THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
author=MISTER BIG T
I don't really support old low-end systems and rather would prefer to support the newer stuff since even this is pretty low-end by this day's standards and machines will continue to go more high end, not more low end so anyone not able to run it will be in very small numbering minority that gets smaller every year and barely ever invest into new games anyway since they just play their oldies. Having a higher resolution than my competition is going to be one of the selling points, you also have a better clear direction of where to go when the resolution isn't so tiny and zoomed in. I disagree with pretty much everything about your post, especially the "less is more" how is having a 640x480 resolution somehow better than being able to run far higher native resolution without a noticeable lag?
A few reasons, RPGmaker isn't at all optomized to be able to run games at higher resolution than the standard 640x480, if you can manage to do that and provide some additional features (being able to see more) then there's nothing particularly wrong with that, however it's going to force every map you made to be upscaled to that resolution, also to consider is that people who have a smaller resolution are going to have no hope in hell of playing your game. If you are trying to sell your game which seems to be implied, then given that you may have an unusual sort of game, you might want to atleast cater to the demographic some by not limiting them to having a huge monitor. I don't know how large the resolution is, but it doesn't deviate from the core issue here, in that unless you aren't able to add anything without sacrificing performance and playability, than I fail to see why the larger resolution is a necessary feature at all.

author=MISTER BIG T
Also I hate to beat on a dead horse but this keeps being brought up and this is just one segment of the first level of the abandoned mines so it is a bit baren. Still, it has monsters (the Shrooms in the pic) and altar, secret passages and treasures and traps.
The idea behind secret passages, treasure and traps is that players explore to find them, when they are all on screen it makes it very easy for players to see if the route is worth it and take it or not. Purely being able to see more of the map at once isn't enough to convince me that this is even a feature.

Unless you can scale down the resolution, but I have worked with things like this in the past myself and ultimately decided it wasn't worth it, and chances are that you do not have the power to let players scale it down, this is because the resolution in default is small enough that only an atari jagwire would have problems rendering it and so Rpgmaker never considered integrating support for a larger resolution, and it's very difficult to implement a larger resolution for it then to be choppy or just not work on some peoples PC's due to either their system specs or the monitor they have.

But since it seems you aren't going to change your mind, go for it. I'd be curious to see how a limited scope on this sort of marginal playerbase would work out.
author=BizarreMonkey
[A few reasons, RPGmaker isn't at all optomized to be able to run games at higher resolution than the standard 640x480, if you can manage to do that and provide some additional features (being able to see more) then there's nothing particularly wrong with that, however it's going to force every map you made to be upscaled to that resolution, also to consider is that people who have a smaller resolution are going to have no hope in hell of playing your game. If you are trying to sell your game which seems to be implied, then given that you may have an unusual sort of game, you might want to atleast cater to the demographic some by not limiting them to having a huge monitor. I don't know how large the resolution is, but it doesn't deviate from the core issue here, in that unless you aren't able to add anything without sacrificing performance and playability, than I fail to see why the larger resolution is a necessary feature at all.¨

It is 1024x640, a resolution so tiny that it runs even on a 6 year old laptop of my mother which is not gaming rig. If you have even smaller monitor than that, I suggest purchasing one... they are not that expensive. I may lower it a bit to make it not wide screen but honestly, if you've bought a monitor in the past 1-16 years you should be able to play this game?

The bigger resolution means uncompressed quality artwork by the professional artist and giant monsters like Ungolia really come out looking a lot better due to it. It also allows far bigger monsters and bigger objects as more is able to be drawn on screen. My maps weren't tiny anyway, so I don't need to upscale them at all.

For the record, on my tests this game runs with less lag and drops in frames on the high res than an average RPG Maker game on full screen mode and 640x480.

The idea behind secret passages, treasure and traps is that players explore to find them, when they are all on screen it makes it very easy for players to see if the route is worth it and take it or not. Purely being able to see more of the map at once isn't enough to convince me that this is even a feature.

Unless you can scale down the resolution, but I have worked with things like this in the past myself and ultimately decided it wasn't worth it, and chances are that you do not have the power to let players scale it down, this is because the resolution in default is small enough that only an atari jagwire would have problems rendering it and so Rpgmaker never considered integrating support for a larger resolution, and it's very difficult to implement a larger resolution for it then to be choppy or just not work on some peoples PC's due to either their system specs or the monitor they have.

But since it seems you aren't going to change your mind, go for it. I'd be curious to see how a limited scope on this sort of marginal playerbase would work out.

I have the ability to give the players chance to scale it down but I don't know if that'd be worth it since then it'd crop some of the game out for them and trying to make the game playable on the lower resolutions would make it hard to work on the bigger and essentially render the whole big resolution pointless. You can't please everyone and I'm trying to please gamers who actually invest and buy products. Honestly, I don't think a person who has so low resolution monitor is actually active gamer and purchasing games on Steam in this day and age? You keep talking about like 1024x640 is like a huge high resolution on the year 2014.

The most common complaint about any RPG Maker game that has been sold commercial is the low resolution and no support for higher systems. I would love to see where you're pulling your statistics about which show active consumer gamers who have computers unable to run resolutions higher than 640x480?

Also, you don't see the whole map in that screenshot.
BizarreMonkey
I'll never change. "Me" is better than your opinion, dummy!
@Mister Big T: Okay you know what scratch my concerns I don't care about that suddenly. Good luck to you mate, always liked the style of your games, like the whole uncanny valley feeling most of them have. I should stop doubting you you've done this for as long if not longer than I have.

I made a cave that looks cool and has an awesome scene which won't be shown but yeah basically I fucking love these tiles Celianna, Lunarea and Ayene made. It's totally optional and can be found through a viney hole in Evergrove cliffs.

With that, there shall be no more updates until the game is release.

Well, unless you keep an eye on my production blog or something??
Are the white spots in the dialogue box in game? I'm not sure how I feel about them, they kinda seem like they'rer an error or something and kinda obstruct some of the letters.
Been really in a game making mood recently so I decided to crank out a map or two real fast... this is what I came up with.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah I agree with Mr. Big T - The number of people worldwide who would be interested in your game but can't display 1024p resolution on their computer is probably zero, and definitely single-digit. But the number of people who want the game to look nicer and not get stretched out as much is... everyone. Every single player. Literally everyone who is interested in playing your game wants it to look better, and increasing the resolution to 1024p does that without hurting even a single person's ability to play it.

Also yeah, people be bitching about RPG Maker's resolution on Steam nonstop. Can't blame em.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
author=LockeZ
Literally everyone who is interested in playing your game wants it to look better, and increasing the resolution to 1024p does that without hurting even a single person's ability to play it.

It hurts my ability to winebox your game on a three-year-old hacked phone. Think of my feelings!

(e: the solution to any problem in game development is ALWAYS "add it to your options menu")
Option: change every music track to something from The Essential Barry Manilow.

It's about time someone catered to the fanilows.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=LouisCyphre
winebox your game on a three-year-old hacked phone

Have you actually done this? This doesn't sound... playable. I mean first of all you'd need a slide-out keyboard, and second of all you're talking about a phone with probably less than 512 MB of RAM. If this is legitimately feasible, I'm extremely curious.

(Also, since we're talking about a commercial game, wouldn't you have to install Steam on your phone to obtain the game in the first place? That's even crazier, though if the game isn't protected very well maybe you can just copy the program files from one machine to another once you download it.)
Here's a screenshot of a new project I'm working on. It's going to be an urban-fantasy modern day magical academy kind of thing.

I know the bridge arcs could use some work, but yeah, what do you guys think?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Tom_Bombadil_, that's a cute little cave! Are those RMXP tiles set up for Ace?

blueperiod, I like it. Are the thick bricks supposed to be a wall or floor? If a wall, I suggest either using the railing on both sides or darkening the wall tile a bit more so that it contrasts against the walking path.

edit: duh the lantern's on it, it's a floor. Any reason you're not using the railing on both sides, then?
I thought it was a wall. If it is, then it and the ground beneath the bridge may be slightly too similar in colour/tone.
Craze, there are railings on the other side. Here's a picture of the full map.

Also, are you guys saying that the bricks of the wall don't contrast enough with the walking path? I honestly thought they looked different enough to differentiate, but maybe I should darken them. In any case, thanks for the feedback!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Oooh. I thought that the road was lower than the bridge, on the other side. I get it now.
They contrast enough. Making them darker would just be weird. I would make the bridge smaller though. There's space for like 6 buses side by side and a horde of zombies on the walkway. Unless she's sitting at a bridge on the freeway with a walkway on it (hint: the freeway rarely has walkways so that doesn't happen).
Ah, okay. I like it. To clarify, the bricks on the bridge wall look fine, but in the smaller image I thought the road - which I thought was a wall or something - looked too similar in colour and shade to the sand/dirt underneath the bridge.

But now it looks fine.
@Mister Big T: My only problem with the increased resolution is well, you're showing the entire map. Aesthetically it's gonna feel like an RTS if you use the increased resolution in that way. Most games, regardless of 3D or 2D tend to keep the player character a good proportion of the screen to not feel like an ant. I guess it also has to do with the 32x32 collision limit that you're potentially still tied to.

But yes this certainly isn't 2003 and its about time rpg maker got an actual resolution upgrade.
author=Darken
@Mister Big T: My only problem with the increased resolution is well, you're showing the entire map. Aesthetically it's gonna feel like an RTS if you use the increased resolution in that way. Most games, regardless of 3D or 2D tend to keep the player character a good proportion of the screen to not feel like an ant. I guess it also has to do with the 32x32 collision limit that you're potentially still tied to.

But yes this certainly isn't 2003 and its about time rpg maker got an actual resolution upgrade.

I think the aesthetic problems came mostly from the wideness rather than the overall size itself, so I'll see if I can fix that to make it seem more centered. It does add its own hiccups but also a lot of new rewarding stuff, such as being able to show bigger lines of dialogue on screen before scrolling, better quality text and imagery and so on and forth. It also allows me to make a far bigger emotion portraits that talk and blink and stuff without having there be just 3-5 words per screen before they have to be scrolled.

So I changed the resolution, it's not as wide as before and shouldn't make it seem like you're a midget.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
T, I'd strongly recommend you left-align the name window.

I like the portrait a lot, though!
Some of these screenshots are really nice looking! Much better than what I'm about to present. I'm sorry for garbaging up the thread with my crappy screenshot guys T-T

This is 25x25 right now.

So yes, I'm back to working on my game and right now I'm trying to figure out how to make an ancient Greece area for use in my cutscenes involving the Fragments of Pandora. This particular one is supposed to be right outside the temple where Fate (whom as you may be able to guess from the name can see destiny pretty much) is held at before the events of Pandora's Box. I just started on this, so there's nothing on the grass or anything. It's the most Greek-like tileset I had on hand (I don't have one for inside buildings though!). Temple doesn't feel like it's the right size either. I'm not sure.

Tileset for those curious:

If anyone has any good suggestions for tiles, or even wants to try tackling this for me (it's only used for cutscenes, and there's only a few of them, so it shouldn't take that long to whip up something for outside areas, and a couple for probably inside), then that'd be great. I'm more used to my other areas in the game which are more 1800 Japan/1500 European styled than ancient Greece stuff. x_x;;

EDIT - The current version.

That's all I got so far. Unless anyone else has any inputs or can help with fixing it up to look like an actual ancient Greek temple...