EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN

Pages: first 12345 next last
So... hopefully general discussion is the right place for this, but I was wondering what people thought about this Earthquake?

In case you don't know about it already, there was an 8.9 Earthquake yesterday just off the coast of Japan. It did a lot of damage on it's own but the Tsunami it caused had a much greater impact killing many, and pretty much crippling the communication, transportation, and electrical capabilities of the entire country. The Tsunami reached Hawaii and the West Coast but with fairly negligible impact there. An 8.9 is the strongest Earthquake Japan has ever had and the 5th largest on record in the world.

So... I give permission for this to turn into a discussion on the apocolopyse, or whether we should give foreign aid, or conspiracies on how this was caused by the bush campaign, or whatever else. I just want to know what people think.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
Its all Julia Gillards fault.

Or something...

But yeah, it has nothing to do with apocalypses and stuff. (even though the 2012 world ending thing is supposed to be going to be caused by earthquakes...)
author=Hoddmimir
So... I give permission for this to turn into a discussion on the apocolopyse, or whether we should give foreign aid (there's a discussion to be had here ??), or conspiracies on how this was caused by the bush campaign, or whatever else. I just want to know what people think.
really, please don't.
... I have friends from that area. I'm really worried.
LEECH
author=Hostilefun
... I have friends from that area. I'm really worried.

I have friends who recently left that area. Im thankful.
Everyone, please donate 1 chipset to the Japanese Earthquake relief Chain Game.

It's a terrible situation but I agree with geodude, there is nothing to discuss here.
Personally, I feel like there are a wide variety of possible things to discuss here. However, I recognize that there are those who don't. As such, I would recommend that those people who don't have anything to discuss, don't discuss.

Now then, By Julia Gillard, do we mean the Prime Minister of Australia? That would be a fun twist. They are close enough to Japan that they could have perhaps set off some sort of weapon to cause massive amounts of damage to Japan, but I have to ask... what is the motive?
author=geodude
hostilefun http://japan.person-finder.appspot.com/?lang=en i really hope they're okay.

I think that is really great of Google to do. I suppose it's possible they just want to look good but even if that is the case, hopefully some good and peace of mind will come to the people devastated by this terrible disaster.
LEECH
author=Hoddmimir
Personally, I feel like there are a wide variety of possible things to discuss here. However, I recognize that there are those who don't. As such, I would recommend that those people who don't have anything to discuss, don't discuss.

Now then, By Julia Gillard, do we mean the Prime Minister of Australia? That would be a fun twist. They are close enough to Japan that they could have perhaps set off some sort of weapon to cause massive amounts of damage to Japan, but I have to ask... what is the motive?

The motive is that we got them floods, now we want revenge. We caused the NZ earthquake aswell.

Edit: or maybe she's just pissed that no one likes her carbon tax.
Wow. You aussies are harsh. Remind me not to cross you. lol. Question for you though: Did Australia get hit with any of the tsunami make it far enough south to hit Australia or the nearby islands?
LEECH
author=Hoddmimir
Wow. You aussies are harsh. Remind me not to cross you. lol. Question for you though: Did Australia get hit with any of the tsunami make it far enough south to hit Australia or the nearby islands?

I dont think we got hit. We used papa new guniea has a shield apparently. :D
Got it. Hopefully they did not get hit to hard. It's a shame I think when a disaster manages to effect so many different places. As sad as it is for one place to get decimated, I would rather it be one place than having a bunch of minor damage all over the world. At least the big disaster areas attract attention and people send aid. The lesser damaged regions just get completely ignored. It's especially sucky for Japan though because they have spent a lot of money working on earthquake resistant buildings and technologies, but then they get hit with an Earthquake big enough that they really didn't stand a chance anyway, and then on top of that there really isn't a viable protection option from tsunami. It makes you wonder why you should even bother trying to protect yourself when stuff like this happens. (It's just like fighting an unwinable battle in videogames in some ways.)
LEECH
author=Hoddmimir
Got it. Hopefully they did not get hit to hard. It's a shame I think when a disaster manages to effect so many different places. As sad as it is for one place to get decimated, I would rather it be one place than having a bunch of minor damage all over the world. At least the big disaster areas attract attention and people send aid. The lesser damaged regions just get completely ignored. It's especially sucky for Japan though because they have spent a lot of money working on earthquake resistant buildings and technologies, but then they get hit with an Earthquake big enough that they really didn't stand a chance anyway, and then on top of that there really isn't a viable protection option from tsunami. It makes you wonder why you should even bother trying to protect yourself when stuff like this happens. (It's just like fighting an unwinable battle in videogames in some ways.)

Actually, a lot of the buildings in jap are still standing, (ive been watching the news)

Edit: we have a culprit, its geodude. He used earthquake.
The pictures I've seen have like whole piles of buildings, cars, buses, and boats. Those are probably just smaller buildings and residences then. It's good the building are doing ok. I guess all that money and research paid off!
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
He used earthquake.
The thing is, if you started to create a thread every time a tragedy takes place, this place would be overrun faster than BOF II updates.
we have a culprit, its geodude. He used earthquake.
Yeah, that disaster is pretty funny, right? -____-'
LEECH
author=Creation
He used earthquake.
The thing is, if you started to create a thread every time a tragedy takes place, this place would be overrun faster than BOF II updates.

This is a pretty big earthquake though. Its not one of the smaller disasters, and its affecting alot of places.
Thats why this one deserves a thread.
stop trying to make jokes about this. it's not that i care about making light of a recent disaster but none so far have the ability to be funny.

text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation right now~~
LEECH
author=Jericho
stop trying to make jokes about this. it's not that i care about making light of a recent disaster but none so far have the ability to be funny.

text REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation right now~~

I would honestly do that if i had $10.
Pages: first 12345 next last