THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Maybe full normal tint with a bit of grey mixed in would work. That way you don't have to mess with the graphics too much. ^.^

If you want to dull it a bit. I've no issue with looking like an RTP game and rather enjoy the look, but that's me. Everyone and their horse knows I like the RTP.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah, it says RTP Princess righ--

what the fuck where did your title go
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
same place my name went
It'll be back eventually. It's on holiday because of mafia games.
;p
Made some more tiles and a robot with some questionable programming.

(Damn it, I accidentally deleted the whole post! Dx Take two!)

Thanks for the inputs, guys! I really appreciate it!

The problem with RTP, Lib, is that however good your maps are, there will always be a lot of people who hate them. I've got lots of PMs and comments from people telling me that they'd like to play my game, BUT they can't because it has RTP in it! I'd like this to lessen when I finish my next/future games.

I'll try to make the tint a bit grayer and see how it turns out. Also, I won't mix the different trees tiles too much. This will instead give each area it's own unique look and feel.

So, I've been playing around with some battle backs lately and here's what I've got so far:

These are all just tests still, but I think they've turned out neat visually. I KNOW that some are not scientifically correct, so I'm wondering if that bothers you much (scaling + swamp nature)? I'd really like to go with this kind of style for my next project. :3

Also, nice tiles, Momeka! I think you nailed them pretty much!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
You're killing me, Momeka! Awesome stuff :)
@luiishu535: If you intend to do this then you should try to maintain the same resolution throughout the image (instead of mixing 16x16 backgrounds and 32x32 tiles together) and proper perspective (the pillars and trees should curve with the backdrop and get smaller as they go further back).
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=Dookie
The first image sits better for me.

These are TOO vivid, it looks like every rtp screenshot to me.
theres probably a happy medium between the too, honestly, if you don't mind adjusting the saturation.

I'm a sucker for desaturated, drab looking washed colors though so I may be biased.

If you think THIS is too vivid, I pray you never try to play one of my games.

PEOPLE HAVE DIED!

Others merely blinded.

I hate dull uncolorful palettes, especially in upbeat games. Can you imagine a game like Jet Set Radio or Ratchet and Clank with a coffee and grey filter over it?

In some games, that more brown/grey style suits, but for a game that's meant to be fun or upbeat, vivid colors are the way to go, it's all on the atmosphere.

The RTP isn't near that bright, in fact it's pretty drab, all things considered!

In most cases brown and grey / desaturated colors serve as a lazy excuse for bad color design. Oddworld Abe's oddysey had a tremendous amount of atmosphere, and the richer colors played into that better, rather than taking away from it. It was realistic, but in an alien world... and it was colorful, not neon but it didn't rely on desaturated colors, it worked.

I don't agree with the art direction in New n' Tasty, but that's a whole other bucket of worms.

@0range00: Lol, thanks! I was hoping to have some more to show on that today, but I don't, instead, here's an optional boss which i just finished work on today.

Haywire is a state that doubles Energy cost for all abilities. On the note of the screenshots, I'd like some feedback on the fonts. Orator STD is being used for System, whilst Tekton Pro is used for messages. Before it was all boring straight-laced Arial.
Thanks Files and luiis.

author=BizarreMonkey

You really should change the color of the name, it's hard to read against that dark textbox.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games

Playing with menus.

The second image is a checklist of acquired skills. In it, equipped skills are shown in the wearer's color.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
@LouisCyphre: You misspelled cacophony.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Corrected.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
that was fucking fast lol
My awesome buddy made a title screen for me last night and this is how it turned out:

Not originally what I had in mind at first, but I think it does a great job so far. Hopefully I can figure out how to remove the boxed window and add custom text instead.

What do you guys think about the house?

@Pizza: I'll see what I can do about the scaling. Hopefully, it's not too complex to make.

Yikes, can't say I'm a fan of that.

Here's why:

The resolution is all over the place. Look at the font, versus the mountians in the back, versus the smallest portrait, versus the largest portrait.

Next, that font...I think it's safe to say even for a game called Epic Grandma Tale that font looks like a wet noodle, with the colors of someones 1999 AIM profile.

5 character facesets over an empty field...I'd say go back to the drawing board on this one. Or tell your friend politely that you're gonna make your own title screens from now on.

oh, I don't like the house either
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Ahahahaha, wow Dookie cut it up much?

That said, i'm inclined to agree with most of what you said, honestly make your own sodding title screen its not hard. I know I shouldn't speak since I'm probably the worst offender of this (but I'm aware of it) but point being you have RTP mixed with a pastelic kinda backdrop and that hideous text ain't doing it any favors either.

That text just makes it infuriating to look at, I've seen logos for soap operas even that aren't that cheesy.

Well anyway, what I will say in the defense of the game is that-- if this is some badass grandma wreckin' cunts and saving her grandson because the parents are hopeless the premise of the game on its own merit has caught my interest.

Oh yeah, since I'm sure there's some major offenses I'm making here, feel free to give me feedback on this title screen of mine.
NOACCEPTANCE772
And the ability to summon the "Office Whores" to deal damage to the enemies.
author=0range00
NOACCEPTANCE, you got a noble cause there, lynch-inspired game sounds always great. God's appearance is quite puzzling

Thank you! :D I love Lynch's work! And I intended for God to look like a rich snob. lol
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year

thinking i should reduce the size of the lights. It is supposed to be dark though (I'm building off of the 'original' plot content, which had a horror vibe)
If you do so, add a bit more grey to that tint. While you want to keep it dark, you still want your players to be able to see where they're going and a lot of the tiles in that set are rather dark so they'd blend in with each other a lot in the darkness.