MIDI KEYBOARD QUESTION

Pages: 1
I know this is a crazy question, and I may lose some of your respect by even THINKING it might be possible, but here goes. To start out, did any of you guys ever have one of those toy casio keyboards that had an instrument bank, a pattern bank and a song bank? I think it's a casio sa-75 or 76 or something like that. Anyways, it doesn't have any kind of output jack, only speakers (because it's a toy), and I was wondering if it would be possible to solder a midi output jack somewhere so that it would send out a MIDI signal before it gets to the "renderer". I would imagine that it would already use MIDI, because from a development standpoint, why change something you won't see.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
probably a little more complex than just shoving a midi output all up in its grille, especially if it's a toy keyboard. not all of them are as sophisticated as you might think.

you could always circuit bend it, tricky as that is. with that you can not only play stuff through it to make crazy alien noises, but you can set yourself up with a 1/4 inch output to record the crazy alien noises you make with it!
If it has a song bank, chances are it uses midi, but how you would intercept that is far beyond me. Does it have a record feature (not sample recording obviously, but play recording)? If not, I doubt you'd ever be able to use it as a midi controller.

If you're looking to use unique or retro sounds from the keyboard, look more into tardis's post above. If you're looking for a midi controller, a great dual-purpose option is the Rock Band keyboard. 75 bucks, you get the game with it, and it has midi output =)
author=tardis
probably a little more complex than just shoving a midi output all up in its grille, especially if it's a toy keyboard. not all of them are as sophisticated as you might think.

you could always circuit bend it, tricky as that is. with that you can not only play stuff through it to make crazy alien noises, but you can set yourself up with a 1/4 inch output to record the crazy alien noises you make with it!
But I don't want crazy alien sounds, but I was thinking of putting a 3 way (or if a MIDI jack isn't possible, 2 way) switch and a 3.5 mm jack just before the speakers.

Update: I've opened it up partway, but the last screw is stripped, so I'll get a drill in a little bit to break the head off.
Pages: 1