo of my game! It's not perfect. I don't like the way some of the tiles align (or don't align), and the coral needs some work, but other than that, I think it's mostly okay.

And I'm well aware that coral doesn't grow on land, but this isn't meant to be a scientifically accurate game. :P
That looks pretty nice actually, very nice use of colors! love the layering effect on the coral!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Get rid of the borders on the coral IMO - the rest of your tiles don't have borders. Only the sprites seem to have borders.

Maybe also work with the bottom edge where they meet the sand. It doesn't look like the stalk is going down into the sand.

Looks mostly okay otherwise. That butterfly seems to be a different resolution from the rest of the screenshot though.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I'd get rid of the coral altogether. Because otherwise it's a lovely screenshot.
I like the coral. It could use some work to make it match rest of the chipset more, but it's a great way to make that beach less generic.

BizarreMonkey, that's a cool artstyle. Kinda clusterfuck, but in a good way ^^

Hatch, that light radius is a little small, no? Looks unbelieavable otherwise, really cool!

NOACCEPTANCE, you got a noble cause there, lynch-inspired game sounds always great. God's appearance is quite puzzling
Thanks for the comments, everyone. I do believe that the coral is worth saving, so I'll take another crack at it to see if I can come up with something a little nicer looking.
I agree, the coral brightens the beach up and makes it look more interesting. Just find a way to have the coral "mesh" with the rest of the tiles better and you'll be golden.
I'm currently testing out which tiles I shall use for my second game.
Either something like these:

Or these:

I'm leaning towards the latter, mainly because of the colorful vibe it gives. It also seems to fit the game's setting better, mainly because it will be somewhat of comedic RPG. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Also:

I'm really fond of these tiles! I've finally figured out the last secret of the shift technique as well! ^^
Yeah, I think the tiles in the second and third images would be better. The first one looks a bit... realistic, while the other two have a more bright, happy style that seems more fitting for something comedic.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Brown is real! Yay for brown games!
The latter, definitely. It has way more flair and personality. It's just much nicer to look at overall.
I'm glad you guys agree with me!

I edited the tileset and added some more custom stuff to mix it up.

I'm not too sure how necessary this change is. Does it look better/worse? If better, would it be worth the extra little work in the end?

I'm mainly trying to make the world feel more alive and distinguish from other games.
The first image sits better for me.

These are TOO vivid, it looks like every rtp screenshot to me.
theres probably a happy medium between the too, honestly, if you don't mind adjusting the saturation.

I'm a sucker for desaturated, drab looking washed colors though so I may be biased.

LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I'm inclined to agree that you should aim for a saturation between the two levels shown in your screenshots.