MY OPINIONS

Pages: first 12 next last
I have been fairly dormant in the community for a long while, doing like twelve history degrees and writing screenplays and teleplays and regular plays. But I want to come back and make games and release games and take a more active part in RMN again. I haven't released a game in so long that I forget what it's like to have other people play your stuff and like it. It's worth the work, right? Maybe I have always aimed too high for myself but now the result is that I am sitting on a HUGE stockpile of pixel art and I am waiting for something to do with it all.

I guess I'm just asking each of you, is it worth it? What do you think? Is rpgmaking still worth the effort? I wonder if it is, even though I have this (questionable?) desire to be positive and waste some time making a game and showing it off to you guys.

I guess it's not worth it if I don't enjoy it, is the point of it all. Maybe I just got older. I've been floating around the community for 11 years (oh god) and I've honestly still got nothing better to do.

Maybe I still enjoy it. I never really enjoyed playing any of your games, though. Most of them weren't very good. There are some gems. About 10% have a certain charm for me. That being said, over the years, standards have definetly risen. We all got older, maybe. Personally, I haven't done much in the past few years though. Maybe that's the problem. We all move on to other things before we realize our potential at this small, particular, peculiar craft, because we don't feel like it's worth it.

Maybe the community is maybe too small? Or we have this Catholic complex where we feel guilty about it for some reason. Or maybe that's just me. I am pretty soaking Catholic. I feel guilty about everything.

I realize full well nothing I say should be taken seriously ipso facto welp welp

thats right rmn you are once again the target of my existential episodes
It is. Trust me.

Welcome back.

If you need help, ask for it.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
you are a cool dude who has some very cool ideas from what i've seen.

we could use more people like you 'round these parts.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I definitely think it is worth it.
You leave a digital mark of sorts, for hopefully others to see for a long time to come.
RTP and communal resources alientate me, I think. I am so sick of looking at them. YOU should try and make your own graphics, or edit exiting ones to the point that they no longer share the style of their source. EVEN IF THEY ARE CRAPPY MSP CHARSETS, they will still look like YOU made them.

This is now my official rant thread.

If you throw away the apple core you are throwing out 25% of the apple. Eat the core. It's not going to kill you. It's good for you. It's apple. The seeds are also apple. Eat the seeds.
If you have a huge stockpile of pixel art and a storyline I can make your game for you!
You echo my sentiments regarding rpgmaker a lot.. Sometimes I just think "learn to make 'real' games" (whatever that means is up in the air) and "is this worth the effort"... But I blame that on my own character flaws.
author=Blitzen
RTP and communal resources alientate me, I think. I am so sick of looking at them. YOU should try and make your own graphics, or edit exiting ones to the point that they no longer share the style of their source. EVEN IF THEY ARE CRAPPY MSP CHARSETS, they will still look like YOU made them.

I agree entirely.

Gunslingers looks great.

But are we ready to start talking about finishing games? Cause I think you have a problem with that.
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
On one hand, I don't think you'll have anyone bitching and saying that making a game isn't worth it (considering the nature of this website...).

On the other hand:
On the other hand, I am a very hardcore believer of this. The RTP unfortunately end up being more of a crutch than a help for game creators.

I can understand that some people might not have artistic talent but still, anyone can do some editing.

The most disheartening is when talented artists end up using RIP or RTP. It's sad because they have the skills to create something unique but they don't.
Note, the following might get a bit corny...

Its always worth creating something from total scratch and sharing it with friends, I'm also for 100% customized and original games however I'm still a newbie ( have alot to learn ) regarding e.g you who's been in the game for 11 years ( wow, thats inedible no matter how "guilty" you might feel about this ) but then again if you really don't enjoy it anymore genuinely then theirs nothing you can do but maybe finding some new hobbies or something but if you just feel disappointed maybe you spent so much time making a great game and after you got all the praise and recognition you where like "so what now?", might feel disappointed or something but the entire point is do make something you love and to enjoy what you do regardless of opinions.

The whole point of anything indie is to be independent and make or do something thats rewarding on its own and that you genuinely enjoy.

I feel like I'm going to make rpg games for the rest of my life because I can't do anything else that gives me the sense of enjoyment and inspiration from creating worlds, characters, making up a story ( as well as escaping in others and my own imagination ) me and rpg games are pretty much soul-mates.

Anything is possible thats why I love rpg's they are so free in terms of escapism and adventure. Apart from that I also get down when I make something and feel like I wasted my time e.g it gets frustrating and challenging but this is also what makes it worthwhile when you finally fix that bug thats been messing with your battle system or tweak the sprite you never thought would work out. It all pays off cause once you're gone nothing will be left but the legacy you left behind somewhere deep down in cyber space lol o.k might not sound like an achievement but it all pays off when you create something that can live on forever.

Trust in your instincts Blitzen, hope you can find something that can give you that sense of enjoyment once again. Hope my little text block cheered you up a little.

author=Blitzen

My thoughts exactly :)
author=Blitzen
If you throw away the apple core you are throwing out 25% of the apple. Eat the core. It's not going to kill you. It's good for you. It's apple. The seeds are also apple. Eat the seeds.

thank you. people are always like "You eat the core??" and i'm like "this is literally the united states of america."
I don't eat the core. but then, I don't eat melon rinds, orange peels, banana peels or eggshells either. I am weird that way.
I've heard that you can eat the skin of a kiwi, and that there are parts of the world where people actually do this on a regular basis. Because of this, I'm tempted to attempt the feat whenever I find myself feasting on kiwi's, but I always balk at the crucial moment.
I can barely stand the skin of a peach, tbh.
I can eat a whole naked garlic so an apples no big deal, plum skins taste bitter though.
author=kentona
I don't eat the core. but then, I don't eat melon rinds, orange peels, banana peels or eggshells either. I am weird that way.

who the hell eats egg shells!?
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
author=Neok
I've heard that you can eat the skin of a kiwi, and that there are parts of the world where people actually do this on a regular basis. Because of this, I'm tempted to attempt the feat whenever I find myself feasting on kiwi's, but I always balk at the crucial moment.

Kiwi skins are fucking good bro.
YDS
member of the bull moose party
you know, when i read that
i totally thought you guys were talking about this

Pages: first 12 next last