EMO REQUIRE: DO RPGS NEED A STORY?

author=Darken
author=Craze
All I'm hearing is that "RPG gameplay is teh sux, the solution is to put more money into FMVs."
What exactly did you expect from making this topic? Everyone to say they really like dungeon crawlers?

I hate dungeon crawlers -_-
but thats not to say they are bad rpg's, its just a matter of my personal taste like I prefer open worlds and exploration but when its exploring a dungeon fighting countess enemies in some strategic battle system I go meh... lets go play some shooting games and have more fun. RPG's without stories and dungeon crawlers can be great but such games really need something extra like a free world and a great character creation system and fun battle system. Even the most grind-core dungeon crawler with a beautiful battle system can outdo the best written story game wise but I still hate dungeon crawlers because I'm not an old school rpg fan, I like SNES and only a few pop games like Earthbound, Chrono's Trigger ( never bothered with Final Fantasy since its soo popular not really a cult hit like Mother/Earthbound ).

All I'm saying is sometimes its impossible to classify what makes a good rpg since everyone has their own perspective of whats fun or essential for rpg's. I just like fun games, rpgs. shooters whatever as long as they are not too run of the mill and are generally enjoyable...
I guess RPGs need a story. But one of the basic aims of a proper RPG is to create a story rather than being told a story.

That summarizes it pretty well actually. I was thinking about writing a lengthy post to explain myself but looking at it it seems pretty clear and obvious.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
So Emanzi, you admit to generally not enjoying RPG gameplay/combat, then? So then do you make RPGs because...?
1) There are specific types of RPG gameplay/combat you do like?
2) You are stuck in 1997 and think RPGs are the only type of game that can have a story?
3) You want to turn the genre upside-down and make one that *is* fun to you?

Or am I misunderstanding, and your point isn't "I dislike the core mechanics of RPGs and think they're inferior to other types of games" but rather just "Most RPGs are bad and don't utilize the system well"? Because, well, no one's going to claim that second point is wrong, 90% of anything is garbage. But I assume everyone's goal here is to make games that are better than the status quo, yeah? We're talking about the games you're making yourselves here. So unless you think your own game's gameplay falls into that category as well, "most RPGs have gameplay that sucks" not a relevant point.
author=DE
An RPG without story is nothing more than an abstract combat simulator, a strategy game of a sort. Instead of making up definitions ask any player what are the most typical aspects of RPGs. I can guarantee you that most will tell you that they're story-driven games with focus on plot and characters instead of gameplay.
I think you are projecting a little bit here. (What I hear most often is a game with stats, and then they usually describe a particular battle system, and then talk about story.)

Most of the RPGs I play don't seem to focus on story (the focus seems to be on the battle system and the other mechanics that support it), especially "instead" of gameplay, but I do see that heavy attention is paid to story/worldbuilding. And I appreciate that.

Shinan
But one of the basic aims of a proper RPG is to create a story rather than being told a story.
I think this is where its at. I think an RPG is more about being immersed in an interactive story, rather it being about a story.

...if that makes any sense.
*edit*
Blanket statements are fun!
I remember a game developer once said, every game has a story, it's not just that obvious, even roguelikes have stories. For example, you are a hero and your job is to slay this dude by crossing over 93423413241 levels and grinding like there's no tomorrow. That's a story right there.

...I don't see the point on how RPGs could NOT have any story. If it doesn't have one then you won't have A SETTING. Just adding a setting in means there's "something going on there and it's your job to find out" - story. Come on people =v= If there's none then we'll be seeing some random skill names, battle algorithm, etc. Geez.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
An RPG doesn't require a story.
An RPG doesn't require graphics.
An RPG doesn't require audio.

That doesn't mean they're not still important to have.
RPGs don't need the grand story-telling to make a good game. RPGs that concentrate more on game play can be fun.
YOU MEAN REALLY
FFVII IS A SEQUEL TO FFX-2
WHAAAAT 0_0
PFFFF
*I've read that in the link in the first post*
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=Sailerius
An RPG doesn't require a story.
An RPG doesn't require graphics.
An RPG doesn't require audio.
An RPG doesn't require a computer.
An RPG doesn't require combat.
An RPG doesn't require numbers.
An RPG doesn't require user interaction.
An RPG doesn't require a player.

My new goal is to create the most unusual RPG ever in the name of avant-garde entertainment. I will call it... left. As in the concept that is opposite of right.

No, you cannot play this RPG. You cannot observe it. You are not involved at all. If you believe you can even comprehend it, you are thinking about it wrong. It simply exists. Possibly. In certain situations.

Actually it's already done. It was done before I ever got here. An RPG doesn't require a designer either. My job is only to define it as an RPG, and to make this avant-garde RPG known to an audience who will doubtless fail to "get" it.

Left is copyright 2011 B.U.R.G.E.R. Design, all rights reserved.
i used to think rpg genre was very broad and had many types to cater to everyones hunger and needs, but reading the comments i dont think that anymore...
DE
*click to edit*
The first rule of Fight Club is: you do not talk about Fight Club.
author=DE
Oh, and there's also the issue of RPG battle systems usually being the worst (boring + tedious) part of the game. Discard all the other parts and you're left with a game that's as fun as a visit to the dentist.

Although I agree that most battle systems are extremely boring... He did bring up the point that you would be able to spend more time on the battle-system as you would have extra time from not creating a storyline. This could make it very complex and interesting, and could actually make a fun game all by itself.
author=DE
Saying that RPGs don't need decent stories is like saying that movies don't need decent stories, only good visuals and good tolerable acting.
this is the only reason people like that colossal piece of shit Memento lol
...but movies don't need decent stories :\
I disagree. tastes are subjective and people like games for different reasons. repeat thread in one month.
All games have the ability to create from what theorists call "emergent narratives". These player-enacted, "low-level" narratives are different from the "high-level" narratives created by the game designer. If we define the genre in this sense, RPGs as essentially having "story" about the player, all games can be considered RPGs, because all games allow the player to create an emergent narrative in dialogue with the game design.

Further Reading:

Dansky, Richard and Kane, Brad. “Chapter 1: Introduction to Game Narrative.” Game Writing:Narrative Skills for Video Games. Published on Gamasutra. August 24th, 2006. Accessed April 1st, 2009.
URL: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1838/book_excerpt_and_review__game_.php

Jenkins, Henry. “Game Design as Narrative Architectural.” In Noah Wadrip-Fruin and Pat Harrigan (eds.) First Person: New Media as Story, Performance, Game. Cambridge, MIT Press, 2004. Accessed online April 4th, 2009.
URL: http://web.mit.edu/cms/People/henry3/games&narrative.html

Lindley, Craig. “Game Taxonomies: A High Level Framework for Game Analysis and Design”. Gamasutra. October 3rd, 2003. Accessed April 1st, 2009.
URL:http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2796/game_taxonomies_a_high_level_.php

Rouse, Richard. Game Design: Theory and Practice. Plano, TX: Wordware Publishing.
Give me a good story that makes me want to progress so I can see more of it or a minimal skeleton/no story where I can apply my own imagination. Just don't give me a lousy story.

A good story will overcome bad gameplay mechanics, good gameplay mechanics will help overcome a lack of story, but a bad story will kill the whole experience for me.
The times have changed. RPGs of the past have great gameplay, but only decent story, which doesn't matter, because gameplay alone is what propels players to play on.

Things like story, graphics, sounds, music etc are all really secondary and bonus effects. The core element of a RPG (Role-Playing Game) is to play as a role of a character, and you control him to do loads of stuff like leveling, wandering around the world etc, achieving the character's objectives etc. That is what a true RPG should at least have. The rest are all secondary but are "icings to the cake" to enhance the taste of an RPG.

That said, I play RPGs for the story really, but most of the time, the gameplay is just as per typical.
author=Jericho
I disagree. tastes are subjective and people like games for different reasons. repeat thread in one month.

you're wrong, that's impossible...

There are too many factors to include when trying to figure this kind of thing out. I enjoy the Mario & Luigi series a lot, and the story is laughable. But what Darken said is right, I think charm is the right word to use in this case, because the game has a lot of it. It has very good scenario design, which is key in creating a world that you want to explore while making it feel larger than it really is. As a wise man once said, the journey is more important than the destination...