THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
This is the project I'm working on. I started it many years ago in 2k3 and recently I resumed work, I thought I've lost it forever:

Looking very nice, though shouldn't Items and Arms be capitalised?
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
author=Liberty
Looking very nice, though shouldn't Items and Arms be capitalised?

I think it looks more stylized that way, but I'll probably change the HUD. Thank you!
author=Pulits
This is the project I'm working on. I started it many years ago in 2k3 and recently I resumed work, I thought I've lost it forever:

Hey, I remember this! Always thought it looked very nifty!
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
author=Neok
author=Pulits
Hey, I remember this! Always thought it looked very nifty!

I'm very glad that you remember it! I thought the game was lost forever, and luckily a friend (Trujin) had a copy. I'm working on it non-stop now.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
Personally I don't like the way the weapon icons stand on top of the key commands for the HUD, I myself usually use 'A' (X) for shoot and 'S' (Y) for items. This goes well with dashing and doesn't make the enter key do two things, which can be problematic. In that way, you can also change it so you have A with the gun icon beside it, same with icons, offering a more clean cut and conveyed system. Ultimately though, it's up to you. Just letting you know I'm not a fan of the text for the button being partially obscured by the icons, just offends my OCD.

Here's some polish in Perseverance I forgot about.

During the time working on this, I was really starting to enjoy KC Green's comics, the Anime Club in particular. But the hardly good boys, the three news reporteers and a couple others really tickled my fancy. This scene here is in part reference to the beginning of the anime club part 4, birth & redeath as seen here. The two jocks speak somewhat similar lines.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Morigoth The White Waits To Receive Garinol DuCourt In His Office, 2002

Morigoth The White Receives Garinol DuCourt In His Office, 2014

Time elapsed in the story between these two moments: about 2 minutes.

Time elapsed in real life between these two screenshots: about 12 years.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Your character sprites are slightly taller that the walls around then. I recommend increasing the wall heights by a tile.

Strangely, the window behind Morigoth is much greater height than the surrounding walls, so you were definitely thinking about the scale of the space when mapping this scene...?

also "morigoth" is quite possibly the most generically villainous name I've read; whether or not the character himself is villainous

The choice of font is suitably fitting, though, as is the use of High Fantasy resources!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats

VX Ace, why are you doing this to me?
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Man, I cannot look at VX Ace seriously. It's so blocky, it's all I see!
Corfaisus
"It's frustrating because - as much as Corf is otherwise an irredeemable person - his 2k/3 mapping is on point." ~ psy_wombats
I hear ya! If it weren't illegal to make money with RM2k3, I wouldn't even bother with the new shit.
InfectionFiles
XP is a viable option, right? Right, guys?!

Edit: oh, and I missed Pulits piece. That's a lovely looking game! And I agree with the point about style for the lower case items and arms. Much more effective for the style.
author=Corfaisus
I hear ya! If it weren't illegal to make money with RM2k3, I wouldn't even bother with the new shit.

1. Just map in 2k3 and parallax it into VXA?
2. ????
3. Profit
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you're making your own tiles in VX Ace, there's no excuse for it looking that blocky.

...Well, maybe if you were making a Minecraft or Lego fangame. That would be an excuse. There's no excuse for it looking that way if you don't want it to, though!

author=LouisCyphre
also "morigoth" is quite possibly the most generically villainous name I've read; whether or not the character himself is villainous
Right? I think it literally means deathdark, yet it somehow came out sounding like a legit name also. I'm actually impressed.
InfectionFiles
I agree, LockeZ! And at this time I'll rephrase my previous post by saying that VX Ace RTP I can't take seriously due to its inherent blockiness.
Eh, I like 'em, but that's no surprise. They can look quite good when handled well. I think the issue with that screenshot, Corfaisus, is the fact that it's all one colour - there's no resting for your eyes. Red is a pretty bright colour and even though your cliffage is neat, it just looks like a sea of red, unfortunately.

That's one of the big issues with the lava cave tiles, I think - the floor, walls and roof are too close to each other, colour-wise.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
I have done nothing on dev in the last 3 days.

And I just know this is to blame.

That and my pitiful will when shit gets awesome enough.

Upside, I'm being arty again.
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
I'll try to give good feedback comments regarding RPG Maker XP+, I know it's been on the market for years now, but this is all new to me.

@BizarreMonkey: I like what I'm seeing. I specially like the character sets and portraits. The tilesets are great, too.

@Mac McGee: That's a hell of an improvement, congrats. But I agree with LouisCyphre, the character sets are taller than the walls. It doesn't looks bad, but you could consider it.

@Corfaisus: I can't find a problem with your image. It's kinda blocky, but I don't think it looks bad at all.

I'll try to post at least a new picture per week. Here's another picture of the mansion, but now from inside:

The overall look of the game will now be like this. I'm working with a background artist, she's very talented.
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I usually struggle with giving the impression of height in maps. So as an exercise and because I wanted to see how it looked in comparison, I made an attempt to recreate/imitate Corfaisus' VX Ace map in XP. I had to take a few liberties, and of course it looks a lot less fiery due to the lack of strong red colours in most tiles, but I still kind of like the result.
Thanks for the inspiration, Corfaisus.

that just shows how utterly sucky VXA's tiles are
I mean, UGH
I FREAKING HATE VX' TILESETS >:^