ON THE SCENE

Pages: 1
Hello everyone.

WOW. I used to lurk around the RM2k scenes years ago (before There was anything more advanced than RM2k). GamingGroundZero was the most bustling place on the scene. I remember "Dragon Saga: Running Water" being a heavyweight kingpin notable more for its length and how much it wanted to be Suikoden. There were a bunch of demos for games that probably never got finished, like "A Blurred Line," "Dreamscape," "Tyrant God Saga," I think one was called "Ecolthied."

Then my friend gives me a StumbleUpon link. The sidebar on the website was about "Laxius Force" and I thought, "that game MUST have been made on RM2k."

So: what's new and changed? Do people still use RM2k or has everyone migrated to newer versions? What do the new versions offer? Where do the good spriters and tile artists hang out nowadays? What's good with life in general?

8-)
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Most people have migrated to XP and VX, which offer far more sophisticated controls (such as the ability to write code directly instead of having to fuss with events), but there are a handful of people who still use 2k3. The big sites for RM development aside from RMN are HBGames.org (previously RMXP.org and before that, RMXP.net) and RPGRevolution.com. Of the two, HBGames has a more mature community and a stronger emphasis on the development of art assets (such as sprites and tilesets).

Welcome back to the community! You'll find that some pretty impressive games have been made in the time since 2k and even more impressive games are still being made.
I have yet to move on from RM2k3 really...

A Blurred Line was never finished, but it's here on RMN. Welcome! Share stories of the ye olde days!
Haha, in the old days there were no Pokemon games. I don't remember anyone working on any remakes/fan games. Everyone wanted to launch their own property. For example, Dragon Saga IV: Running Water. No one was precisely clear what happened to numbers 1&2, but #3 was supposedly an RM95 game. Yup, RM95. If you wanted to make a Dragon Warrior ripoff, RM95 was your go-to program.

Are the RMXP and RMVX resources compatible? I've noted that there is a lot more RMXP resources out there.
author=Xiero
Are the RMXP and RMVX resources compatible? I've noted that there is a lot more RMXP resources out there.
Yes, but you'll need a special resource converter. (except for things like battle animations and pictures)
Also, welcome! Post lots!
Pages: 1