THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
author=SnowOwl
Unless your character is somehow shrinked to 1/10th of his normal size, everything in that house is huge. Also character doesn't match with the rest in style.

The sprite size (24x32) and style is the standard rm2k3 sprite. The room is hand drawn, which allows greater detail. Using this same technique for sprites that size is very difficult, so that's why I opted for the standard pixel art.

Each asset can be resized, and this screen actually got many revisions, I think it looks great this way! But I'll consider resizing it once again.

Thank you for your comment!
Made you a slight edit, I hope it's now possible to visualize what he meant.
Regardless, the graphics themselves are beautiful!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Kaempfer
It's been a very long time since I posted anything in a screenshot topic! For those of you who didn't see the update:

wow that's really fooking pretty
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
God damn that's pretty
@Kaempfer: Not many people get those cliff tiles to tile properly. You've done an amazing job forcing them to behave~ ^.^
author=Dookie
Kaempfer:

Love it. Really good. Consider graying out the panorama the slightest bit though, (specifically the green tones) so it sinks into the BG more, maybe add a touch of blue as thats what happens when objects look farther away.

Looking great.

Thanks, I'll try that! Right now it's just the direct FF5 rip, and it looks a lot more sensible in game (as it scrolls at a different speed), but you're definitely correct about the depth of it. I'll try a darker green drawing from the blue palette for the tree canopy and see where I can get with that.

author=Liberty
@Kaempfer: Not many people get those cliff tiles to tile properly. You've done an amazing job forcing them to behave~ ^.^

Forcing is right. When I got right down to it, I found that there were lots of mapping "errors" in FF5 where they just couldn't quite tame the tileset. I've added a bunch of very small edits (hopefully unnoticeable) to get rid of the banding that was going on in areas, although even still there's a bit easily recognized in this screenshot that bothers me. Eventually, though, you have to move on!

@Everyone: Thanks! I'll post some more as I go along, although there's already a bunch up on my gamepage and I don't want to reveal too much. ;D
something like this, subtle, but I think more effective

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
ITT: people complaining about the color saturation and foreground contrast of FF5 and suggesting improvements to its tiles
author=LockeZ
ITT: people complaining about the color saturation and foreground contrast of FF5 and suggesting improvements to its tiles

I don't see what the problem is. I'm not committed to using direct rips, so minor changes to the tileset that retain the original feel but offer a tangible benefit are a big help. Also, nobody suggested changes to the tiles. I did some small edits to make it easier for myself, is all.

@Dookie: That looks great. I'll probably use that exact palette! I'll probably retain the green on the sides of the mountains, though. Thanks.
Let's play Liberty posts more RTP shots. Yaaaaaay.

XD

I like the tint. I'm keeping the tint. It's not too dark and not too light. Also, yay for simple window skins and good fonts. ^.^

It took me forever but I finally got the menu looking mostly how I wanted. ;^;
Miles is a guest character - he's never in battle with you. Instead, he'll keep you stocked up with goods and take all your monies~
I was going to try making it so you could have more than one character and swap between them on the main screen using Page Up/Page Down but I couldn't find a good script that would allow for it so... one character game is a go!

Motherfucking Icons~<3 I been doing some editing (took me a while to settle on red for a colour. If I had my way the different icons would be used instead of descriptors but the one script I found that would do that had issues with my other menu script so fuck it.)
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
If you're talking about adding icons TO the description (like Rhyme does in SubStar), it should be supported natively. If not, it's really simple to add!
The Hit/ATK etc in the description are all icons. ^.^

But I meant instead of Head, Arms, Body, Legs and Hand descriptors as part of the equip scene. I probably didn't make that clear enough. ^.^;

Is it really that simple? I tried to dissect Yanfly's script to just grab the part that dealt with it but couldn't get it to work. (Level 2 of learning scripting - actually dissecting scripts and sticking them back together to make them work. :D )
author=LockeZ

Even the people that made the FF games are human, you know.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=Liberty
The Hit/ATK etc in the description are all icons. ^.^

But I meant instead of Head, Arms, Body, Legs and Hand descriptors as part of the equip scene. I probably didn't make that clear enough. ^.^;

Is it really that simple? I tried to dissect Yanfly's script to just grab the part that dealt with it but couldn't get it to work. (Level 2 of learning scripting - actually dissecting scripts and sticking them back together to make them work. :D )

Oh, that makes more sense.

Your first step will be to look for where he defines "Window_EquipSlot" since that's the window you want to adjust. Ctrl + Shift + F is "Search in all selections" in the script editor, and is your best friend ever in scripting.

Once you find the line "class Window_EquipSlot" in yanfly's script, you can get to work. Start looking for methods that pertain to "draw_item_name" or their ilk--common sense and deduction is the best guide here. Use Ctrl + Q to comment out individual lines without deleting them, run the game to see what happens, then uncomment them and comment out something else.

When you comment a line out and "Head," "Body," etc. vanish, you're in business. You'll want to perform the command "draw_icon(<your icon index here>, x, y)". Look at the line you commented out to see how it decides what X and Y are, and imitate that. For your icon index, default to some icon you know (e.g. draw_icon(40, x, y)). Then, once you can draw the icons in the position you want, replace your arbitrary number with the index of the slot you are labeling.

It maybe be easier or harder to know "index" depending on where Yanfly draws his category names. For example, "def draw_item(index)" blatantly passes the variable "index," which is exactly what you want. If so, great! If not, you'll have to acquire that variable to move on.

Once you have it drawing using the index, it will be drawing icons 0 through 4, which isn't want you want. Thankfully you can just do something like "draw_icon(index + 40, x, y)" If your icons aren't in your Iconset.png in order... You'll probably want to put them in order.

These instructions are probably slightly obtuse, but I wouldn't want to rob you of the fun of making a change like this yourself!
I'll give it a go, then! (Tomorrow, though~ XD I'm a bit scripted out at the moment) ^.^

Thank you~
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=SnowOwl
author=LockeZ
Even the people that made the FF games are human, you know.
Yeah, I just assume people who are using rips are doing so specifically because they don't want to mess with graphics editing. I don't normally expect people to be willing to edit rips except to create sprites for their main characters; if they were, they probably wouldn't be using rips in the first place. It sounds like he's more interested in mirroring the FF5 graphic style than in avoiding work, though, so I take back my snide comment.
Properly starting to use VXACE. Messing around with the scripting for the first time, finally figured out how to do a few things; such as getting the menu how I want it to look. Might try and slot a play time box above the money, not sure.

Max McGee
@Little Wing Guy: I REALLY like those facesets. Where did they come from!? The menu layout looks solid. You're using a lot of the same menu icons I used for Journeyman and other games, so I guess great minds look alike.
They're the DS faces.
Max McGee
Wow I like the style of them MUCH better than the default VX(Ace) RTP faces.