ACHIEVEMENTS, GOGOGO

Pages: 1
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I wouldn't give achievements for page views/downloads as those are far too easy to manipulate/abuse. An idea I had back in the day was to give achievements for writing a certain number of reviews/articles/tutorials (5, 10, 25, 50, etc) to try to encourage these activities.

Edit: Also, I believe achievements have to be given manually given by an admin, they cannot be handled autonomously, so keep that in mind too.
Yeah, downloads and pageviews are great, but they are their own reward (plus, now that I implemented sorting by views and downloads, the value of downloads and views have increased, imo). But I do like the idea of doling out achievements for activities we want to encourage!

Articles, reviews, tutorials, ....umm....number of completed games ...? I can see us having achievements for that.

And yes, I do have to manually assign them. Luckily, Ankylo and I implemented an achievement administration panel, so we don't have to go into the database anymore to do it!
Achievement for attracting a certain number of subscribers+ perhaps?
Of course this can also be manipulated, but I wonder who'd be even THAT desperate.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
I would not give achievements for something patently out of the user's control. Downloads, subscribers, etc, all these are things that a user not out to game the system can't directly influence. Achievements should reflect what you contribute to the site, not used as another means of e-peen measuring.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
Achievment for having a certain number of other achievments?
author=Solitayre
I would not give achievements for something patently out of the user's control. Downloads, subscribers, etc, all these are things that a user not out to game the system can't directly influence. Achievements should reflect what you contribute to the site, not used as another means of e-peen measuring.

I agree.
author=ldida1
Achievment for having a certain number of other achievments?

Achievement chain Reaction

author=NewBlack
I agree.

ditto
Is there any feasible way to have scriptable achievements? I know WIP was working on something like that, an XP and VX script call that would give the player achievements that would show up on RMN. Of course, they wouldn't count for makerscore, but maybe they could be viewable on a separate list in a player's profile?

At least, I think that's what he said. There could be a technical reason why this was never implemented.
author=Drakonais
an XP and VX script call that would give the player achievements that would show up on RMN.

whaaaaaaaaaaaa
author=calunio
author=Drakonais
an XP and VX script call that would give the player achievements that would show up on RMN.
whaaaaaaaaaaaa

its true, that was the master plan for achievements.

it kind of fell through, though...
author=Fallen-Griever
Achievements should reflect what you contribute to the site, not used as another means of e-peen measuring.
Developing a game that gets a high number of views and therefore attracts people to the site/the RM community isn't contributing?
That's why you get ridiculous amounts of makerscore for games with good ratings (and a 50% bonus if it is completed, not to mention all the makerscore you get for gamepages, blogs, and downloads).
I don't have an xbox, so I am not sure...?
Pages: 1