GAMES THAT USE RTP GRAPHICS?

Pages: first prev 12 last
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
author=LockeZ
Oh, it is possible in VX? I was under the impression that VX had a maximum number of tiles and a maximum number of tilesets, which makes it difficult for any alternate or edited tileset to actually offer more versatility than the RTP. I guess I'm vaguely aware that there's some sort of script you can use to partially get around it but I never did check up on the details. (I use XP these days.)

I have no idea why they decided to F tileset functionality in the A, but thankfully scripting solves everything. Basically you copy+paste the script in, and tell it which tiles to use for which maps. Done.

DwarvenFortress -> Swap default tileset out to DwarvenTileSet.png

The annoying part is making the map, if DwarvenTiles are way different. TileA is your 'base' layer. Save a copy of TileA. Make DwarvenTileSet into TileA. Make your map out of TileA/Dwarven. Replace TileA/Dwarven with TileA/Original. Your Dwarven maps won't appear to make any sense in the editor (just like if you opened it with 2k3 and changed the Tileset the map is made out of) but it will make sense in the game when the script automatically does the above swapping for you.

I make a new project, with the DwarvenTile in it, and never change it back to the default tile. I can make all edits to the Dwarven maps in the new project, copy+paste them into the original. It still won't look like it makes sense, but I was making correct edits.

So mildly annoying, yes. But it works. (I consider this a fair tradeoff for everything else VX lets me do ... it's the ONLY thing that has become more complicated for me.)
author=LockeZ
Oh, it is possible in VX? I was under the impression that VX had a maximum number of tiles and a maximum number of tilesets, which makes it difficult for any alternate or edited tileset to actually offer more versatility than the RTP. I guess I'm vaguely aware that there's some sort of script you can use to partially get around it but I never did check up on the details. (I use XP these days.)

There's two methods: scripts/programs that switch tile sets and parallax mapping. With the latter you can pull off some amazing stuff. But both require a little extra work to make your maps look pretty.
I think you mean the BulletXt tile-swap script which is good but also so bothersome compared to other rpg makers. VX has alot of limits that get annoying but its best you keep things simple with it otherwise XP is a much better choice for more complex and artistic mapping plus the rtp in X.P Imo is the best.
author=Pladough
author=LockeZ
There's two methods: scripts/programs that switch tile sets and parallax mapping. With the latter you can pull off some amazing stuff. But both require a little extra work to make your maps look pretty.

I prefer parallax mapping a thousand times more, its what makes VX mapping a lot more enjoyable as you can see the parallax in development instead of having to always test play.
BulletXt really is a godsend for VX mappers. SwapXT is a little bothersome to use but allows for unlimited reserve tilesets. And his autoshadow disabler script is pretty awesome too.
yeah, you can even swap live in real time during the game for some pretty wicked effects, swapXT is the one of the best scripts for VX its one of those scripts that are soo good their almost mandatory.
Pages: first prev 12 last