BADASS MAPPING CONTEST

Pages: first 123456 next last
Someone had to make one, so why not me?

Idea came from here.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the...

Description
Make a map within the given theme. Coolest map will win.

Theme
Wild West Duel.
It means the setting is the Wild West.
It also means that a duel must be going on.

Submissions
Entries must be screenshots of the maps, not actual projects or map files.
Maximum size is twice the width OR twice the height of a regular screenshot.
This means, for instance, if you're using RM2K3, you can post a screenshot up to 640x240 or 320x480. You can post a 320x240 screenshot, but you cannot post a 640x480 screenshot.
Post submissions on this topic.

Rules
Map made in RPGMaker (any version).
Panorama mapping allowed.
Map must contain at least two characters (the ones dueling).
Members can submit any number of entries.

Deadline
April 23rd, 2011.

Judges
I'll leave this up to debate, but my idea so far is having three people outside the RPGMaker community judging it. Probably gamers and people somewhat related to graphical design.

Prizes
Winner gets a Badass Mapper ribbon that you can show your friends.
This is not an official RMN event, so there are no achievements or makerscore.

Entries

LockeZ

InfectionFiles

arcan

diaeitsch

Ketsumio

Dyhalto
err

i think you probably should have waited until it was organised / used any of the ideas from the thread / not jumped the gun
Happy
Devil's in the details
Even so Calunio can still organize his own contest I guess? Not that I'd be too fond of the rules of this contest, though, as they rely more on person's artistic skill than actual level design abilities with limited set of tools.
Well, no one was organizing anything, they were just complaining about each other's ideas. And I didn't ignore the discussion on the thread.

This is not meant to be the ultimate contest, or the last, or the only one. Hopefully people will participate.
author=calunio
Well, everyone other than Craze was organizing, Craze was just complaining about everyone else's ideas.

if that's the case how have you managed to come up with these terrible stipulations
Maybe because I'm a terrible person.

Well, let's see if anyone is into this. If not, we'll just go back to the other topic and continue the discussion about 2k3 versus VX.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I approve, I will be creating a map.

I also approve of jumping the gun, since it's not an official contest or anything, and there's no point in arguing about the specifics for more than a few minutes. Really I am pretty sure we all know how maps work. People who don't like the rules can join (or start) a different contest. Personally I prefer contests to have an arbitrary set of rules - I don't really care what the rules are as long as they confine the submissions to a very specific type of map, because that's far easier to pick a definitive winner for. Plus it forces people to do things they haven't done before and aren't comfortable with, making them better mappers in the process.
author=LockeZ
People who don't like the rules can join (or start) a different contest. Personally I prefer contests to have an arbitrary set of rules - I don't really care what the rules are as long as they confine the submissions to a very specific type of map, because that's far easier to pick a definitive winner for. Plus it forces people to do things they haven't done before and aren't comfortable with, making them better mappers in the process.

My thoughts exactly.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Sign me up! I'm going to map the floors with y'all!
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
I think you did the right thing. It's not like everyone would have eventually agreed on the same set of rules anyway. Eventually you need to show some leadership and grab the bull by the horns, me thinks.

The theme is interesting although I find the duel perhaps a bit restrictive. Will be looking forward to the results.

Sign me up! I'll use a superfluous amount of pictures and transparency >>b
author=LockeZ
People who don't like the rules can join (or start) a different contest.

couldn't join this one even if i wanted to
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Have you been banned, or are you just physically incapable of creating a map with a maximum size and a theme?

These are pretty normal restrictions if you were asked to make a map for a project, by the way. The project's story designer would be in charge of deciding what the story role of this map would be and what events would occur here, and the project's gameplay designer would be in charge of deciding the pacing and length of each town and dungeon. You, as the environment artist, would be in charge of creating a map that fulfilled their requirements.

Actually these requirements are pretty loose. Last time I was asked to make a town map for someone, I was told all this, plus how many exits it needed in each direction, what each of those exits should lead to, how many buildings to include in the town, how busy the town should be, how well fortified it should look, and that it needed a save point that you couldn't miss while coming from the southern entrance but that was still quickly accessible from the other entrances. So if I had to choose between making this contest more or less restrictive, I'd make it moreso.

If you let people just do whatever the hell they want, it's not a realistic assessment of creating good looking maps - it's instead an assessment of coming up with creative ideas for areas, which is a very different skill (and one that's almost impossible to judge).
Ergh wild west, it'll take a while to find tiles for it. I'll try to make it on time.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Sign me up!

Being from Texas, this is almost a given.
but damn, such a tough theme to run with. </3
author=LockeZ
Have you been banned, or are you just physically incapable of creating a map with a maximum size and a theme?

author=calunio
RulesMap made in RPGMaker (any version).
LockeZ
I had to read your post 15 times before I even realized you were actually quoting a rule rather than a lack of one.
xtreme comprehension skills
arcan
Having a signature is too mainstream. I'm not part of your system!
I'll probably enter if I come up with something.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is

The Old Timer proved to be too slow for the Young Gun.
If only he hadn't mistaken youth for inexperience...

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.
And this being my first contest/event ever on RMN, it was fun to work in a limited environment.
The only thing that bothered me was the size restrictions, but overall, not bad. :]
Pages: first 123456 next last