THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

author=Essenceblade
@Pulits

I like it; but is there a reason why the top appears to be cut off? Just curious.

After some haitus, I'm converting all my REFMAP resources from RPG Maker 2003 to VX Ace to work on my project again. It's going okay for now but I'm thinking of doing some parallaxing once I convert 'em.

What game is this? It looks very similar to AraFell. The midair flame yea. Though if you changed the sprite to a floating ball of flame, it would be plausible. The rain. If they are in the middle of the clouds, possibly this would make sense.

Weather takes place in the troposphere.

If they are somewhere in the middle of the troposhere, but below the tropopause, they could still experience weather. You'd have to assume there are clouds above and below them, then.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Essenceblade
@Pulits

I like it; but is there a reason why the top appears to be cut off? Just curious.

After some haitus, I'm converting all my REFMAP resources from RPG Maker 2003 to VX Ace to work on my project again. It's going okay for now but I'm thinking of doing some parallaxing once I convert 'em.

Yo! Essenceblade! Please share your output HERE, and contribute to the glorious CHAPSET PROJECT!
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
author=LockeZ
@Pulits: If the top of the statue's head is broken, the camera should be able to see the flat top of it, the same way you'd be able to see the flat top of a barrel. Currently the angle makes no sense.

Also, the edges of both the statue and the vines have artifacts around them, from incorrectly making the background transparent. You can see there are lighter pixels beyond the edges of the objects. It looks jpeggy and awful.

I'll fix this, it indeed looks "pixely" in some edges. Thank you for your comment!

author=suzy_cheesedreams
@Pulits, I think the sprite looks a little too bright against the murky background. Maybe adjust the tone of the sprite's colours so they're not as stark...? (Or alternatively brighten the background again.)

Yes, the backdrop is naturally dark, but the sprite is not, and it does looks strange. I'll try to fix this. Thank you.

author=Essenceblade
@Pulits

The top of the head IS actually broken. It was done this way on purpose, it's based off a real statue from a private collection:

Interpreting this in 2D was a challenge, but I'm happy with the results. The edges need to be fixed, though.
Glad I could help!

And I agree with LockeZ that the flat top of the statue's head should be more visible from that angle.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah, the problem is that this photo is taken from striaght ahead of the statue. The camera in the game is from overhead, so the broken top of it should be visible, and the bottom should be rounded rather than a straight line. Like this (except preferably less bad, this was done quickly):

Nevertheless you did a very good job removing the glare, turning it into pixel art, and editing the colors to make it match the level. So nice job with all that. Better'n I could do on that front.
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
author=LockeZ
Yeah, the problem is that this photo is taken from striaght ahead of the statue. The camera in the game is from overhead, so the broken top of it should be visible, and the bottom should be rounded rather than a straight line. Like this (except preferably less bad, this was done quickly):

Nevertheless you did a very good job removing the glare, turning it into pixel art, and editing the colors to make it match the level. So nice job with all that. Better'n I could do on that front.

Thank you! But I can't take credit. There's someone working under commision in the creation of these maps, I'll sure tell her your comments, which are much appreciated. :)
Yo! Essenceblade! Please share your output HERE, and contribute to the glorious CHAPSET PROJECT!

I'll definitely have a look, I have tons of chipsets and charsets that I've edited in Mack Style.
Max McGee
Awesome! : D

Yes, yes, I know. "Walls are dark." Can't help that. I've tried lightening them but it loses saturation. Besides, I want them kinda darker in any case - that's why I made them darker in the first place. Screens won't get darker than the top one. That said, I'll keep messing with them to see if I can't get them at least a bit lighter (especially the ones in the top image).
@Liberty: Nice job on the lighting effect. Takes me back to the classic days of 2k3... Except unlike back then, it's actually being used correctly.

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/29496/locker/MTM_Screen_1.png

Just revised the title screen graphics for my term 1 school project. Now I need to go and bump up the rest of the graphical assets. I think I'm finally getting the hang of working in a 4 colour palette though, which is nice.
It's just the default look for button objects in Construct 2. Gonna fix it up a little later down the road.

EDIT: Also, I seem to have missed a dark spot between the I and D in midnight. Shoot.

I needed a few days off from the Grimoire so I whipped this together.
A crap 2D minecraft clone.
Mining works and you can place blocks of stone.
Made using the RPGToolkit

Made some improvements and added the crafting table, chest, and oven
Next time edit the new image into your previous post when there haven't been any posts afterwards. Double and multi posting are against site rules.

It looks a bit like a really low-res, side-view minecraft clone so... I guess it works. XD
author=Liberty
Next time edit the new image into your previous post when there haven't been any posts afterwards. Double and multi posting are against site rules.

No problems ;)
Makes me think of Terraria way more than Minecraft on account of it being 2D. Any plans on doing anything to set it apart from the other sandbox games?
The parallax doesn't really fit the angle, Max. Also, the walls and character sets are practically black (and I have a pretty light monitor). You might want to try adding a bit of grey to that tint - it really helps a lot more than you'd think.

The stairs don't really work well with the rest of the graphics (snow vs black ground tiles looks odd). Are they the ones that are supposed to go with those cliffs? If so, that's not your fault, but it's something the creators of the graphic pack should have looked in to before now.

I like that you messed around with the cliffing though a bit more could have been done to the left-most cliff area. That one stretch of cliffage is a bit too straight.

It needs a little work, especially since a lot of the objects used look like they'd fit into a heavily snowed in area but the ground shows no heavy snowfall. (Also, the trees to the left show snow but the ones in the middle/right don't? That's pretty strange.)
Max McGee
Maybe I'll muck 'around with it a bit more much later in the dev cycle, tints and panorama and whatnot. For now I'd rather create new content. The rock walls are meant to be a jet black volcanic rock, but the characters shouldn't be black.

The stairs don't really work well with the rest of the graphics (snow vs black ground tiles looks odd). Are they the ones that are supposed to go with those cliffs? If so, that's not your fault, but it's something the creators of the graphic pack should have looked in to before now.

Weren't any stairs AT ALL that came with any of the HF packs. Kind of pissed me off. But anyway those are just the RTP stairs. I've tweaked the contrast, brightness, and saturation to match as best as I can.

It needs a little work, especially since a lot of the objects used look like they'd fit into a heavily snowed in area but the ground shows no heavy snowfall. (Also, the trees to the left show snow but the ones in the middle/right don't? That's pretty strange.)

I actually gotta disagree with you there. I live in an area that gets a fair amount of snowfall a third of the year round. While when there's a really heavy snow, you see an even blanketing on everything, but when it just snows a bit, you get different snow levels on different surface colors and textures and elevations (such as the crevices of stairs) because of different melting rates, and even some trees will appear covered in snow while others will have the snow on them melt.

Also this tileset is used for a fairly large game area and I wanted a variety of different trees. There were only one or maybe two trees with snow and some of them might have been too cheery looking for the bleak, "blighted wasteland" look I was going for.

*sigh* Anyway I'm not sure how much of it is the High Fantasy tiles being a pain in the ass to use and how much of it is me just being much more experienced with the cartoonier, more RTP-like tiles. Add on to that the fact that most of my games, released or not, are modern/scifi and I've got more experience mapping indoor areas than anythin' made by nature.

Going into the game's second act, a much better mapper is taking over so the maps should be nicer to look at aesthetically going forward.