THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

High resolution test for my commercial project.

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=MISTER BIG T
High resolution test for my commercial project.

whoabig.gaf
Your maps are going to have to show a lot more detail to convince me that the larger resolution is worth implementing at all, sometimes less is more. And if your "more" is to make maps more barren (and I know you can make maps packed, I've seen your stuff) then I'd have to argue if it could even be observed as a feature at all, more likely it's just going to make the game difficult to run on low-end systems and make it difficult to see all that's going on due to the centralized point of interest being unclear.

Here's my submission for today!

Member XV.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There's nothing bad about the placement of objects or the size or the layout or anything else technically wrong with that screenshot, BizarreMonkey, it's just... ugly. I'm 93% sure it's the colors and the way contrast is used. You've got the big white areas and the harsh black stuff which massively stands out, but it's very hard to "read" the map because there's no correlation between white/black and passable/impassable tiles. The color stands out so much but doesn't actually mean anything. Maybe try making that checkered floor white and the walls black?
@Biz: Did you draw those monitors mounted on the wall? They look pretty rad!
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I would definitely darken the ways to a light or medium gray, purely for clarity. Serviceable otherwise, though!
@Housekeeping: I think they're part of the Futuristic resource pack. I've seen them in a few games. They are pretty rad, though.
BizarreMonkey
author=LockeZ
There's nothing bad about the placement of objects or the size or the layout or anything else technically wrong with that screenshot, BizarreMonkey, it's just... ugly. I'm 93% sure it's the colors and the way contrast is used. You've got the big white areas and the harsh black stuff which massively stands out, but it's very hard to "read" the map because there's no correlation between white/black and passable/impassable tiles. The color stands out so much but doesn't actually mean anything. Maybe try making that checkered floor white and the walls black?
author=Housekeeping
@Biz: Did you draw those monitors mounted on the wall? They look pretty rad!
author=LouisCyphre
I would definitely darken the ways to a light or medium gray, purely for clarity. Serviceable otherwise, though!
Holy shit one person at a time jesus christ.

Yeah, I agree that it is WAY too contrasted, and so I am gonna fix that, Postmartia on the outside is a dark grey or almost black, so making the walls a dark grey which makes the checkerboard seem lighter may be a good way to go about that, I think.

@Housekeeping: haha, nah. I can't sprite like that, (okay actually I can but I don't enjoy it much) those TV's along with most of the tiles there are part of the futuristic resources pack that I bought a while ago.

Edit: Okay I think this is better.
Pulits
Jack Daniel's Evangelist
Last map for the mansion. After this we'll take a slight break from maps, we will be doing some concept art and such.

Let me know your thoughts, guys. :)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
@BizarreMonkey: Ha. Nice way of showing an area larger than the screenshot. And yeah, I think it looks better. The content is the same, but it's less confusing/blinding.

@Pulits: hard to tell what's going on. Are those ceiling beams going across the screen? They look like the same color/texture as the floor. Your coloration and are are really pretty, I'm just having trouble telling what's the ground and what's the wall/ceiling in this screenshot. I'm sure it would be immediately obvious if I was playing though, since if those are indeed ceiling beams, I assume they move at a different speed than the ground when the player walks north/south to create a sense of depth?
BizarreMonkey
author=LockeZ
@BizarreMonkey: Ha. Nice way of showing an area larger than the screenshot. And yeah, I think it looks better. The content is the same, but it's less confusing/blinding.
Ahaha, yeah I've been using that technique for a while. It's a good way to show the map outside while also seeing how it looks in-game.

Alright, linear content is DONE! I can fucking give this press build out to my lets player guy and other guys for testing now.
@Biz: Those monitors fit your Homestuck meets Invader Zim sensibilities so well that I just assumed they were yours.
BizarreMonkey
author=Housekeeping
@Biz: Those monitors fit your Homestuck meets Invader Zim sensibilities so well that I just assumed they were yours.
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAAHAAHA.

THAT IS THE FUNNIEST TRUEST AND SOMEHOW SADDEST THING I'VE HEARD VIRTUALLY EVER.

Just a shame I had to prove you wrong. Nah Celianna or Lunarea made those.

On that note, toning it down immensely on the homestuck shtick. Like it's basically gone, and a lot of the advice you gave on your review is being brought on board. You are actually one of the other guys I spoke of that will get a press build of the game once I can pull myself away from WoW long enough to validate finishing it up and uploading it.

OH GOD WHY MUST WARLORDS OF DRAENOR BE SO GOOD BLIZZARD WHATTHEFUCK EVEN.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I like the sentence "I miss having the capacity to be a bitch".
ESBY
extreme disappointment
Pulits - I like the vibe but I agree that the beams look a little off.
BizarreMonkey - Looks better now, couple mapping errors and I think I'd prefer the rooms having walls.

I tried to make this cave a bit darker without losing the detail on the walls, with no luck. I'll probably be sticking to this tint for now.
I's dark enough >_>'
The thing about darkness, is that to make a good dark environment you need to lower the contrast on the tileset. But this does look very dark already, and also very beautiful. A lovely screenshot, as per routine of yours, hahah.
BizarreMonkey
author=ESBY
BizarreMonkey - Looks better now, couple mapping errors and I think I'd prefer the rooms having walls.
Oh geez. How embarrassing... Thanks for pointing those out! Fixed 'em this afternoon.

@Yuna21: That looks really cool! Also you don't wanna tint things too much or you get the difficulty of vision factor. Due to the way tilesets and tints are rendered in VX and VX Ace it is not easy to have a really dark tint without losing some form of conveyance.

author=Max McGee
I like the sentence "I miss having the capacity to be a bitch".
It's even more funny for me since it's based on someone I know. (she's awesome, self proclaimed bitch, she also calls me Salope which is French for Bitch.)

The whole deal behind Corporation XVI is that to save their dimension, they had to sacrifice their names, past and selves and to do that they had to make a dimension which the alpha timeline could not calculate, thus Dimension Pi was born, a dimension circle-squared. In reality the dimension number is infinite, but it starts with 3.14 (then has all the numbers of Pi which as you know, never ends, it's infinite). Instead of using a square number, they used a circled number... this allowed them to save their dimension at the cost of themselves. Now they are priming the 12th Dimensions 4TH WALL to make a series of PORT4LS which will allow them to become whole again via being exposed to what they were through seeing their creation.

Since Pi cannot be solved due to it's infinite length attribute, The Pi(Circle-squared dimension) has the official name of "The Equation Unsolved".

I'm so proud of coming up with that! Being all using Pi as a whole plot mechanic is pretty cool, especially considering the INCREDIBLE RELEVANCE that 314 has to me.

When Dissentious Termagant says she misses the capacity to be a bitch, it's more just a joke but also because she really does want the power to be mean and shrewd, though it's not as if she has the ability to remember that she was a bitch, she's only been told by the past selves who are cameos of the CCC.
The only issue I can see, Yuna, is that a path that worn down, leading to the opening, wouldn't have a large patch of grass in front of where people would walk. Uh, that is, since the path has been worn down so much to show dirt we can assume it's travelled a bit by people. Thus, right in front of the cave, where people would walk through, there would also be the natural wear instead of thick grass. You could probably just get away with normal grass ground tile in a line where people would walk like you have with the path and that should work, but tall grass wouldn't grow in a place where feet consistently travel...

I just said the same thing three times, didn't I? >.<;

But yeah, the rest is nice. If you wanted it to be a little lighter tint-wise, you could add a bit more grey to it. It keeps the tint in tact, but allows for the darkness to recede a little.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
ESBY I really like your snowy modern town. It's pretty.
author=BizarreMonkey
Your maps are going to have to show a lot more detail to convince me that the larger resolution is worth implementing at all, sometimes less is more. And if your "more" is to make maps more barren (and I know you can make maps packed, I've seen your stuff) then I'd have to argue if it could even be observed as a feature at all, more likely it's just going to make the game difficult to run on low-end systems and make it difficult to see all that's going on due to the centralized point of interest being unclear.

I don't really support old low-end systems and rather would prefer to support the newer stuff since even this is pretty low-end by this day's standards and machines will continue to go more high end, not more low end so anyone not able to run it will be in very small numbering minority that gets smaller every year and barely ever invest into new games anyway since they just play their oldies. Having a higher resolution than my competition is going to be one of the selling points, you also have a better clear direction of where to go when the resolution isn't so tiny and zoomed in. I disagree with pretty much everything about your post, especially the "less is more" how is having a 640x480 resolution somehow better than being able to run far higher native resolution without a noticeable lag?

Also I hate to beat on a dead horse but this keeps being brought up and this is just one segment of the first level of the abandoned mines so it is a bit baren. Still, it has monsters (the Shrooms in the pic) and altar, secret passages and treasures and traps.